Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 07:42 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

Advertisements

Good to see someone has the right idea, just went about it in the totally wrong way.

It wasn't politically correct enough for the limp wristed liberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 08:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
In many places, the jails are at capacity and municipal/ county/ state budgets are strained. This likely puts pressure on judges to use their judgment as to when to release people charged with violent crimes on bail, pending trial.

This can happen anywhere.

If this family had been armed and protected themselves against their whacked out neighbor, it's likely many would perceive it as an act of Islamic terrorism.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:05 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Good to see someone has the right idea, just went about it in the totally wrong way.

It wasn't politically correct enough for the limp wristed liberals.

Are you being provacative again and advocating on behalf of the whack job?

Old 08-17-2016, 08:08 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Aside from the obvious hate crime, this story also highlights the failure of the Tulsa police department to protect one of it's citizens. And unfortunately, you have to question if this person had lived in another part of the country, would he be alive today? I do not think it's a coincidence that this took place in a southern conservative Bible Belt city of Tulsa, Oklahoma. This reminds me of African Americans who were victims of hate crimes in the 1960's in the south while the police turned a blind eye. (see the film Mississippi Burning) It is inconceivable that something like this could occur in 2016. The victim was not Muslim. He was Christian. He was of Lebanese descent. His neighbor stereotyped him and ran over the victim's mother in his car.

This also beckons the question, is the true motivation behind these hate crimes due to xenophobia more than religion itself? Despite being a Christian, that didn't seem to matter to the murderer. I question how many more people probably share this person's sentiment and hate someone simply because they are an arab or brown skilled regardless if the person is a Christian and/or an American citizen

"What makes the Jabara case stand out is authorities had several opportunities to intervene, but appeared to have bungled, the family believes. For years, the Jabara family says, their Tulsa neighbor terrorized them.He called them names -- "dirty Arabs," "filthy Lebanese," they said. He hurled racial epithets at those who came to work on their lawns, they alleged. He ran Haifa Jabara over with his car and went to court for it. And it all came to a head last week when the man, Stanley Vernon Majors, walked up to the front steps of the family home and shot and killed Khalid Jabara, police said."

Tulsa man killed by neighbor who called him 'dirty Arab' - CNN.com

From the story, "the Jabara family says..."

Old 08-17-2016, 08:09 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Are there that many people that associate Arab=Muslim?

Does anyone read history anymore?

That is not always the case that Arab=Muslim,but since OK does not really spend that much on education,this is the result.
Given that post 9/11 as many Sikh's as Arabs have been targeted simply because their headdress and skin color are apparently similar enough to the people who hate Arabs, I would guess that they aren't really bothering to make that distinction.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:11 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
This is a sickening situation. Such a horrible tragedy for this family.

This is why all the posts even on this forum and the stupid meanderings of Trump and his followers is one of the only things I am frightened of (stupid people in large groups).

When you have all this vitriol and too many people acting like it is okay to demonize specific groups of people, you will have mentally ill people like this man and the many others go out and do horrible things because of being egged on by hate speech.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
So..how did this nut job have a gun?
I thought the same thing. Wonder was it a legally purchased weapon on one he got off the street.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:23 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Oh h3ll....just read the CNN article that blamed anti-muslim stuff on the internet and rhetoric as the problem.

WELL WHAT THE FUDGE DO YOU THINK BOMBARDS MUSLIMS 24-7?

Terrible for the family, I wish it was the other guy that got shot but the irony that they'd complain about "anti-muslim rhetoric"? Sweet baby J....they have religious leaders publically call for the killing of people!

Go to Al-jazeera...I just did.

Hmmm....oh look front page...an article about Syria...where Russia is the bad-guy...no mention of Syrian forces.
Oh, and an anti-Israeli article. (shocker)
Oooooh another anti-Israeli article about them stealing babies.
An anti-american article about poverty.

And this is Al-Jazeera english which is liberal in comparison to most Muslim countries news organizations.

Nice.
I read this comment, "A certain religion happens to teach that killing others for such reasons is somehow Godly and divine." Then this one I quote above, and I am simply baffled. Obviously the problem is religious differences and those who can't well understand, tolerate or accommodate the other. Always it is the other that is killing us, imposing on our way of life, our belief system, even teaching "killing others for such reasons..."

Clearly, anyone who holds or blames any religion for acts of terrorism and/or the murdering of others, harassment, even insulting people of different faith, rather than blaming the twisted minds and souls of those who commit such acts is part of the problem. Here, for example, we have someone killed essentially because they are considered one of the evil "others," and what does the comment above focus upon, just more of the same sort of them vs us sentiment. The never-ending cycle of religious ignorance and intolerance...

Old 08-17-2016, 08:28 AM

14,482 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I read this comment, "A certain religion happens to teach that killing others for such reasons is somehow Godly and divine." Then this one I quote above, and I am simply baffled. Obviously the problem is religious differences and those who can't well understand, tolerate or accommodate the other. Always it is the other that is killing us, imposing on our way of life, our belief system, even teaching "killing others for such reasons..."

Clearly, anyone who holds or blames any religion for acts of terrorism and/or the murdering of others, harassment, even insulting people of different faith, rather than blaming the twisted minds and souls of those who commit such acts is part of the problem. Here, for example, we have someone killed essentially because they are considered one of the evil "others," and what does the comment above focus upon, just more of the same sort of them vs us sentiment. The never-ending cycle of religious ignorance and intolerance...
What was the religion of the black man that he called a n----r?

Old 08-17-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

FYI, this family whose son was murdered were Christians, not Muslims.

They were targeted due to being "Arabs" and all Arabs being associated as "evil" online and in media. I do believe that those "twisted souls" are twisted into further insanity by the barrage of xenophobia readily shown online and on certain media programs and that should be a concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies