Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 08:18 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
So you are suggesting that sexual harassment of women isn't going to happen on American beaches just because its against the law? Sexual assault is illegal in Europe also -- how much has that helped Swedish and German girls and women?
You've never been to a beach during spring break have you? There is also a difference in that and assault which is what we were discussing. Do you really think no one would notice you changing the subject as your previous attempts were shown to be a failure?

Why do people do this?

Quote:
I notice you've made the same statement several times on this thread. Sorry, your heart may be in the right place, but you are being illogical and naïve. By your reasoning, no crime would ever occur, because, well . . . crime is against the law.
Illegal things happen now. Using your reasoning, we should ban men and women from the same beach. When something happens we have answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 08:31 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You've never been to a beach during spring break have you? There is also a difference in that and assault which is what we were discussing. Do you really think no one would notice you changing the subject as your previous attempts were shown to be a failure?

Why do people do this?

Illegal things happen now. Using your reasoning, we should ban men and women from the same beach. When something happens we have answers.

Your response makes no sense. Yes, there is a difference between behavior at a beach during spring break and sexual assault. Are you suggesting that the events in Europe at festivals, beaches and public pools are similar to the behavior of teenagers on Spring Break? I've yet to hear of any mass sexual assaults committed in public by American teenagers.

How exactly am I changing the subject? And what was my previous attempt? My message has been consistent. You have taken an idealistic and yet unrealistic position that we have nothing to worry about because we have laws and therefore we can afford to be tolerant. I am saying that while our way of life should indeed be tolerant of all customs, there is a problem when our tolerance lets the house guests become the landlords.

Using my reasoning, we should ban men and women from the same beach? No need. Most American and European men don't seem to have the problem that when they see a woman in a bathing suit or other revealing Western dress they become sexual predators. More than that, they don't justify it and blame the victim.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:42 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Your response makes no sense. Yes, there is a difference between behavior at a beach during spring break and sexual assault.
Nevermind.

Why do people think this is a legitimate reply? I'll never understand.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:44 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,121 times
Quote:
Nevermind.

Why do people resort to dissimulating with BS when their reasoning falls apart?
But hey, I've enjoyed talking with you.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:15 AM

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Nevermind.

In all fairness, that reply makes sense. It seems like you just like to argue for the sake of arguing sometimes.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:40 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,472,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
When Jews Mormons and Witnesses start blowing up things and cutting off heads shouting praises to their gods then something wil need to be done. Until then sane rational people will see the one religion that is a threat to the World and that is Islam.
I'm sorry - I thought this thread was about clothes.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:08 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Quote:
So you are suggesting that sexual harassment of women isn't going to happen on American beaches just because its against the law? Sexual assault is illegal in Europe also -- how much has that helped Swedish and German girls and women?

I notice you've made the same statement several times on this thread. Sorry, your heart may be in the right place, but you are being illogical and naïve. By your reasoning, no crime would ever occur, because, well . . . crime is against the law.
Sexual harassment and violence already happens on beaches, unfortunately. Arresting the perps is the solution. Religiously motivated harassment does not get a pass.

No one thinks that laws prevent crime. The question is, do we arrest people for what they actually do? Or do we seek to prohibit them based on what we think they might do, regardless of whether that individual has actually done anything culpable?

Sexual harassment and even violence are overwhelmingly male crimes. Maybe we should just ban men from beaches. Women and children can continue to enjoy the beaches, whether dressed in bikinis or burkinis. I guarantee you that sexual harassment and violence on beaches would decrease.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
As I said in a earlier post, I'm generally in favor of people wearing what they like anywhere they like, and I don't find the burkini per se offensive at all. Its true that women in other groups also swim in similar clothing. I'm actually uncomfortable banning the burkini.

But this debate is not just about burkinis. Its about a continuing trend to Islamize the Western world, a topic that is frequently discussed in this Forum and elsewhere. When one side is uncompromising and determined to impose their culture, and the other side is insecure about their identity and willing to give ground, its not hard to see what direction our Western culture will take. Maybe you think this is the natural course of things and we should accept the changes, but some of us aren't ready for the Darwin Award just yet.
Well, this thread IS actually about burkinis. It's right there in the title.

It isn't ISIL or Al Qaeda or Hamas that is wearing burkinis to the beach.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I find Islam repugnant. I also find government telling people what they can wear repugnant.
No kidding. Looking at a burkina-wearing woman on a beach and seeing a violent jihadist is - odd.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:

Using my reasoning, we should ban men and women from the same beach? No need. Most American and European men don't seem to have the problem that when they see a woman in a bathing suit or other revealing Western dress they become sexual predators. More than that, they don't justify it and blame the victim.
Oh really? Sexual harassment was unknown on our beaches (and other public places) before islam appeared in america????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies