Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 07:06 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Wouldn't that be a great compromise instead of the mass deportation and mass amnesty propositions by the major parties? Expand the guest worker program so that businesses can take advantage of cheap labor, force the workers to pay taxes, and allow the undocumented immigrants stay.

Unions didn't like guest worker programs back in the day and that has largely not changed. They will fight to the mat any scheme that increases those numbers.

For decades the United States had a pretty reasonable guest worker program for agriculture. Mostly Mexicans could come and work, then return home. It was after that program was ended and or largely curtailed you began seeing huge increases in "illegals" crossing the border.

Farm/agriculture work must be done, by and large Americans do not want any part of it, and the groups that traditionally made up large numbers of such workers (African-Americans, poor whites, European immigrants) have largely moved onto other types of work as things opened up.

Guest workers cannot vote in elections thus rob unions of potential member numbers that can make an impact. You can organize farm workers all you like, but if they cannot vote in local and or federal elections no one is going to pay much attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 07:44 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Unions didn't like guest worker programs back in the day and that has largely not changed. They will fight to the mat any scheme that increases those numbers.

For decades the United States had a pretty reasonable guest worker program for agriculture. Mostly Mexicans could come and work, then return home. It was after that program was ended and or largely curtailed you began seeing huge increases in "illegals" crossing the border.

Farm/agriculture work must be done, by and large Americans do not want any part of it, and the groups that traditionally made up large numbers of such workers (African-Americans, poor whites, European immigrants) have largely moved onto other types of work as things opened up.

Guest workers cannot vote in elections thus rob unions of potential member numbers that can make an impact. You can organize farm workers all you like, but if they cannot vote in local and or federal elections no one is going to pay much attention.

You're wrong. The unlimited H-2A visas for ag workers still exists. It's just that some of the growers like the cheap, illegal labor instead to increase their profits. Only 2% of illegals are picking crops anyway. The rest are doing jobs that Americans were doing already and always have done for a fair wage.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:53 PM

3,332 posts, read 1,963,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Screw that.

The fact that illegal immigration has negatively affected the earning power and employability of lower-educated Americans is undisputed.

The fact that white collar immigration (H1Bs and the like) has negatively affected the earning power, wage growth, and employability of college-educated Americans is undisputed.

We need to deport every last illegal immigrant in this country. Make it so difficult for them to manage their daily affairs and work for a living that they have no choice but to leave. Give them a deadline to self-deport and if they're still here after the deadline, start round-ups and confiscate all of their assets while imposing lifetime bans on returning to the US. Do away with birthright citizenship as well.

We also need an immediate moratorium on work-related immigration. Impose high tax penalties on companies who have a workforce comprised of 20% or above H1Bs/green card workers. We can talk about ending the moratorium when our STEM graduates are actually able to find STEM work in acceptable numbers. Until then, those "skilled" workers can stay in their home countries. It's an outright lie that we have a "skills shortage" when these "skilled" workers are being trained by the very Americans whose jobs they are here to steal so those same Americans can receive their severance packages.

It's time to put Americans first.
Definitely this is the post of the day if not the post of the week.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:00 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,058 times
So..on with Operation Wet**** ll?

*sheesh* There are times..when I kinda wish that someone would try just what is being proposed by a number of posters. I would be hard-pressed to come-up with a more destabilizing tactic then mass deportations and dislocations.

Or is that the real plan..to push the 'end of the world' scenario that the hard-core survivalists want?

It's interesting that some of the same people that are so ardent in their defense of the Constitution have no issues with changing the parts they don't like..i.e.birthright citizenship etc..

No importa, este país será bilingüe en pocos años. Después de eso, los pocos blancos que no se pueden ajustar se tienen que mover a Idaho.

No wait..that's where I live!

Old 08-20-2016, 09:21 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Trump has advocated for the expansion of the guest worker program.

There will be no mass deportation no matter who is elected. It would takes decades to do so assuming there was a sincere intent to do so.

Right before the nomination Trump began walking back mass deportation- said he never implied such a thing- media made it up, blah, blah, blah. He referred to Obama as the Deporter Chief responsible for deporting more people than any other POTUS. Unlike Obama, Trump said he will be compassionate.

Like any politician, it depends on the audience and day of the week.
The Soviets, Chinese, and Germans rounded up millions of people in a few years using WW2 tech. I assure you the US can do it easily and in no time at all.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:12 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post

*sheesh* There are times..when I kinda wish that someone would try just what is being proposed by a number of posters. I would be hard-pressed to come-up with a more destabilizing tactic then mass deportations and dislocations.

Or is that the real plan..to push the 'end of the world' scenario that the hard-core survivalists want?

It's interesting that some of the same people that are so ardent in their defense of the Constitution have no issues with changing the parts they don't like..i.e.birthright citizenship etc..

No importa, este país será bilingüe en pocos años. Después de eso, los pocos blancos que no se pueden ajustar se tienen que mover a Idaho.

LOL your Spanish sucks.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:05 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post

Most of us just want the laws enforced on the books. In other words, instead of giving illegals stays of deportation like Obama has deport them as they are found. As for the rest of them just remove all of the incentives for them to remain here and many will self-deport.

It was never intended by the writer's of the Constitution to make birthright citizens of children of illegal aliens. The wording is clear. It has merely been a PC practice to deem them so. That needs to be corrected. Amendments have been made to the Constitution many times is this something new to you? In this case though, an Amendment isn't even needed.

We are only supposed to post in English here.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:09 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
For decades the United States had a pretty reasonable guest worker program for agriculture.
"Reasonable" if you think government's job should be to provide businesses with temporary foreign labor at below-market cost.

Quote:
Farm/agriculture work must be done, by and large Americans do not want any part of it
Americans will work on farms if they are paid sufficiently for it. I have a number of friends who went to college, majored in agriculture, and now work on farms.

The difference is that they're growing things like corn, cotton or soybeans, which are not labor-intensive. You can earn a good living doing that type of farm work. The types of agribusinesses who want "immigrant labor" are those who are labor-intensive, growing things like cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, berries and other truck crops that are hand-picked, and they pay less than half for that than they do for something like soybeans.

So the bottom line here is simple : Americans can and do work on farms, but it is not worth their time to work for $6 - 10 /hr, no-benefits, seasonal jobs. Farm owners want foreign migrant labor because they don't want to pay market wages needed to hire Americans to do that work.

We are a market economy, not a Soviet Collective. "Shortages" are a fantasy. Wages are set by a market. If a farm owner can't find workers at $6/hr, then he or she should offer $10/hr, or $15, or, $30 or $45 or whatever it takes to attract people. Farm owners not offering competitive compensation, and then complaining they can't find workers. It's like me complaining that I can't find a brand new Ford F-150 for $100. It ain't indicative of a shortage of Ford trucks.

Last edited by le roi; 08-21-2016 at 09:29 AM..

Old 08-21-2016, 09:17 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Wouldn't that be a great compromise instead of the mass deportation and mass amnesty propositions by the major parties? Expand the guest worker program so that businesses can take advantage of cheap labor, force the workers to pay taxes, and allow the undocumented immigrants stay.
That was tried back in 18th and 19th centuries!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaver..._United_States

Old 08-21-2016, 12:47 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Most of us just want the laws enforced on the books. In other words, instead of giving illegals stays of deportation like Obama has deport them as they are found. As for the rest of them just remove all of the incentives for them to remain here and many will self-deport.

It was never intended by the writer's of the Constitution to make birthright citizens of children of illegal aliens. The wording is clear. It has merely been a PC practice to deem them so. That needs to be corrected. Amendments have been made to the Constitution many times is this something new to you? In this case though, an Amendment isn't even needed.

We are only supposed to post in English here.
Sorry, my bad...silly attempt to use my sparse Spanish to make a point.

I'm not sure about your use of "PC practice" as the SCOTUS has ruled on this, thus at least giving it the patina of being constitutional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies