Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 01:17 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,947,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Well, my point was based on an analysis of the kind of person Donald Trump is. Your was... not really an analysis of anything. Someone makes a point, that was stupid by the way, that Trump's son hasn't served and you point out that this isn't that important and talk about humility. Which the humility part is interesting given that it's a defense of Trump who has none, I probably wouldn't have responded had it stopped there. But as I said, 5 posts later you make a list with the same content you described as being immature. I responded accordingly. If you want to talk immature, look no further than the Republican presidential nominee.

I'll ask you two questions, one very much on topic, and the other just for fun. Let's start with the fun one. Do you think Mr. Trump is a humble man. And second, what makes you think his military "strategy" of teaming up with Putin (a man who loves his country but dislikes democracy and freedom of press; he's basically Trump and Clinton rolled into one package) would yield results that are any better than just carrying on with what we've been doing?

For the last question, it might help to look to my post where I explain how the actions of the west are a recruiting tool for groups like ISIS and how the ideology that ISIS has is one that is widespread and not really tied to a single source, unlike something like fascism which was attached to a select few countries.
Has Hillary's daughter served?

Only sons must serve?

My example was to highlight the futility of yours. You couldn't get that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 01:41 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,529,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Mine wasn't an opinion.

In your opinion.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:44 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,529,442 times
Wink My oh my!

It seems the conservos are certainly touchy about the chickenhawk status of their politicos.

I report. You decide.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:50 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
This is after Trump said in effect that Obama founded ISIS.

Lets be clear, US Soldiers are threatened because they have been sent back to Iraq to retake cities their fellow soldiers died to take but after which Obama made us retreat only to die another day.
Obama and Hillary's actions from a premature pull out of Iraq and back in an Arab Spring was the problem.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:53 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Has Hillary's daughter served?

Only sons must serve?

My example was to highlight the futility of yours. You couldn't get that?
The futility of my point? My point, if you read it, was that the entire dialogue was childish and the man you were defending (Trump) is the king, if not God (he'd go with God) of childish arguments. Even if you think that point is futile, your point did absolutely nothing to even address that. I'd say it more solidified it.

I could give a crap who's served and who's kids have served. If someone wants to serve, good for them. If not, also good for them. It should be choice. Period. You started out saying that, but went right ahead and fought stupid with stupid. I called you out on it. Don't conflate my disagreement with you as agreement with who you were opposing. The world isn't a perfect dichotomy, no matter how hard you try to make it one.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:02 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The rebels are Isis. I thought we were fighting Isis?
That is a very ignorant statement.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:03 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,947,411 times
If I fought stupid with stupid then since you began with the list of who's sons served and who's did not at least you got the sequence right.

As for the rest of the point you attempted to make, it got lost in the personal slant you are deftly but also obviously trying to make the forefront of your posts.

Therefore, play with others who will fall into that trap, I'm not playing that game.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:05 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Many of the rebels became ISIS.

There's a big problem either way. Hillary would have us doing more of the same, which we know where that leads. Trump would have us team up with Russia and Assad, which would have similar results. ISIS is resilient. No matter how much you think under president Trump we'd "bomb the **** out of [ISIS]" and even if that's true, it would do very little.

This is a new type of warfare. We're not so much fighting a country, we're fighting an ideology. One that has very little things of substance unifying it. It's not like a country where all out warfare depletes man power and infrastructure, which forces the hand of a country to admit defeat to avoid further economic hardship down the road. That doesn't work. It's why Nazism existed after WWII but Nazi Germany didn't. The idea didn't died by the main thing backing it did. It moved on to manifest itself in a bunch of men with shaved heads complaining to each other in secret.

Radical Islam is very different. It has no country. ISIS is attempting to create one, but I feel that even if this were totally destroyed, the threat of radical Islam wouldn't go away. At all. What fuels radical Islam is anti-western sentiment and what creates this is the west doing things that can be twisted into anti-Muslim or Arab or something. Bin Laden said he did what he did to tell the West to stay out of the Middle East (among other things). This view is hardly extreme. If China had military bases all over the US, would we feel any different than Bin Laden? We might not go flying planes into skyscrapers, but we'd certainly not just say "Well, it's ok because they're better than us."

To simplify my whole point: Trump's plan is not going to create a different outcome than Obama's or Hillary's. It looks different, which is the appeal, but it grossly misunderstands the problem.
I am talking about the rebels who fight with US special forces against ISIS and Assad. With Trump, we would switch sides and start fighting against them. If that makes sense to you, good for you. I think the military might have a problem with having to kill people who were your friends only few days earlier. As for 'more of the same', it may not me such bad thing since it is actually working without making the whole area the enemy of US. With Trump, our old allies would become our new enemies, maybe even the new terrorist organization.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:09 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
In your opinion.
The Obama administration is responsible for them being there. Fact.

Biden is a part of that administration. Fact.

Trump has nothing to do with then being there. Fact.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:12 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That is a very ignorant statement.
Did you answer the question? No. It's how I can tell I am right. Russia is fighting Isis. We are arming them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies