Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 12:44 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
It isn't that it wasn't possible it was that it really didn't work at all. Taxing it yes banning it no. You can repeal the repeal of the prohibition of alcohol but why?

Banning Alcohol organized crime in America.
As I said before, I don't want to ban alcohol or tax it more than any other food or beverage.

My point is that if you want government to stop people from drinking alcohol (which it has no business doing), then you should try to ban it and not tax it.

If a person has an alcohol problem, the only thing additional taxes will do is add monetary problems for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 12:49 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually alcohol CAN be banned and it doesnt require a constitutional amendment to do it. also note that the q8th amendment did NOT ban the consumption of alcohol, only the manufacture and transportation of alcohol.

but note that in america, there are dry counties, where no alcohol is allowed to be sold or consumed. in fact the county in kentucky where jim beam is made is a dry county. all teh 21st amendment did was make it legal at the federal level to make and transport alcohol again.
Dry counties are kind of a running joke as they are bordered by wet counties and you should see everyone haul booze. We just had a wedding in a dry county and not a sober one in the barn

Old 08-15-2016, 01:10 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, there is or is not a mechanism?
The text in the Constitution is forever however amendments can supersede what was previously written. A new amendment banning alcohol like the 18th would ban it, you don't necessarily need to do it that way though. Not sure if ContrarianEcon realized it but an amendment repealing the 21st would immediately reinstate the 18th.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:33 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I don't see why we should, but I'm a fan of American craft brewing. I don't see why targeting that industry for decline through government meddling would be desireable.

I think self-driving cars will help alleviate a lot of the 'huge problem' with alcohol, if regulators and law enforcement don't stand in the way.
Alcohol and soon to follow marijuana aren't just problems on the road...

Taxes never go away..be slow to tax ..it will disappear into the coffers of politicians.

There are associated health problems...some serious..
Alcohol is a poison
Marijuana contains numerous carcinogens

Both have many problems associated with them.

We all pay..

Remember mj users for example
Use more sick time
Steal from employers at a greater rate
Are injured more often on the job

This probably mirrors alcohol

Self driving cars...Americans are getting primed to give up all responsibility ...drugs and alcohol use make acquiescence all that much easier

ALLthe above being said I'm ok with heavy taxation ofthe above because of the costs to society

Old 08-15-2016, 01:39 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
No. It would just mean more Eric Garners and more Fergusons. More black markets.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:41 PM

18,455 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
In my life, the people I know to be smokers are on the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum. Every higher income person I know doesn't smoke while every smoker I know doesn't do well financially.

I don't believe expensive cigarettes dissuade smokers, it only eats up more of their income.

As a former smoker, I can confirm this.

People who smoke don't quit because of the cost.
If the cost is prohibitive, they will find a way around it.

I used to drive to another state with lower taxes and stock up, other people I knew bought bootleg, un taxed ciggs, others rolled their own.

People don't quit smoking until their ready to quit smoking.

Same thing with drinking.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:15 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,997 times
Feb 2015 govt study says alcohol is only common rec drug with statistically significant increase in crashes.
There is a 0% chance of cancer from cannabis due to cancer fighters THC, CBD, terpenes & more.
MJ users don't have more sick time as it isn't a poison & doesn't cause hangovers. If a MJ user is employed, they won't risk non-employment by stealing, or how would they pay for cannabis?

Alcohol & cannabis have little in common. Cannabis users may go years without going to a doctor and may not have missed a single day of work in many years. Non-poison over poisons saves taxpayers money.
Also, cannabis makes people non-violent if anything will do it. Yet police say ban it forever so we don't live longer, healthier, & happier lives, so police don't have work shortage & get fired, and why must they protect profits of businesses that kill some of us? Most guns are on the street to protect product and cash from sales, as they can't go to police to report a robbery. Why do you think this is good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post

Alcohol is a poison

We all pay..

Use more sick time

Self driving cars...Americans are getting primed to give up all responsibility ...drugs and alcohol use make acquiescence all that much easier

ALLthe above being said I'm ok with heavy taxation ofthe above because of the costs to society

Old 08-15-2016, 10:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Dry counties are kind of a running joke as they are bordered by wet counties and you should see everyone haul booze. We just had a wedding in a dry county and not a sober one in the barn
yeah, i understand that, and for the most part transporting alcohol into and through a dry county is essentially blue law, until such time as a cop wants to nail you on something, and then katy bar the door if you are breaking the law.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:37 PM

32,067 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post

Taxes never go away..be slow to tax ..it will disappear into the coffers of politicians.

Alcohol is a poison

We all pay..

Use more sick time

Omg, they do not. You do know that the majority of employees do drug tests. But please site the articles you are getting your info from.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:16 AM

27,137 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
We should do a lot more that Nordic nations do. We should tax the hell out of tobacco as well

Umm, we already do.

If we did not cigarettes would be way cheaper than they are.
Most of their cost is tax already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies