Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 09:44 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,059,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Poor poor snowflakes. Internet trolling and cyberbullying is such a wussified thing to be worried about. I mean really, these people must be afraid of the dark too.
Tell this mother that? Or the parents of these 9 kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 09:55 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
Tell this mother that? Or the parents of these 9 kids?
I would in a heartbeat. Sticks and stones and all that. They obviously had mental issues beforehand if words made them kill themselves. The parents should have taught them that being online isn't important and to ignore stuff like that, close the internet browser and MAYBE, just MAYBE get them the help they need for their issues, but nope, just ignore it and blame someone else. Social media is a dysfunctional disease that rots the brain.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:00 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,182 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Poor poor snowflakes. Internet trolling and cyberbullying is such a wussified thing to be worried about. I mean really, these people must be afraid of the dark too.

As was made abundantly clear this is not mere trolling or name calling it is a far more sinister level of harrasement bordering on stalking and often involving death threats and rape threats. Indeed in many ways the most extreme trolls are the modern day equivalent of the perverrts who used to mane obscene phone calls, and which was also subject to investigation by the authorities and was never seen as freedom of expression.

Everyone should have a right to a life free from violence and the fear of it, and indeed a right to privacy something already enshrined in Human Rights Law and Data Protection Laws, and when such basic rights are impinged upon then apprioriate action needs to be taken.

As was pointed out in the Guardian Article -

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian

we don't give up on legislating wrong-doing because it's messy or personal. No one is arguing that people can't say hateful things or call people names; the emails I get calling me a "****" and a "feminazi" are immoral, but they're not (and shouldn't be) illegal. Threats and the invasion of privacy, though, are different – even in the most public of places: your right to be a "creep" doesn't trump everyone else's right to a life free from violence and the fear of it.

Free speech is a bad excuse for online creeps to threaten rape and murder - The Guardian
The Independent also had a good article regarding the jailing of hate preacher Anjem Choudary who helped indoctrinate young people with his vile Islamic Fundamentalist Doctrine and a man who mocked events like 9/11 and 7/7. I am a pleased Choudary is in jail, yes I am it's where he belongs, you have to draw a line somewhere or you risk the human rights of society at large in relation to terrorism. As the great parliamentarian Edmund Burke once said, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Independent

Jailing a person for words they have spoken ought to trouble anyone who believes in liberal democratic values. Yet to protect those very values it is sometimes necessary to be intolerant of intolerance. Many of those to whom Choudary preached his silver-tongued messages of hatred went to Syria to fight with Isis: in short, he persuaded impressionable young men to kill for a perverted vision of Islam. Ultimately, it feels impossible to ignore the conclusion that jail is the very best place for him.

Anjem Choudary's conviction shows that free speech is not without limits

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-18-2016 at 10:24 AM..

Old 08-18-2016, 10:01 AM

19,639 posts, read 12,231,401 times
“you have pretty eyes but your fat”
“awesome. but i’m not fat.”

I don't get it.

People used to say similar things to me - pretty but fat and I would say I'm not fat. I was a bit chubby big deal. I knew I wasn't obese or unhealthy so whatever. These kids now really have some problems dealing with words and opinions. They should not have public website profiles if they don't want to fight with the jerks out there.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:08 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,059,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
“you have pretty eyes but your fat”
“awesome. but i’m not fat.”

I don't get it.

People used to say similar things to me - pretty but fat and I would say I'm not fat. I was a bit chubby big deal. I knew I wasn't obese or unhealthy so whatever. These kids now really have some problems dealing with words and opinions. They should not have public website profiles if they don't want to fight with the jerks out there.
Good for you but not all kids know how to 'stand up' for themselves, anecdote does not equal data

and its not just online and its not a new 'snowflake' problem

Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people, resulting in about 4,400 deaths per year, according to the CDC. For every suicide among young people, there are at least 100 suicide attempts. Over 14 percent of high school students have considered suicide, and almost 7 percent have attempted it.

so yeh, all those kids have mental problems and are little snowflakes that should just close their browsers FFS

Old 08-18-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
Good for you but not all kids know how to 'stand up' for themselves, anecdote does not equal data

and its not just online and its not a new 'snowflake' problem

Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people, resulting in about 4,400 deaths per year, according to the CDC. For every suicide among young people, there are at least 100 suicide attempts. Over 14 percent of high school students have considered suicide, and almost 7 percent have attempted it.

so yeh, all those kids have mental problems and are little snowflakes that should just close their browsers FFS
That girl did stand up for herself by saying she is not fat. She had a mental/emotional problem to go and commit suicide. We need to recognize these issues in kids.

What is the solution if not helping kids deal with criticism? Kids picking on each other will always exist, we have anti-bullying campaigns, you don't want to stop them from putting themselves out all over the internet, so the only solution is to get them to deal with it in better way and using examples of people in the same situation who overcame it is not the worst thing. We use inspirational human stories all the time of people overcoming obstacles but it is taboo to do so with bullying?

Old 08-18-2016, 01:09 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,182 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That girl did stand up for herself by saying she is not fat. She had a mental/emotional problem to go and commit suicide. We need to recognize these issues in kids.

What is the solution if not helping kids deal with criticism? Kids picking on each other will always exist, we have anti-bullying campaigns, you don't want to stop them from putting themselves out all over the internet, so the only solution is to get them to deal with it in better way and using examples of people in the same situation who overcame it is not the worst thing. We use inspirational human stories all the time of people overcoming obstacles but it is taboo to do so with bullying?
I don't think this is just an issue of simple bullying or basic insults, a lot of it is more sinister than that in relation to continual harrasment and actual threats and harm. I can accept insults but insults become harrasment when someone creates hundreds of accounts and sends hundreds of disturbing messages every week threatening harm and fantasising about torture, death or rape, or they threaten other members of your family. This is when a line is crossed and when the authorities need to become involved, indeed if someone needs mental health they should get it, whether it is the perpertrator or victim, but to turn a blind eye to the more extreme behaviour os some trolls/stalkers is just not acceptable. No one should be living in fear because of these people who hide behind the anonymity of the internet.

Twitter rape threats: What the police do when victims report them | Metro News

Two guilty over abusive tweets to Caroline Criado-Perez - BBC News

Bomb threat tweet sent to classicist Mary Beard - BBC News

Twitter trolls who made vile threats to rape and kill TV historian Mary Beard and two female MPs | Daily Mail Online

Sue Perkins Receives Top Gear Death Threats

Jo Cox death: Call for violent threats towards female MPs to be taken more seriously | Home News | News | The Independent

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-18-2016 at 01:25 PM..

Old 08-18-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I don't think this is just an issue of simple bullying or basic insults, a lot of it is more sinister than that in relation to continual harrasment and actual threats and harm. I can accept insults but insults become harrasment when someone creates hundreds of accounts and sends hundreds of disturbing messages every week threatening harm and fantasising about torture, death or rape, or they threaten other members of your family. This is when a line is crossed and when the authorities need to become involved, indeed if someone needs mental health they should get it, whether it is the perpertrator or victim, but to turn a blind eye to the more extreme behaviour os some trolls/stalkers is just not acceptable. No one should be living in fear because of these people who hide behind the anonymity of the internet.

Twitter rape threats: What the police do when victims report them | Metro News

Two guilty over abusive tweets to Caroline Criado-Perez - BBC News

Bomb threat tweet sent to classicist Mary Beard - BBC News

Twitter trolls who made vile threats to rape and kill TV historian Mary Beard and two female MPs | Daily Mail Online

Sue Perkins Receives Top Gear Death Threats

Jo Cox death: Call for violent threats towards female MPs to be taken more seriously | Home News | News | The Independent
Of course, these threats of bodily harm are illegal and need to be dealt with harshly. Comments about being fat, ugly or sl*tty do not rise to that level yet are considered dangerous bullying and cause kids to kill themselves. THAT is not normal and never has been.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:16 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
thats fine, they can st up where ever they choose, except the US, our first amendment protects us here, for now.
Yes, for now. But for our own safety, we better prosecute anyone who disagrees with climate change. Then the gates will open and that will be the end of the what amendment.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:33 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Good thing I never troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies