Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 09:35 PM

18,138 posts, read 15,550,789 times

Advertisements

Well, this is a method Ive heard anti hunters say that hunter,s should have to use. Primitive stuff that" puts the animal on even ground". " Be a man. Hunt like our ancestors did". Oh, OK. Like driving whole herds off of cliffs? Or setting fires to drive a whole herd into an ambush? Hey, hunt like our ancestors, right?

Last edited by NVplumber; 08-17-2016 at 10:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 09:45 PM

39,809 posts, read 26,359,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Well, this is a method Ive heard anti hunters say that hunter,s should have to use. Primitive stuff that" puts the animal on even ground". " Be a man. Hunt like our ancestors did". Oh, OK. Like driving whole bears off of cliffs? Or setting fires to drive a whole herd into an ambush? Hey, hunt like our ancestors, right?
IKR? If this post was about an Indian (er-"Native American") hunter, he'd be held up as an example of how all the fat ol' palefaces should hunt. None of that rifle or bow stuff.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:49 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,403,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
If you actually were a hunter, particularly of bears, you'd actually know that hunting over bait is both legal in many states, and a preferred way to hunt. It offers the best chance to check out the particular animal at the bait, and to pass a shot if say it's a female, particularly with cubs around. And it's still far from easy-in spite of bait, bears have a great sense of smell and respectable hearing. Getting within 15 yards to make a clean shot is an accomplishment, rather with a spear or a bow. Oh and for all the numnuts complaining about it being "staged" because it was filmed, hunting trips are filmed all the time. It's very common to hunt with 2 people, especially in Canada where, in many places, a guide is required by law.

Further ignorance in these posts-of course he didn't go up to the bear immediately after the "shot". Only an idiot (or rookie hunter) makes that mistake. You ALWAYS want to let an animal lay down and bleed out, rather than pushing them. An animal that is bleeding but not pursued will usually stay in place and die peacefully. If he's pushed, adrenaline kicks in and they make that extra effort, often getting away from the hunter and dying somewhere he is difficult to follow. After a solid shot there will be a good blood trail to follow, usually with a dead animal at the end of it. Push him and that blood trail goes away. And there is no reason to suspect that he didn't follow and collect that animal. Any reason to believe that he did?

The ignorance of the basics of hunting, yet the need to comment about it...shouldn't be a surprise on this forum I guess.

Oh-the comment about "running game to death from a helicopter" reinforces my point. You have no clue. In no state is that legal. The only people that are even allowed to shoot game animals from a chopper (not run them to death) are state workers or contractors, PAID by the state, to manage predator populations in certain areas. Specifically where the predator population is out of control and destroying the entire ecosystem by killing entire populations of game animals. In my state wolves have largely destroyed our elk herds, and legal hunting (and trapping) don't make a dent in the population. They breed like rabbits, and kill until all the prey is gone. Government shooters from helicopters are used in the Lolo area to try to reduce the numbers, but it's too late and a lost cause.

I've never hunted over bait (or taken a bear for that matter). But I have been lucky enough to take a couple bull elk with a bow. Congrats to that hunter. He took challange to the next level by using a sharp stick THAT HE THREW. Significantly more challenging that bow hunting.
I actually was a hunter for years starting in the early fifties and throughout the sixties. You missed the part where I referred to the past? I am well aware of what constitutes hunting in todays world and would want no part of that travesty..Baiting bears, like salting for deer and elk is NOT hunting and only pretenders would think it is.

Whether legal or not; I've witnessed hunting being done not only from helicopters but from low flying 'flaps down' Cessnas. One particular time was while fly-in fishing near Colville Lake in the Northwest Territories and our native guide/pilot reported the tail number of the Cessna float plane. Would you care to guess what country those hunters were from?

Bringing money to hunting has nothing whatsoever to do with improving the integrity of the sport and neither does waiting by a trash pile until a foraging bear wanders damn near into your lap while focussed on a site he's obviously very familiar with. If this clown were in Churchill Falls he'd probably have speared a Polar Bear from someones back porch and thought he was a hero while most folks in that town think nothing of playing hide and seek with them, leave the doors of their cars unlocked so people suddenly accosted by a bear have someplace handy to escape to.

Hunting has suffered immeasurably from people who think simply killing game any way you can is akin to hunting.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:56 PM

31,909 posts, read 14,904,885 times
Humans have no natural predators. We are the top of the food chain. We just take what we want. I wonder what would happen if we were at the bottom. Not a pretty sight, I'm sure.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:03 PM

3,659 posts, read 4,796,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
There is a strong possibility that this guy will be facing criminal charges if they can determine the bear suffered needlessly. If I understand correctly, he didn't hang around to see if it was dead, he left and came back the next morning.
The last thing you want to do when bowhunting (and I'd pretty much assume with a spear as well) is to shoot the animal and then go look for it right away. Give the animal time to drop down and die, then go get it later. Other then the possibility of losing the animal by going right after it and causing it to run further into the thickest section of woods and losing the blood trail, a bear would even add the extra elements of teeth and claws if you got to him while still alive. Wait it out and go later.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:03 PM

25,781 posts, read 16,411,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Great throw. This is human nature at work. The thing was milling around the garbage. It's no different than killing a rat in a dumpster.
Yeah, but you know...Gentle Ben and Grizzly Adams.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:08 PM

18,138 posts, read 15,550,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
IKR? If this post was about an Indian (er-"Native American") hunter, he'd be held up as an example of how all the fat ol' palefaces should hunt. None of that rifle or bow stuff.

Well, yea. That's what anti hunters like to bring up. That we should have to hunt the ancient way. Lol, using ancient methods, ancient man would still wipe out whole, massive herds of big game. Wasn't anything fair, or brave about it. No braver than they had to be anyway. They'd just start a stampede, usually with fire, and run the animals off a precipice. What a way to stock up on groceries.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:16 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,426,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Great throw. This is human nature at work. The thing was milling around the garbage. It's no different than killing a rat in a dumpster.

That isn't "garbage" per see. That is a bait barrel, used just for bear hunting, like a corn feeder is for deer hunting.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:20 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,206,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Humans have no natural predators. We are the top of the food chain. We just take what we want. I wonder what would happen if we were at the bottom. Not a pretty sight, I'm sure.

Natalie

If you aren't already then you need to be watching "THE ZOO", in this series that is exactly what happens, the animals starting all working together to stop & kill man. Interesting show.

By natures scale MAN is not a APEX predator, out of a scale of 1 - 5 with 5 being the highest, MAN is a 2.2; what makes MAN; a APEX predator, are two things HIS Intellect & our Technology.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:26 PM

31,909 posts, read 14,904,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
Natalie

If you aren't already then you need to be watching "THE ZOO", in this series that is exactly what happens, the animals starting all working together to stop & kill man. Interesting show.

By natures scale MAN is not a APEX predator, out of a scale of 1 - 5 with 5 being the highest, MAN is a 2.2; what makes MAN; a APEX predator, are two things HIS Intellect & our Technology.
No not watching it but the commercials for it look awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies