Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 06:55 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I would not give him up at all.
I would like to hear Erdogan make his case if he can.

Very good question, and Turkey is a major issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 05:50 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
A couple of interesting replies.

Of course, as President, one must have all the facts. The United States does have an extradition treaty with Turkey, as follows:

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/tu...df/32t3111.pdf

I think Article 3 (Conditions of Refusal) is perhaps applicable.

Of course, as one poster noted by implication, there are wheels within wheels. The President of Turkey just met with Putin of Russia. Relationships between the two powers had been strained, if you will recall, by Turkey having shot down a Russian military jet that Turkey claimed had strayed over its territory (from Syria). Russia imposed sanctions against Turkey. However, things improved after President Erdogan wrote a letter to the family of the dead pilot last month, and President Putin was among the first to express support for Erdogan during the failed coup. The two countries do have close economic ties.

Will not sending back Gulen drive Turkey closer to Russia, including militarily?

Yet, it seems very doubtful that Turkey has any basis for us to extradite Mr. Gulen. I have not seen where he has been charged with breaking any Turkish laws, although I suspect that President Erdogen will take care of that soon. Yet, in accordance with Article 3, above, would we not suspect that any such criminal charge is politically motivated?

As for those that believe that we should simply send Mr. Gulen 'back', from the country that he has lived in since 1999, would that not violate the express treaty? Plus, Mr. Erdogan and Turkey is, rather obviously, headed for a dictatorship. As we have learned long ago, you cannot appease a dictator. Return Mr. Gulen, and Turkey will start demanding more of its exiled citizens living in the United States.

As President, I would stick to the clear language of the Treaty, citing Article 3. Of course, we would inform Turkey through the Turkish embassy here in the United States, or perhaps through our embassy in Ankara.

It seems unlikely, at present, that Turkey would withdraw from NATO (it has been a member since 1952). However, if Turkey and Russia enter into a new alliance, of course Turkey may conclude that 'defense' against Russia is no longer necessary (the purpose, after all, of NATO).

Old 08-12-2016, 05:56 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
We have a lot of posters whom are good at "Monday Morning Quarterbacking". Now, it is your opportunity to tell us what you would do, today, if you were the President.

First, one link:

Erdogan calls on White House to choose between Gulen and Turkey - UPI.com

In a nutshell, President Erdogan of Turkey is demanding that the United States forthwith send Mr. Gulen (whom Erdogan suspects of leading the recent revolt) to Turkey.

President Erdogan has issued an ultimatum: The United States must choose between Mr. Gulen or Turkey. In his words:

"Sooner or later the U.S. will make a choice. Either Turkey or FETO," Erdogan said. "Either the coup-plotting terrorist FETO or the democratic country Turkey. It has to make this choice."

YOU are the President. What will you do?

Oh, and no saying 'hold off until the election and let the new president deal with it next January'.

What's he worth to ya?

Old 08-12-2016, 06:14 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
I would drag my feet, sending lesser diplomats over there, basically to humiliate him by not bothering to give much attention to his big baby fit.

On the back end, I'd be sending my best CIA guys over there to see what I could whip up. ( under close supervision ) They almost had a coup, and we can't afford Turkey to become another Islamist sh!thole.

Erogdan needs to go. I'd feed him to Putin if necessary. He did shoot down one of their planes.

Edited to add: I'd be eaten alive by the press for : Doing Nothing !

Old 08-12-2016, 07:08 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I would drag my feet, sending lesser diplomats over there, basically to humiliate him by not bothering to give much attention to his big baby fit.

On the back end, I'd be sending my best CIA guys over there to see what I could whip up. ( under close supervision ) They almost had a coup, and we can't afford Turkey to become another Islamist sh!thole.

Erogdan needs to go. I'd feed him to Putin if necessary. He did shoot down one of their planes.

Edited to add: I'd be eaten alive by the press for : Doing Nothing !
It's a fine line, we need Turkey but this is a turn for the worst although not critical. He has not made his case for Gulen but I can see someone popping up in the near future to accuse him.

Turkey is an important country for our military bases and resolving the refugee crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies