Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 09:39 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And what else can one do ? I hope to never be involved in a fire, I hope to never get cancer, I hope to never lose my job again..... What is your point ?
I don't have to hope I won't shoot someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 09:50 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,923 times
Last time I RENEWED my DL, which was not expired, I had to have 4 forms of ID, including my marriage certificate that showed that I had, at some point, changed my name from my original name on my birth certificate.

Had to show my SS card, my previous license and a bill with my name and address on it. I then had to pay $30, take an eye exam and have a picture taken.

THEN I got my license, once they made sure that I didn't have too many violations or too many 'points' for traffic violations or DUIs.

I once got pulled over for a tail light that was out that I was unaware of and got a warning, had to get it fixed withing 3 days and go down to the police department to have them verify it.

AND, I get to do it all over again in 5 years.

Go for it. Make the gun laws just like the hoops you have to jump through to get and maintain a driver's license, and then we'll talk.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:51 AM

29,470 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I don't have to hope I won't shoot someone.

I don't have to hope I don't get in a car accident either but I do. Still not following you....ah, I get it. If someone has a gun , knife , whatever at your wife's head you will just sit there and comply. If a group of people kick in your front door you will just help them do what ever they want. I get it.

So using your logic, what does a cop do when he straps on that sidearm every day ? Does hope to not use it or ??

Old 08-11-2016, 09:55 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,910 times
Quote:
I don't have to hope I don't get in a car accident either but I do. Still not following you....ah, I get it. If someone has a gun , knife , whatever at your wife's head you will just sit there and comply. If a group of people kick in your front door you will just help them do what ever they want. I get it.
Anybody comes in here with evil on their minds gets hurt. I don't need a gun to defend myself or my family. I used to teach violence, and I haven't forgotten any of it. While you're digging for your gun I'll be in the fight and loving it.
Quote:
So using your logic, what does a cop do when he straps on that sidearm every day ? Does hope to not use it or ??
Ask a policeman if he hopes to use his gun today. I'll wait. (Jeopardy theme plays.)

Old 08-11-2016, 10:02 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
Quote:
Wrong. I carry a firearm, and I hope I go to my grave without ever having to pull the trigger on another human or animal.
Doesn't negate what the weapon is designed for.

You *hope* to not shoot someone, but you can and will if you need to. So at that point we will be *hoping* your judgement at the time is correct.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Anybody comes in here with evil on their minds gets hurt. I don't need a gun to defend myself or my family. I used to teach violence, and I haven't forgotten any of it. While you're digging for your gun I'll be in the fight and loving it.

Ask a policeman if he hopes to use his gun today. I'll wait. (Jeopardy theme plays.)

Good for you. I wish I could be like the MMA tough guys. That is really great, you are around your family 24 / 7 to protect them as well. I'm quite envious, not only are you MMA worthy but you must not have to work as well. Very cool. While I'd like to say I could fight off any attacker, the reality of it is that it won't happen. And my wife, well she's only 105lbs and she is on her own for 8 hours a day so no one is there to protect her if needed.

A couple of red flags have shown themselves...you like to fight, and you think all cops want to shoot someone. You are one of the people that I am glad doesn't carry a gun.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Doesn't negate what the weapon is designed for.

You *hope* to not shoot someone, but you can and will if you need to. So at that point we will be *hoping* your judgement at the time is correct.

Some choose to embrace the 2A and protect ourselves, others don't. It's that simple. A firearm is a tool nothing more. For me it is a defense one. That is my right. And you are correct, it is a huge responsibility, and it isn't for everyone.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:16 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,923 times
Quote:
Some choose to embrace the 2A and protect ourselves, others don't. It's that simple. A firearm is a tool nothing more. For me it is a defense one. That is my right.
Sure it is your right. But then agree to better backgound checks and loophole restrictions so that the people you are defending yourself against are not more blood thirsty and sociopathic than you.

Do you really want it to come to a confrontation?

Old 08-11-2016, 10:20 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,728,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
You don't "arm" yourself with a car now do you? Not exactly an efficient way to kill someone. Now a gun, that's a really efficient way to kill things.
Nice, France.

Depends on whom, how many, and how they are armed that determines how efficient a weapon might be.

'nuff said.

CN

Old 08-11-2016, 10:21 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times
This is not that hard. Guns are made to kill and cars are not made to kill. Easy, huh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies