Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 02:47 PM

50,750 posts, read 24,253,304 times

Advertisements

OP, your posts have gone off the deep end lately.

If they "rake in" big bucks -- and most don't -- then they pay income tax.

And, BTW, here's what the "gold medals" are made of: http://www.compoundchem.com/2016/08/15/olympic-medals/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 02:53 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
They are champions representing us. They are not risking dying for our country, so no lifetime medical, but they should pass a no taxation law for medals.
Why not? They could sell the medals for money, no? Just like people with stock grants can sell them on the date they are granted.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:55 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,704,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
This is ridiculous. Why shouldn't they pay their fair share to the society? We are here scraping pennies and those Olympic medalists rake up millions from sponsors, not counting tens of thousands reward money and loopholes to mark training cost as tax deduction.

When do normal people like you and me get a tax break?

We should impose a windfall tax on each medalist just like we have done for companies such as Exxon Mobil when they rake in record profit. For real, what's the difference there? If other individuals and companies are not allowed to make legal profit, neither should Olympic medalists.
don't be jealous.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:55 PM

39,193 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
This is ridiculous. Why shouldn't they pay their fair share to the society? We are here scraping pennies and those Olympic medalists rake up millions from sponsors, not counting tens of thousands reward money and loopholes to mark training cost as tax deduction.

When do normal people like you and me get a tax break?

We should impose a windfall tax on each medalist just like we have done for companies such as Exxon Mobil when they rake in record profit. For real, what's the difference there? If other individuals and companies are not allowed to make legal profit, neither should Olympic medalists.
If they sell the stuff on ebay and made $10,000 yes, they will pay tax for it.

Life is pretty fair when it comes to tax.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
OP, your posts have gone off the deep end lately.

If they "rake in" big bucks -- and most don't -- then they pay income tax.

And, BTW, here's what the "gold medals" are made of: Compound Interest - The Composition of the Rio Olympics Medals
But those society lottery winners must pay their fair share.

Not my words, Obama's.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
don't be jealous.
Maybe my sarcasm didn't come out right.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
But those society lottery winners must pay their fair share.

Not my words, Obama's.
If you receive metals as a gift, then the basis is calculated using the market value of the metals on the date they were originally purchased by the person gifting them to you. If the market value is less than what the person gifting the metals paid, then the basis is calculated based on fair market value at the time the gift of metals is given.

The bottom line is this: If you sell precious metals for more than what you paid for them, chances are pretty good that a tax liability will exist.

Lottery winnings are taxed like income.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
If they sell the stuff on ebay and made $10,000 yes, they will pay tax for it.

Life is pretty fair when it comes to tax.
Right, but I had to pay a lot of tax based on my stock's market value the day I was granted. Same thing should apply to medals.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
If you receive metals as a gift, then the basis is calculated using the market value of the metals on the date they were originally purchased by the person gifting them to you. If the market value is less than what the person gifting the metals paid, then the basis is calculated based on fair market value at the time the gift of metals is given.

The bottom line is this: If you sell precious metals for more than what you paid for them, chances are pretty good that a tax liability will exist.

Lottery winnings are taxed like income.
By "society lottery winner", Obama was referring to anybody makes more than $250,000 by working hard, not the actual lottery winners.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Right, but I had to pay a lot of tax based on my stock's market value the day I was granted. Same thing should apply to medals.
Did you make a profit selling / trading your stock? If so, yes, you need to pay tax.

If you sell your Olympic medal and make $5,000, then yes, you need to pay tax.

You know what is unfair? inheritance tax. My grandpa left us after tax money, we shouldn't pay tax on that. That is double taxation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies