Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 09:05 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times

Advertisements

How could any self-respecting human being want to increase tax on alcohol? /boggle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 01:29 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
How could any self-respecting human being want to increase tax on alcohol? /boggle
Because they are control freaks who want to make you live the life they have determined is proper.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:34 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Because they are control freaks who want to make you live the life they have determined is proper.
The US is the only country with a 21 year legal limit for alcohol purchase and also ban both internet gambling and prostitution. These are pushed hard by Republicans who claim to support American super freedom and lament the lack of freedom in countries where they are more liberal.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:06 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The US is the only country with a 21 year legal limit for alcohol purchase and also ban both internet gambling and prostitution. These are pushed hard by Republicans who claim to support American super freedom and lament the lack of freedom in countries where they are more liberal.
and yet when democrats were in charge of everything, they did NOTHING to change these things. sorry my friend, but it isnt just republicans. its BOTH sides of the isle.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:03 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Tax the crap out of alcohol.
Tax the crap out of tobacco.
Tax the crap out of dope.

In short tax the crap out of any feel good substance.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:28 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and yet when democrats were in charge of everything, they did NOTHING to change these things. sorry my friend, but it isnt just republicans. its BOTH sides of the isle.
I wonder if the Democrats and Liberals would like this Nordic-style of legislation on our alcohol. It's not based on religion so they shouldn't worry about any right-wing rhetoric, but maybe it could arguably curb alcoholism?

Old 08-17-2016, 06:47 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
I understand their demographics but I would like to know if we as a nation should follow their ideas on alcohol since we have a huge problem with it.
How do we have a huge problem with alcohol? The only time I can see where we had one was during Prohibition- when we tried to ban it.

The Nordic Countries, in direct contrast, do have a problem with alcohol. Something about that brooding character. They tax the hell out of it and yet you see numerous people drunk at all hours.

Look e30is: The Nordic Countries are certainly successful countries. But they are have problems like everyone else. If they were so perfect, then Italy, Greece, and other European countries would copy them verbatim.

Look on the bright side. America has more in common with Scandinavia than not. Hell, a lot of people here are of Scandinavian descent (me!). We both have democracies that coexist with social welfare states. Yes, your country has a social welfare state. It's been there since the 1930s.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:24 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
I wonder if the Democrats and Liberals would like this Nordic-style of legislation on our alcohol. It's not based on religion so they shouldn't worry about any right-wing rhetoric, but maybe it could arguably curb alcoholism?
Why on Earth would "Liberals" want to curb alcoholism? Have you not been paying attention? They are too busy trying to promote drug use and abuse, not curb it.

I don't support nanny-state regulations but I also don't support actively promoting depravity either.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:27 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
So called sin taxes are regressive taxes on the poor and are promoted by people who claim to be the champions of the poor (i.e. liberals).

Old 08-17-2016, 12:28 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Tax the crap out of alcohol.
Tax the crap out of tobacco.
Tax the crap out of dope.

In short tax the crap out of any feel good substance.
Yes, because responsible adults should be punished financially if they do things that others don't approve of. Lets add coffee to the list though, tax the crap out of it as you say. Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies