Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 01:40 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I share your concerns. Too young. We believe in this country that a person is not competent to decide whether or not to engage in sexual activity prior to 18 (16, in some states), but we think they are competent enough to change their gender by permanently altering their body before that age?

My biggest concern at this point is that it has become en vogue to have a transgender child. There is every reason to worry about parents pushing their child into this.
What they fail to realize, and what is hard to get across to people, is just how horrifying this is. It does seem as though some think it's trendy to be TG. Nothing could be further from the truth. The truth is I spent a lifetime trying to wish it all away, until I finally had to accept it. I'm not saying I'm all that in the IQ dept., but I'd love to meet this child's Psychologist, because I'd (metaphorically) tear him to shreds in a debate about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 01:42 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Wait...what?

Just to make sure I understand you, this family you know had sexual reassignment surgery for a 9-year-old?

Did I just read that right?!?!?
Wondering about that as well. I have a child on the trans "scale", gender fluid and has no desire to change. I've never heard of reassignment at 9.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
IMHO most TG's would agree with you here.
One would hope so. These parents are not the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Honestly, people shouldn't be allowed to change the gender of a child. It's not only disgusting, what if you're wrong. If your son changes his mind later he now has to live life without a wiener..

Haha

That's the last thing we should be concerned with. The damage to this child's psyche if they are wrong will be catastrophic. That might sound melodramatic, but it isn't. Once one goes far enough down this road, there is no way back.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Yep, used to be called being a TomBoy.

I completely agree.
Just an FYI y'all, it's not about a girl being a "tomboy". Nor is it about "effeminate" boys wanting to play with dolls.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I share your concerns. Too young. We believe in this country that a person is not competent to decide whether or not to engage in sexual activity prior to 18 (16, in some states), but we think they are competent enough to change their gender by permanently altering their body before that age?

My biggest concern at this point is that it has become en vogue to have a transgender child. There is every reason to worry about parents pushing their child into this.

En vogue? I don't know about the parents of *this kid but I can tell you it has been a horrifying experience for me. It's not fun. It's not trendy. It's scary. I worry about my kid all the time. My kid came out to me as gay in middle school. I always suspected that and coming to grips with that was easy. Really easy. Transgender is much more complicated. And in my kid's case they aren't 100% transgender, though I suspect that might be coming. If someone is using their kid to feel en vogue, as put, then that makes me sick.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I actually saw a former "sissy boy" classmate on facebook. Married with kids. I just can't see starting treatment on anyone before they reach the age of puberty at a minimum.
You do realize, I hope, when you and your classmates were thinking this guy was a "sissy boy", that was your perception of him, not his perception of himself.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
En vogue? I don't know about the parents of *this kid but I can tell you it has been a horrifying experience for me. It's not fun. It's not trendy. It's scary. I worry about my kid all the time. My kid came out to me as gay in middle school. I always suspected that and coming to grips with that was easy. Really easy. Transgender is much more complicated. And in my kid's case they aren't 100% transgender, though I suspect that might be coming. If someone is using their kid to feel en vogue, as put, then that makes me sick.
With you as a parent. your kid will be fine. I really believe that. My family disowned me, I figured this out largely on my own. Your kid has the support I never had; and aside from some metaphorical cuts, scrapes and bruises I'm doing pretty ok, and I'm surprisingly sane lol jk. I'm thankful your kid has you as a parent.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:15 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I know a transgender...his sister was my best friend...she was indeed a people magnet, everyone loved her...she was intelligent, and had so many artistic skills, plus the will of a lion....
I think he wants to be his sister...he idolized her so much so, he wears a wig that looks just like her hair...and he looks a lot like her.

In this particular case I have to wonder how much the parent/s were responsible for this so called change? The parent stated that she realized her son was different by the age of 2 and (in the original link) stated: "My child was very feminine, flamboyant and dramatic. No matter how I tried to punish, reshape or discipline her, she continued being very feminine." However, as parents, we all have our 'unique' style of instruction for our children. We all expose our children to differing degrees of exposure to the world through the use of television, radio, internet, school, social events, and friends and family. Plus, as we guide our young, our interpretation of what they see and hear can reflect our own personal perspective.

I am just hesitant to approve of the identification of transgender children at such a young age. I am not saying that it is impossible; I would just be more comfortable if this decision was left up to the kids as they had more time to experience life.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
With you as a parent. your kid will be fine. I really believe that. My family disowned me, I figured this out largely on my own. Your kid has the support I never had; and aside from some metaphorical cuts, scrapes and bruises I'm doing pretty ok, and I'm surprisingly sane lol jk. I'm thankful your kid has you as a parent.
Thank you, geekigurl. I know that my kid is OK with me, but it's a big world out there. That's what I worry about. And when I read that it's somehow trendy to have a kid on the trans scale, it makes me nuts. I'm so sorry about your family's response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies