Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 10:41 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times

Advertisements

Joe Biden gets pushed around by his wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 10:41 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" Bare in mind, he said John McCain wasn't a war hero because he got captured. Anyone who knows McCain's story would NEVER say that."

There you go AGAIN, making ASSUMPTIONS based ONLY on your own OPINIONS.

I am constantly amazed how you think you KNOW what others think.

"Anyone who knows McCain's story would NEVER say that."

I did 2 tours in Viet Nam and I AGREE that just because you are captured does NOT AUTOMATICALLY make you a HERO.

Sorry to burst your self righteous bubble!
huh...

Why is it that you can make assumptions about what I think, but I'm apparently not allowed to assume anything. I guess I didn't realize how important you are. My sincere mistake, my lord.

For what it's worth, McCain isn't a hero because he got captured (I know, that's what you said I think and you'll just have to deal with the fact that you're wrong). He's a hero because when given the opportunity to be released, he refused unless the others got to leave as well. That's bravery. That deserves hero status. If you disagree because you, I assume, think you're better than him, so be it. You couldn't enough pay me to care. However, if Donald wants to play the "he's not a hero because he's weak and got captured card," well, he deserves any criticism he gets because he's in a position where he could potentially matter quite a lot. And you're not, so regardless of what you think about McCain, I assure you, know one cares. Sorry to burst your bubble (I'm not sorry).

Old 08-18-2016, 10:49 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Here is my .02

John McCain chose not to leave, well, That's a form of pure heroism, the way Bob Dylan defined it: the hero as someone who understands the "degree of responsibility that comes with his freedom."

Khan's son is a hero, no doubt about it. But khan's words "What have you sacrificed? You sacrificed nothing and no one" makes me go.. huh?

Biden's son served.. but.. so what?

McCain's heroism. Khan's son's heroism, Biden's son's military record DO NOT make any of them right. It does not give them license to claim to speak for every veteran or every military family. It does not entitle them to power or privilege. They are entitled to their opinion, that is about it.

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Leaving Irag can be justified in some way, right or wrong.

Going back to retake cities because we left them in the first place becomes wrong. The second action could be necessary and justified but it then highlights that the first action was stupidity and now that stupidity costs more American soldier's lives.

Obama and Hillary have made the world a very dangerous place. Who can name any region of the world that is better because of the policies they dreamt of and then implemented without any thought past their own short term legacies and political ambition?

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
What's more unwise is not to use common sense and one's mind to imply that blame is spread equally among anyone who can possibly be blamed. In the scheme of things, Trump is virtually blameless.
Well, to an extent. As I said, ISIS will use sound bytes of his as recruitment. Currently, he's just a guy running for president. The weight his word have are minimal. If he is president, suddenly, his words aren't just his words. They're America's word.

Make no mistake, ISIS would love a Trump presidency. They'll certainly settle for Clinton, but Trump is ideal for them. It's the way he speaks. Words have a lot of power, espeically if they come from a president.

And I assume this is what Biden means. There was no link to back any of it up, so without context, who knows. Maybe he means right now Trump is dangerous, which is true to an extent but he's hardly the biggest issue. But as president, I mean... do you genuinely think ISIS won't use what he says as a recruitment tool? They already are. How much more effective do you think their crazy evangelism will be if he's president? How much convincing will it take to get a Muslim to agree to blowing himself up in the state when Trump says the things he says?

Old 08-18-2016, 10:52 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
In all honestly, though the United States is moving towards energy independence, it does not follow that Washington will cease to be interested in global energy markets and the global and regional security issues attached to them. Energy independence will not eliminate threats to America’s economic and national security emanating from the Middle East, and a U.S. withdrawal could prompt rivals to increase their presence in the region. For these reasons, energy independence will not significantly alter U.S. policy toward the region.

Yes, it is nice to say "bring the troops home", but it doesn't seem like America can really escape middle east anytime soon.
Things are far messier now than when we invaded. It's not about energy at that. It's about keeping the dollar as the world currency and that is also a losing battle.

Global central banks dump U.S. debt at record pace - Aug. 16, 2016

(Note, I said this was going to happen months ago)

Old 08-18-2016, 10:53 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Things are far messier now than when we invaded. It's not about energy at that. It's about keeping the dollar as the world currency and that is also a losing battle.

Global central banks dump U.S. debt at record pace - Aug. 16, 2016

(Note, I said this was going to happen months ago)
I don't disagree with that. But there are many different theories why America cannot escape middle east completely. I wouldn't say currency is the only reason.

bolded, yeah, you are the expert. I forgot.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:37 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Talking Don't judge a book by its cover, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"It wasn't a "permission to invade" like so many RWNJs still like to pretend it was.

So what does, "The resolution authorized President Bush to use the Armed Forces of the United States as he determines to be necessary and appropriate" MEAN WHEN THEY VOTED FOR THE AUTHORIZATION BILL?

"The Iraq Resolution (formally the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Resolution

The title ALONE give him the authority.

No it didn't.

Read the Iraq Resolution sometime.

The part about exhausting all other options before resorting to military force. That part. The part Dubya ignored and went ahead and invaded anyway, even though the UN inspectors said there were no WMDs and no evidence for an active nuclear program.

Not the title.

The resolution. The part that's operative.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:14 PM

59,058 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Well, I'm not claiming to know how to run a business. How that's relevant to what we're talking about is beyond me, but I gather you're a contrarian, so who cares.

To illustrate my point, Donald, when asked a question, has been caught basically just making something up to justify his answer. The most recent and obvious example I can think of his is comments on the Russia/Ukraine business, where he gave an analysis that was simply incorrect from an objective point of view. It's one thing to not just know, but to pretend he does is a sign of his character. And it's not good.
"Well, I'm not claiming to know how to run a business."

EXACTLY!

BECAUSE you DON'T know means you can't comprehend how running a business is a LOT like being a politician and having political experience.

Politician get bills passed by "NEGOTIATING and "MAKING DEALS" with other politicians.

THAT is what trump is a master at.

You don't build a $10 billion empire by NOT being excellent at those 2.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:23 PM

59,058 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
huh...

Why is it that you can make assumptions about what I think, but I'm apparently not allowed to assume anything. I guess I didn't realize how important you are. My sincere mistake, my lord.

For what it's worth, McCain isn't a hero because he got captured (I know, that's what you said I think and you'll just have to deal with the fact that you're wrong). He's a hero because when given the opportunity to be released, he refused unless the others got to leave as well. That's bravery. That deserves hero status. If you disagree because you, I assume, think you're better than him, so be it. You couldn't enough pay me to care. However, if Donald wants to play the "he's not a hero because he's weak and got captured card," well, he deserves any criticism he gets because he's in a position where he could potentially matter quite a lot. And you're not, so regardless of what you think about McCain, I assure you, know one cares. Sorry to burst your bubble (I'm not sorry).
I am NOT assuming anything you think.

I read your exact word:

"Anyone who knows McCain's story would NEVER say that."

You made this claim.I proved you are wrong."(I know, that's what you said I think and you'll just have to deal with the fact that you're wrong"

No, you are wrong.You see we are BOTH entitled to our own opinion. I did NOT say you were wrong, as I am NOT wrong.

I said I DISAGREE with your opinion which you state as fact when it is NOT.

"He's a hero because when given the opportunity to be released, he refused unless the others got to leave as well."

A good read if you are interested from someone who was POW BEFORE and during McCains time.

http://www.alternet.org/story/95825/...the_red_button

A different take on your claim.

"3) John was offered, and refused, "early release." Many of us were given this offer. It meant speaking out against your country and lying about your treatment to the press. You had to "admit" that the U.S. was criminal and that our treatment was "lenient and humane." So I, like numerous others, refused the offer. This was obviously something none of us could accept. Besides, we were bound by our service regulations, Geneva Conventions and loyalties to refuse early release until all the POW's were released, with the sick and wounded going first.

" If you disagree because you, I assume, think you're better than him".

You shouldn't assume ANYTHING (something you do a lot of) The ONLY one here who thinks they are better then others, is YOU.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 08-18-2016 at 05:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies