Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 12:16 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
You didn't post link fyi.

Amazing story. I think stories like this will increase as the baby boomers get older and their kids live far away.
It's already happening peequi. They call it the sandwich generation.... a generation of people, typically in their thirties or forties, responsible for bringing up their own children and for the care of their aging parents.

I'll also add, responsible for paying for other people and their kids and at the same time have to save for our own elderly years because we won't qualify for the "safety net".

We always wanted to move south and actually started looking at homes. If we had found the house we wanted, bought it and moved then what. My mom had her stroke before we found a house and that put an end to that. We are stuck her again.

http://ei.marketwatch.com//Multimedi...2-0015c588e0f6

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-15-2016 at 01:42 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 12:32 PM

According to a 2013 Pew research report, “Nearly half of adults in their 40s and 50s are either raising a young child or financially supporting a grown child (age 18 or older).

And about one-in-seven middle-aged adults is providing financial support to both an aging parent and a child”. In 2005, the sandwich generation was largely made up of baby boomers.

Fast forward to 2014, and the boomers have started to age out of the sandwich generation and become the recipients of care from the new sandwich generation. Generation X is now the predominant demographic in the sandwich generation.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:36 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,375 times
Sandwich, that describes it well. Funny how longer life spans has caused this. The problems of a 1st world society lol

Old 08-15-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
Sandwich, that describes it well. Funny how longer life spans has caused this. The problems of a 1st world society lol
Actually it's not funny peequi. It's a lot of stress, we put our lives on the back burner and it's an added financial burden "not of our doing".

In my family I'm the only one able to contribute financially while being hammered with high taxes. They say that those with annual household incomes of $100,000 or more are more likely than less affluent adults to be in the sandwich generation.

What in the F*** did I do wrong to deserve this? I didn't have kids before I could afford to support them. I went to college, worked and paid my way all my life, didn't get myself all screwed up in cc debt. lived a life I could afford. I've been putting what I can away for my own elderly years and paying taxes out the a** end and some idiots think we can afford to pay more taxes.

There are many middle class stuck in the same situation and it's no laughing matter.

Unlike the poor, we don't get help. I can't stand the whining from the poor who will get everything paid for with the taxes we pay.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:53 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Well, maybe that's the way it is where you live, but it isn't where I live.

Actually, one time I did call the police because I heard yelling coming from a house where an old man lived. I thought maybe there might be an intruder in his house or something.

Turns out he had fallen in his basement and broken his hip. He couldn't make it back up the stairs to get to the phone and was in the basement for about three days before I called and the police found him.

Anyway, you have no comment about the OP. Can't think of any solution, huh?

Probably should have been more neighborly.... to know the difference in distress and an everyday occurrence.

3 days... I would have found the guy in the first hour. If he was yelling and that's unusual.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:59 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Actually it's not funny peequi. It's a lot of stress, we put our lives on the back burner and it's an added financial burden "not of our doing".

In my family I'm the only one able to contribute financially while being hammered with high taxes. They say that those with annual household incomes of $100,000 or more are more likely than less affluent adults to be in the sandwich generation.

What in the F*** did I do wrong to deserve this? I didn't have kids before I could afford to support them. I went to college, worked and paid my way all my life, didn't get myself all screwed up in cc debt. lived a life I could afford. I've been putting what I can away for my own elderly years and paying taxes out the a** end and some idiots think we can afford to pay more taxes.

There are many middle class stuck in the same situation and it's no laughing matter.

Unlike the poor, we don't get help. I can't stand the whining from the poor who will get everything paid for with the taxes we pay.
You need to move your mother into your home. I believe you can themclaim her as a dependent. That will help with your taxes.

Children over 18 living at home need to contribute to the household. They need to pay rent and help with chores

Old 08-15-2016, 01:09 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Probably should have been more neighborly.... to know the difference in distress and an everyday occurrence.

3 days... I would have found the guy in the first hour. If he was yelling and that's unusual.
I didn't listen to him yelling for three days! Sheesh! The first time I heard him I called the police.

I wasn't home all day, I was working. He was in his basement and our houses are not close together.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:13 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Very sad situation. There should be a better answer out there.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
You need to move your mother into your home. I believe you can themclaim her as a dependent. That will help with your taxes.

Children over 18 living at home need to contribute to the household. They need to pay rent and help with chores
I take it you're a nurse, you should know what it takes to care for an elderly person especially one that is post stroke and broken hip that needs assistance to walk, always taking them to doctors appointments, dispensing the medications, a Bipap at night, cooking regular meals, etc. Who will take care of her in the morning, in the afternoon while I'm at work.

The poor get 20 hours a week of medicaid paid for home nurse assistant care. I have to pay for every hour of that care plus additional time. It's a nightmare. I pay $12 an hour and if they raise minimum wage to $15 I'm really screwed. I will have to quit my job I guess, I don't know what I'll do.

It sure would be nice to get that 20 hours of free nursing home assistance like the poor get. It would help a lot. Nicer yet, it would sure be nice to be able to keep more of my money so I can pay for the help.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post

My uncle no longer speaks to me because I didm't sell my house and move in with her. I'm married and DH doesn't want to. Do you suppose I should divorce DH to move in with mom?

Although I'm the only one paying for her care he wrote me out of his will because he said I'm wrong. My brothers who don't pay anything toward her care are still in the will besides, he said you're doing ok, you don't need help.

Life's screwy that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies