Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 10:42 AM

27,134 posts, read 15,310,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1033 View Post
Do people still believe in the war on coal? Are people truly that ignorant that they can't be bothered to verify something? Are people that ignorant that NAFTA was a conservative ideal...

I think it's just the complete lack of honesty coming from the Trump's campaign that makes the never trumpers turn away from Trump. It's almost as if Trump expects his followers to never question anything.

Unlike Dems others we'll look at past ideas and reject them if deemed to be the right thing to do.

Dems on the other hand will never admit failure and just throw more money at a bad idea.

Trump will be better than Clinton at moving us towards the wiser action of the two scenarios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 10:45 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
I am not voting for Hillary, not in a billion years

I like Mr. Trump, just don't know if I can trust him. Sometimes, I think he is just trolling.

So I am kind of undecided. Trump vs Johnson for me.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:18 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am not voting for Hillary, not in a billion years

I like Mr. Trump, just don't know if I can trust him. Sometimes, I think he is just trolling.

So I am kind of undecided. Trump vs Johnson for me.
Methinks you and I are going to be real interested in the debates, if Johnson gets in. But I just don't see how he can get anywhere without (A) appearing in the debate and doing well, and (B) getting a push from the big-name politicians who have not stepped up and endorsed anyone yet.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:22 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Methinks you and I are going to be real interested in the debates, if Johnson gets in. But I just don't see how he can get anywhere without (A) appearing in the debate and doing well, and (B) getting a push from the big-name politicians who have not stepped up and endorsed anyone yet.
Stein and Johnson won their parties' nominations in 2012, but that November neither broke the 1 percent threshold. This year, Stein has polled as high as 7 percent. Johnson's ventures into double digits make him, especially, more than a fringe player. He could become the escape-hatch choice for a lot of people Nov. 8 — if he's included in the autumn presidential debates. The first is scheduled for Sept. 26. The decision on who is included rests with the private, nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates. The group says eligible candidates must appear on enough state ballots to have a mathematical shot at winning the Electoral College vote.

I am not really excited about Johnson, he is not a good debater in my humble opinion. I have to wait and see. Waiting for what? I have no ideas.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:18 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Funny, I grew up in WV and the mining industry was falling apart when i lived there. It was also declining long before I was even born.

It's not "liberal policies" or a "war on coal" that killed jobs in WV. It's decades of reckless exploitation of our natural resources and the steady erosion of organized labor. Pro-coal company right wingers have ruled that state for decades, admittedly often with a D next to their name. Now the consequences of letting big business pillage the state and exploit workers are coming back to bite them.

The jobs are gone, thanks to automation, increased mining elsewhere, lack of easily accessible coal, etc. The environment is trashed. The infrastructure is crumbling and in many areas literally falling off the hillside. Former workers are sick or dead because reasonable safety measures weren't taken.

You can thank a total disregard for the environment and workers, along with a stubborn refusal to make any real attempt to diversify the economy, for the mess WV is facing. All those things were brought to us by right wingers.

Someone like Trump can come in and promise that things are magically going to get better and jobs will come back, but that's simply not true. It's a lie Republicans in depressed areas trot out every election. Trump can end the "War on Coal" (whatever that is) and WV miners will still be out of work because the economics of providing stable long term mining employment in the area still won't make sense.
The reason it's less economical to mine coal right now is because of the power plant rules, in addition to the regulations directly applied to coal mining itself. They also want to make it harder to export coal to other countries that want to buy American coal including China and India.

The Democrats are also against natural gas fracking too. I don't feel that the environment in WV is "destroyed". Coal companies are also expected to restore the surface mining areas and many have done so. A destroyed environment would be New Jersey or Los Angeles.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:34 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
I dunno if I count, because I'm certainly not a Hillary supporter. However, I am willing to at least consider the possibility of voting for her, because as terrible a human being she is - and as terrible a candidate as she is - I don't think there's anything she can do that would be even remotely as bad for the country as the disasters we would certainly suffer at the hands of that horrifying, ignorant, sociopathic orange buffoon. Electing Trump would be absolutely, without question, the low point of American history, and there is nothing more important than keeping him as far away from the Oval Office as possible.
^^This. I sincerely believe Trump will get us into WWIII. Anything is better than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies