Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 08:27 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I would bet that very few if any did it in Brazil.
You'd lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 08:31 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I would feel much more outraged if they had committed a real crime, but peeing on the side of the building and breaking a door, which they paid for at the point of a gun? I just can't get outraged over it.
They behaved like drunken frat boys but the crime is lying to police - that they were robbed at gunpoint and they were robbed by corrupt police. It appears the two from the plane are, or will be, on their way home but Jimmy Feigen went into hiding so he won't be with them.

Also - they have some 'splaiining to do to wives and girlfrirnds:

"Mr. Veloso said one of the first leads in the investigation had come from a taxi driver who gave a ride to two Brazilian women who had left the same party and discussed having romantic encounters with the swimmers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/19/sp...t-assault.html

Old 08-18-2016, 08:31 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I contend it would be better to be caned then be sent to a Brazilian prison. And if those guys didn't pay up for the damages, about a thousand times over I might add, they may have been killed. No thanks, I'd take Singapore justice instead.
I don't think they would have been killed, The Gas Station Owners are not criminals and neither is the security guard, plus as Americans no sane non-criminal Brazilian would think of harming them, I wonder if the guy recognized their faces. Their are some people who are just too famous or their nationality means that only criminals would want to mess with them. For example someone like Didier Drogba who is a soccer player that helped stop a civil war in his home country, could probably walk in the most gang infested area of Ivory Coast (his home country), and nothing will happen to him.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:32 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
^^^ I am not as much outraged as what they did but outraged at how instead of going on their way Ryan Lochte not only lied to his mother but even thought to tell her and then she made it a big deal. The "gunpoint thing" settles it. As someone who was born and routinely goes to third world countries (Although Brazil besides crime is clearly on the same level as Turkey so not really third world IMO), poorer people and people in general like to settle things outside of court because they simply can't afford to go to court or see it at a waste of money or time, but that doesn't mean they will be pushed over by wealthier people. Most third world countries don't have the same court culture of the U.S and simply don't want it. Your boss might be sympathetic to you fighting a court case in the U.S while other places not so much.
Besides crime it's second world I guess, but the murder rate in Brazil dwarfs that of all other countries. They had 56,000 murders in one year a couple of years ago. Who knows what it is right now, or if they even truly count all their murders. It could be higher now.

Their murder rate is so bad they have even entertained relaxing gun control laws to allow more citizens the right to protect themselves. Right now the criminals have guns, but the law abiding citizens do not.

Brazil Has Nearly 60,000 Murders, And It May Relax Gun Laws : Parallels : NPR

Old 08-18-2016, 08:35 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
They behaved like drunken frat boys but the crime is lying to police - that they were robbed at gunpoint and they were robbed by corrupt police. It appears the two from the plane are, or will be, on their way home but Jimmy Feigen went into hiding so he won't be with them.

"Mr. Veloso said one of the first leads in the investigation had come from a taxi driver who gave a ride to two Brazilian women who had left the same party and discussed having romantic encounters with the swimmers.

Do you know for a fact that the swimmers broke the door or mirrors? This story could have been fabricated by the security guards who shook the boys down for money.

This happened in Mexico to a college student and his friends years ago. police stopped them saying the did something wrong.. and asked for money.. they gave the money and talked about it when the got home.. one does not call the police thinking they could be corrupt as well in Brazil.

I have heard from people who travel that some countries the corruption is so bad it is better to pay then to stand for your rights.. it gets you in jail.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I don't think they would have been killed, The Gas Station Owners are not criminals and neither is the security guard, plus as Americans no sane non-criminal Brazilian would think of harming them, I wonder if the guy recognized their faces. Their are some people who are just too famous or their nationality means that only criminals would want to mess with them. For example someone like Didier Drogba who is a soccer player that helped stop a civil war in his home country, could probably walk in the most gang infested area of Ivory Coast (his home country), and nothing will happen to him.
True, it would be much too hard to explain away if Olympic athletes went missing, from any country. But it would still be terrifying. I think he told his mom one thing, she blabbed to the media, he may have liked the attention, and then it got scary when the police started questioning the story. They should have told what really happened once the media got involved, but they didn't. I still don't think the Brazilians are handling it well.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:42 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Although I'm not pro guns, I don't believe in gun control for non islands (Japan, Australia and U.K). When their are so many gun making companies in the U.S and even in our area (Katy-Richmond), their has been incidents over the years of HS kids breaking into cars and grabbing guns and or purse left in the car, it seems that gun control wouldn't work in all of SA and Central America just because of how easy it is for criminals to move guns from U.S.A to Mexico and the entire continent.
Also Latin America is accurate about their gun homicides, while West Africa isn't as bad as Brazil some parts of Southern Africa are and take into mind that most African countries homicide rates are estimates. I think D.R.C is probably close to as murderous as Brazil. The capital of Kinshasa alone has high estimated murder rate something like 60-100 per 100,000.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:56 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
To tell you the truth , It is all possible the swimmers were telling the absolute truth.. the swimmers could have come out of the bathroom, got into their cab, had a guy with a badge tell them to get out of the taxi with a gun drawn.. and proceed to rob them.

It is on camera and this could be what actually happened.

The guards could have made up the story about them breaking mirrors in the bathroom and breaking the bathroom door.. Those guards very well could have robbed the American swimmers.

Nothing in the tape tells me the swimmers were lying. We shall see what the swimmers have to say.
Ever hear of a website called "CNN?" Check it out sometime. The brats admitted it. You need to dream up some different alternate reality theory.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post

Well, there you go. That's probably why they lied, and continued to lie. It's not an excuse, but an explanation.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:01 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Immature, privileged, man-children!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies