Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 06:50 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Government has taken over all the neighborly duties. It is why we will turn in our neighbors for the littlest infraction of laws and code violations and call the police if other neighbors are yelling at each other across the fence.

No one is neighborly in our own little box world and our cell phones.
Or perhaps government has been put in the position of filling the void within communities.

I tend to believe this community help thing is an urban myth.

Maybe it happened and still does within some church communities in smaller towns.

I am an on again/ off again Meals on Wheels home delivery volunteer. It's mind blowing how many elderly have no near- by families and they outlived their friends.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:55 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Which State is this occurring? It appears from my research..many States have legislation in place to deal with such things.

Depending on State..IF no other alternative was available..what the heck could this women do! She obviously could do ALL other Care for him..just unable to get her husband in and out of bed! Obviously it it was available she could have had some social services to do just that..So that's why I ask EHAT STATE?

Some try to suggest her income was oboe some threshold..BS..SO prorate the charge for such a service ..Geesh!

Once I figure out which State...I really cannot suggest any remedy..however..I believe this women tried every avenue before resorting to this! IF she didn't..then just Maybe EMT ( 911 servies would have recognized the actual need required) could have recommended..SOMETHING!

Course I happen to live in a place that "Social Services" are always available..and depending on income and available family alternatives..There may be a slight charge..BUT gees! Using Essential Service to do what anybody with experience to use a lift..to do required ( necessary) service..is ridiculous!!

Ohhh well..What can I say?????
In Virginia, I don't know of anyone who has ever been charged for a call. It's pretty standard practice to charge the insurance company, if there is any, and not charge a co-payment to an individual.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:58 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Growing up in the 60-70's, seemed most everyone had at least one grandma stashed in their home.

I don't personally know anyone right now who has taken an aging parent into their home. I have known some in the past who have been the primary caregivers of a parent with Alzheimer's, a 24/7 job from hell.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:23 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Liberals seem to have this impression that conservatives are cold hearted sob's but that is the liberal media misrepresenting us and it is parroted.

Some of us have experienced conservatives as cold hearted sob's (as you put it, although I think that's going too far). It isn't just what we know from the media.

Last edited by phetaroi; 08-15-2016 at 10:11 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 09:58 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Some of us have experienced conservatives as cold hearted sob's (as you put it, although I think that's going too far. It isn't just what we know from the media.
And some of us have witness lazy people who refuse to get a job, always get into trouble and then think they should get more handouts.

I've already mentioned my bad breathed cousin who doesn't brush his teeth, smokes, can't hold a job alcoholic. Oh but he looooves Obama and says the rich should pay more while this white low life ass refuses to take responsibility for himself. Oh I forgot, he likes to beat on women.

The girl with 3 kids, all lazy and big as a barn lived with her mother. One day a snow storm hit, she went over to MIL house who was worried sick about her kids getting home from work safely. So what does welfare girls say?.. "Now what fool would be out there in that snow". MIL got really mad and said "those fools out there working to support your fat ass".

What did her daughter do? She had a kid, went on welfare, daddy who comes around here and there on welfare too.

Oh and of course the drugged out son and on and on.

I'm sure we can all contribute stories and you think conservatives are the problem? Why because they're tapped out and can't give you more stuff? Take a look in the mirror, then you'll see who's the problem.

Last edited by petch751; 08-15-2016 at 10:14 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
And some of us have witness lazy people who refuse to get a job, always get into trouble and then think they should get more handouts.

The girl with 3 kids, all lazy and big as a barn lived with her mother. One day a snow storm hit, she went over to MIL house who was worried sick about her kids getting home from work safely. So what does welfare girls say?.. "Now what fool would be out there in that snow". MIL got really mad and said "those fools out there working to support your fat ass".

What did her daughter do? She had a kid, went on welfare, daddy who comes around here and there on welfare too.

Oh and of course the drugged out son and on and on.

I've already mentioned my bad breathed cousin who doesn't brush his teeth, smokes, can't hold a job alcoholic. Oh but he looooves Obama and says the rich should pay more while his white low life ass refuses to take responsibility for himself.

I'm sure we can all contribute stories and you think conservatives are the problem? Take a look in the mirror.
Have I ever denied there are such people?

My point was that you said that liberal's views of conservatives was based on the media. I am saying no, many of us have known just such people that you referred to as "sob's".

You sound just like Donnie's boys.
Reporter: Donald, when are you going to release your tax returns like all other recent presidential candidates have?
Donnie: Hillary Clinton...

A question is asked. An answer to an unasked question is given.

Evasion.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Growing up in the 60-70's, seemed most everyone had at least one grandma stashed in their home.

I don't personally know anyone right now who has taken an aging parent into their home. I have known some in the past who have been the primary caregivers of a parent with Alzheimer's, a 24/7 job from hell.
They can't. They have to work to pay the bills and there is no one home to care for the elderly parent. It's not like the old days when women stayed home. At least not in the middle class families.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Have I ever denied there are such people?

My point was that you said that liberal's views of conservatives was based on the media. I am saying no, many of us have known just such people that you referred to as "sob's".

You sound just like Donnie's boys.
Reporter: Donald, when are you going to release your tax returns like all other recent presidential candidates have?
Donnie: Hillary Clinton...

A question is asked. An answer to an unasked question is given.

Evasion.
LOL, look who's diverting. Read below.. I must have missed your QUESTION

Quote:
Some of us have experienced conservatives as cold hearted sob's (as you put it, although I think that's going too far. It isn't just what we know from the media.

I'm done playing whichu now. Since you're life is so good under Obama and you want more of the good life, vote for Hillary. I'm sure she's telling you the TRUTH when she says she wants to help you (just like Obama did) <sarcasm>

psst, you wants to help you (wink, wink) until she gets your vote.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:

psst, you wants to help you (wink, wink) until she gets your vote.
Thank you for that wonderful insight.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:41 AM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Back then grandma was about 70 and able bodied, when they got sick and frail they usually died or went to the nursing home and then died. Now people can linger for years and years needing full time care.

Many middle aged now are "caring" for their adult kids and maybe grandkids, as they start to have health issues. There is no good place for this to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies