Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 10:45 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The relationship between man and dog goes back thousands of years. Protectors, hunting companions and just regular companionship. This is a two way street benefiting both species. The dog I had when I was in my twenties would never let anyone near me if I was sleeping, she'd "smile" at you. When I say no one I mean no one including people living in the same house, the dog you were playing with in afternoon has warned you and will bite if you get any closer. When some cow will do the same thing for me you might have a point.
Many ducks and geese were kept as sentries in many countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What sizes do dog filets come in, 1 ounce, 2 ounce and 3 ounce?

I need a decent size steak.
Depends on the dog. I am guessing a big Rottweiler might have some decent fillets. A toy poodle. Not so much.

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The relationship between man and dog goes back thousands of years. Protectors, hunting companions and just regular companionship. This is a two way street benefiting both species. The dog I had when I was in my twenties would never let anyone near me if I was sleeping, she'd "smile" at you. When I say no one I mean no one including people living in the same house, the dog you were playing with in afternoon has warned you and will bite if you get any closer. When some cow will do the same thing for me you might have a point.

That is a very good way of explaining it. Nothing is wrong with eating a dog, per se but it is not culturally accepted in most countries.
I think those little pigs are cute, and they seem to be pretty intelligent but I was raised on eating pork sausage, bacon and pork chops... so no chance of me having one as a pet.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:47 AM

6,746 posts, read 3,361,971 times
I hope you don't have a lot of dinner parties.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:49 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
This always bothers me. In many cultures, including the early American culture, dogs are food, not much different from cows or pigs.

So what's so sacred about dogs nowadays? What makes dogs so much more equal than cows, pigs, chicken, rates, mosquitoes and cockroaches? Are they all living things?

Isn't that animal discrimination by giving certain animal special treatment?

Please keep in mind that you don't or don't want to eat dogs doesn't make eating dogs wrong or any less moral than eating any other animals.
What's wrong with eating dogs? Nothing.

In Japan I ate cat.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:50 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Some use pigs today in urban areas.

It was a big thing a while back.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:51 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Personally speaking I don't really have a problem with people eating dogs in other countries, but if you have studied evolution and ancient history, dogs are quite unique. There is some evidence that the domestication of the dog is what enabled human beings to make their last great evolutionary leap. The dog took over much of the work that consumed our thoughts and energies, and we were able to focus on other things. It was, of course, also a source of protein. But do you really want to eat an animal whose evolution is so intertwined with yours? I don't. Perhaps no other animal was as responsible for who we are today than maybe the monkey.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:52 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Most animals are territorial, they are protecting their space which is coincidentally the space of the person who owns them.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:56 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatat View Post
that is disgusting. What next fetus?
More disgusting than eating cute and beautiful chicken?

Old 08-15-2016, 10:58 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Like certain Presidents who grew up in Indonesia:

"...I was introduced to dog meat (tough)..."

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...O/thedaical-20
Obama spent less than 4 years, about 20% of his youth, in Indonesia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies