Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 07:41 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,625,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
have you got proof of this claim you make?

to me knowledge we have no extradition treaty with brazil. unless things have changed in the past ten years or so.

No, we've had an extradition treaty with Brazil since the 60s, I believe, and they really toughened it up somewhere around 1980 or so. They got sick and tired of every major criminal in the world hiding out in Brazil and doing the stuff that criminals do. They figured that having extradition treaties in place would discourage them from relocating there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 07:45 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,877,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
America needs to stand up for its citizens. We are mistreated around the world. I can assure you if these were Russian swimmers, Putin would have kicked some butt by now.
And many Americans mistreat the locals when they travel abroad. Arrogance on our part, everyone needs to adapt to us. Those young men did our nation proud in the pool. To bad they disgraced our nation because they can't handle their booze. Why should Brazil have to tolerate that drunken behavior followed by lies? What makes those athletes above Brazilian law?
Mistreated in this case = having to stay a few extra days in a hotel, not a jail, and clear up their own mess. What horrible punishment.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Americans get a bad rap abroad, incidents like this don't help make our case.
Wow for once we are in complete agreement.
Behavior of a few absolutely makes the rest of us look bad.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:54 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
But I doubt they would detain her and not let her fly back to Iran. I just don't see that happening, nor would I want that to happen. They can clear it up with her back in Iran.
Filing a false report can be either misdemeanor or felon and if there was a global media storm over it, they would not let her leave until the investigation is over.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:54 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
Oh good grief. He acted like a royal d-bag and will surely pay the price for his bad behavior and lies. Does this *really* need to turn into an opportunity for everybody with grievances - real AND perceived - of Americans to roil out of the woodwork and castigate all 350 million of us??!!

Get a grip. Like all human beings across the planet, we have the good and we have the bad. America doesn't own the exclusive title to azzholery.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:01 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
You have a point about extradition being more appropriate for serious crimes than for misdemeanors. I would agree that it would be completely overboard in this case, and I was just using it as an example of where I think your line of reasoning would lead. But at the same time, if Brazil did ask to have Lochte extradited, they would actually have a case, because I believe our extradition treaty with them allows for extradition in any case in which the maximum penalty is more than a year. The maximum penalty for this is 3 years, i believe. But nevertheless, I seriously doubt Brazil would ever request that, and even if they did I would expect it to be denied.

And your reference to... what's her name... Amanda Knox? Yeah, that was a cluster-whatever. You're right, that's an example of a foreign judicial system gone mad, but that's a relatively isolated example, and frankly it's just part of the risk Americans have to accept when they travel overseas. When you visit another country, you are no longer under the jurisdiction and protection of American law - you're subject to the law of whatever country you're visiting, and the cold reality is that sometimes Americans are going to get screwed. The government can protect you up to a point, in certain circumstances, but there are times when it can't do a thing for you, and anyone traveling to another country has to understand that and accept that risk. If they want to be totally safe from other countries' laws, they need to not go to other countries.

But in this case, I don't even think that's particularly relevant. there's no indication or reason to suspect that these kids are being mistreated or are going to be mistreated - the police even said they don't plan to arrest them, just get the true story and make them apologize. There's no reason at all for our government to step in and protect them from that, and certainly no imaginable justification for "kicking butt." I think you're really overreacting in the extreme here. They're fully grown men who behaved poorly and then made a series of really stupid decisions, and there's no reason at all that they shouldn't be held accountable for their actions.
Up to three years in a Brazilian prison for ebellishing a story after it got so much media attention? Screw that! They acted like drunken idiots, and paid for the damages at gunpoint. That should be the end of it. No way should they serve prison terms for that, especially in a crime hellhole like Brazil.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
True. If this were the basketball team or the golf team, the missiles would already be in the air.
Good point. If this was the Dream Team, it would be a whole different story. And not because they're mostly black, but because they're more beloved here in America.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Really???

I get it now. since I am an American citizen I can go to any country I want urinate on someone private property, break their door and walk out like nothing happened because I'm American.
To some of the posters above I can bet if it was the majority African-american track team all of you guys would be saying these thugs and "dindu nuffins" should be punished by Brazilian law.

I never understood the stereotypes that other countries had of Americans. A lot of Europeans living in tourist areas said things like American tourists tend to be stuck-up people who feel like their entitled. Well we clearly see people over saying just because their American they are free to commit crime.
I think the security guard did while inappropriate, was a quick and easy way to not involve courts in the dispute. Get the 4 tall, drunk and athletic men held at gunpoint before they do anything too stupid so they could sober up and instead of wasting your time and money on these Americans who probably could out-lawyer you in court force them to pay and leave.
I would be saying the exact same thing if it was the track team.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:05 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
I know you would your one of the saner people on this forum, but some others wouldn't.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Up to three years in a Brazilian prison for ebellishing a story after it got so much media attention? Screw that! They acted like drunken idiots, and paid for the damages at gunpoint. That should be the end of it. No way should they serve prison terms for that, especially in a crime hellhole like Brazil.
When you travel you are subject to that nation's laws. It makes no difference if you, I or anyone else agrees with said laws. Only the USA seems to feel the need to ignore our own laws when a foreigner violates them.
No way should those young men of drank to the point they acted like idiots. No way should they have assumed that they would get a free pass simply because they won a medal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies