Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2016, 12:01 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Housing prices would come down with less people chasing for housing.
Booting out illegal immigrants, putting a stop to foreign cash buyers, not allowing banks to keep houses off the market.
I don't think it's really our place to tell the banks what to do with forclosed houses BUT these are our houses now. We bailed the banks out of them, they belong to us so everything changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 12:06 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I read a book written in the early 60's called, "The Waste Makers" by an economist named Vance Packard.

You should check it out.
Thanks

I am reading the Top Customer Reviews on Amazon which appears to have a very high 5 star rating

Quote:
This book is a real eye opener and helps us to understand just how we've been duped by manufacturers and big business into buying products we don't need, or buying products we already have, by planned obsolescence.
It is something I am very well aware of.

Again, the solution is to throw Corporate and Banking Lobbyists out of the Government
They do not have this countries best interests in mind, just the execs and shareholders

I want them nowhere near our government or media
They have proven for the last 30 years what a disaster it is

Old 08-17-2016, 12:13 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode View Post
That's not valid. Remember companies moved overseas to increase profits, --not to sell us their good cheaper. There has been no decrease that I know of in the cost of anything made by companies that moved manufacturing overseas, but they are making more profit. Did the price of your iPhone fall after Apple moved manufacturing overseas? LOL!!
Maybe you should stop laughing and start reading about business and pricing.

CEO's are obligated to return as much profit as possible to their shareholders. If that means moving operations to lower cost areas, that's what they will do.

Yes, prices of thousands of goods are cheaper because they are made in lower cost countries. That includes electronics, shoes, clothing and many many other goods. Our standard of living today is very high in part due to products being made at cheaper locations.

I was involved in pricing offshore services for my company and can assure you that our prices dropped dramatically when we used India labor rather than US labor.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't think it's really our place to tell the banks what to do with forclosed houses BUT these are our houses now. We bailed the banks out of them, they belong to us so everything changes.
I agree, the moment they received bail outs and on top of that, were able to sell their fraudulent toxic instruments back to the government at prime market price gave the tax payers a say on what they do.

If I had it my way, a lot of financial firms would be shutdown with the owners jailed, the country would be worse off for the rich, but the ones barely surviving on the bottom would make due.

We would be a lot better off by now if this had happened.

Instead, we keep rewarding irresponsible and reckless behavior to coddle and protect the top wealthy at everyone else's expense.

This is not going to go away either and is going to get worse because the same dam people are still in power doing the same dam things, going from the Big Financial Firms and Big Corporations to DC and back in a merry go round.

Trump will not be able to fix this unless we have a Hitler styled President

Old 08-17-2016, 12:19 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

I was involved in pricing offshore services for my company and can assure you that our prices dropped dramatically when we used India labor rather than US labor.
GWP. You needed to insist that you over paid your workers in India so that GWP didn't contract. But everyone needs to do it as if one doesn't they have an advantage.

That is part of why unions made America rich. By making everyone pay the higher wages. Then it was up to the owners to get value out of the workers.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:20 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode View Post
What does that mean? Maybe you mean that "we the people" should be able to dictate where goods are manufactured in order to ensure it is "cost effective"? I'm not sure that's what you mean. What do you mean?
It's a simple concept. Consumers benefit when goods are made at the most cost effective location.

The job of a CEO is to make profits for his shareholders. Usually, that means lowering costs to be competitive which increases sales and profits. Sometimes that means moving operations to a lower cost area. Other times it means outsourcing to another company that can provide that service cheaper and/or better.

Consumers can choose to only buy goods that are made in their location. Sometimes that choice will cost more, but that's their choice. Some companies market to that segment of consumers who want locally made products regardless of the cost. That's certainly one business model, but not many companies do that because most consumers prefer lower prices.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:

CEO's are obligated to return as much profit as possible to their shareholders. If that means moving operations to lower cost areas, that's what they will do.

In all the thought process's over the years regarding returns to shareholders, have you ever ONCE thought about the consumers, workers and citizens or nation in your models?

Have you?

Is all you think about is short term quarterly profits?

I have attended meetings and have never seen this discussed. EVER
It is always about the shareholders. Always

Don't you think this is a problem at a National Security Level?

Old 08-17-2016, 12:25 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,439 times
Quote:
It's a simple concept. Consumers benefit when goods are made at the most cost effective location.

Yes and no. GWP is in two parts, wages and everything else. Contract wages and you need to expand everything else to make up, that translates into a debt bubble. Overpaying workers in a low labor rate job market is a cheep way to expand GWP.

Why should people whose only concern is shareholder profits be allowed to have any say in the running of our nations economy?

We have seen it over and over and over again, they are not concerned about this country, just shareholder profits

So why should they be allowed to be anywhere near our national political or economic process?

The Constitution States:

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Do Corporations have that anywhere in their charter?

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:

They are obligated to do far more than this. They are also obligated to look after the long term health of a corporation and in many cases the only thing being looked after is the next financial statement.

Quote:
Yes, prices of thousands of goods are cheaper because they are made in lower cost countries. That includes electronics, shoes, clothing and many many other goods. Our standard of living today is very high in part due to products being made at cheaper locations.

And wages here dropped. Wages dropped, social programs increased. A business does also have an obligation to those they want to purchase their products.

People could rectify this but sadly they will not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies