Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 03:00 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,829,396 times

Advertisements

The first big step we must take is to end the drug war.

In some jurisdictions there are bad apples. In others the whole system is corrupt. We need less laws.

The fact is cops are not much different than the rest of us. Which ain't always a good thing.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:01 PM

52,447 posts, read 34,154,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Are you so damn politically partisan that you think I'd agree with illegally raping a man just because you disagree with it?

Seriously, lay off the politics for a few days.
have you had too much coffee or something? I wasn't thinking or implying any such thing.

sheesh!

Old 09-26-2016, 03:10 PM

20,622 posts, read 19,271,044 times
Quote:
Irrelevant. You wouldn't be so insouciant had this been you.
What do you want me to do, whine like a little girl like you do at every tragedy? Its easy to find an anecdote for everything.
Quote:
And the idea that most bad cops set up shop in high crime areas is highly fallacious. Lordsburg sure as hell isn't a high crime area.
Your evidence for this is what?

Quote:
Not only that, but an investigation found out that cops across rural Texas were doing the same thing, and even planting dope on unsuspecting motorists.

Texas Police Shakedown Lawsuit Settled | Huffington Post
Oh look, another anecdote. I have witnessed police brutality. I offered to be a witness. However the victim did two things. One is he was verbally defiant. The other is he was not too bright and not interested in contesting it. Following this incident a friend of the PD came to tell us we could not have seen what we saw.

I know how it works. I wasn't born yesterday. The problem is there is little to do against the police when crime is even more of a threat.

Factors such as temptation, contact with law breakers and more cynicism is cited. Police will have a much harder time shaking down legitimate business than they will vice and drugs.

http://www.popcenter.org/problems/st...wburn_1999.pdf

‘Although New York police have used their official powers to protect or commit
every crime from burglary to election fraud and murder, the main source of
police corruption there has always been the purveyors of illegal pleasures Prostitution, alcohol, gambling, and, in recent years, narcotics.” (1978: xxv

Sherman’s observation pretty much holds true for police forces everywhere. Officers
working in the areas cited above stand on what Manning and Redlinger (1977:354)
call ‘the invitational edge of corruption’ where the temptations are particularly
acute. Goldstein (1975) refers to ‘unenforceable laws’: activities which are
prohibited by legislatures around the world, but which large numbers of people
continue to engage in.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:13 PM

13,167 posts, read 21,744,041 times
He sued and received $925,000, with no admission of wrongdoing by the cops. Border Task Force gives innocent man anal cavity search after failing to use turn signal - Police State USA

Interestingly the same police force did the same thing to another guy around the same time and he got $1.3M.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:09 PM

16,364 posts, read 8,451,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I know these stories are a little dated, but the lessons and publicity are still needed. Lawyers will tell you 100% of the time. NEVER consent to a search and NEVER tell LE anything. NOTHING you tell them can be used for your benefit and EVERYTHING you tell them might be used to put you through hell even though you are innocent.

Our LE Drug Warriors are so obsessed with the war on drugs that they will go to ridiculous extremes to find a few drugs.
I am interested in this discussion, but I'd like a question answered by you before I engage. Do you do drugs at all, even pot?

Old 09-26-2016, 05:01 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,511,787 times
The problem with not consenting to a search isn't that you should not volunteer to a search, it is that the typical person having either committed a crime or in the act of doing to think refusing to consent means actively trying to prevent the search at which time no matter what the long term results are, the immediate future probably includes an arrest and the consequences that go with it.

You can refuse to consent to a search but if the cop really sees the need to search they are going to do it. It all comes down to discretion, do you want to be the big man on some video where people are cheering you on as you resist and end up face down on the street or do uou want to be the one standing tall in a court when they read the damages award? Chances are you aren't getting both so take your pick.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:13 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,992,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
The problem with not consenting to a search isn't that you should not volunteer to a search, it is that the typical person having either committed a crime or in the act of doing to think refusing to consent means actively trying to prevent the search at which time no matter what the long term results are, the immediate future probably includes an arrest and the consequences that go with it.

You can refuse to consent to a search but if the cop really sees the need to search they are going to do it. It all comes down to discretion, do you want to be the big man on some video where people are cheering you on as you resist and end up face down on the street or do uou want to be the one standing tall in a court when they read the damages award? Chances are you aren't getting both so take your pick.
Why should you end up face down on the street for exercising your rights? Why should that even be a possibility?

Old 09-26-2016, 05:25 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,445,085 times
Quote:
Someone sent this video to me today, and I still can't believe what I witnessed. It's just further proof that we have a serious policing problem in this country regardless of race or ethnicity.

This is in Lordsburg, N.M.; a town that's only about two hours from me, and a place I pass through quite often. They are known for super aggressive policing, and a local judge who will sign any and every warrant (something you'll see here) that comes across his desk. Sadly enough, this happened in 2012. I'm trying to find out from a pal of mine who grew up there what the ultimate resolution to this was. Rumor has it that the victim was remunerated, but I can't confirm it.

What happens at the end will leave you in shocking disbelief...I won't spoil it. Just watch. It's not long.

Oh...and my apologies for the title of the video. I generally like to keep it clean, but this one is beyond my control.

https://youtu.be/mPEXYkffgpw

Better hope no crap like that ever happens to me, because I will know where they live in short order and we will eliminate those bullies from ever walking the earth again.... One at a time.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:49 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,511,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Why should you end up face down on the street for exercising your rights? Why should that even be a possibility?
Going through life you have choices. Life isn't fair and just because you do the right thing doesn't mean the outcome will be positive. As humans we can go through life always confronting every situation right then and there or we can choose when to take issue and deal with certain situations on our terms or as good as we can make it.

A lot of things shouldn't happen but they do. Its sometimes our choice as to what happens. You can actively resist a search and lose that battle or refuse to consent and if the search is illegal, win the war.

An illegal search is not something that is worth risking your life over although for some that seems to be the only way they see it.

There are lots of calls for de-escalating situations when it comes to cops. Isn't is also a responsibility of people to de-escalate or is it only one way? If a search is illegal, so are the products of that search. If you think risking your life over such a thing is worth it, thats your choice. We have a justice system, if you don't believe in it knowing it is not flawless, maybe its time to throw in the towel and find a better place.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:11 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,077,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Better hope no crap like that ever happens to me, because I will know where they live in short order and we will eliminate those bullies from ever walking the earth again.... One at a time.
Well, OK. Fine with me. Do what you gotta do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies