Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 10:06 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times

Advertisements

It seems the the poor folks down in Louisiana would like the POTUS to stop his golf game and visit.

Our Views: Vacation or not, a hurting Louisiana needs you now, President Obama | Our Views | theadvocate.com

I believe the future POTUS made a big fuss back when President Bush only flew over the Katrina affected area. I guess the golf game is pretty important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 10:11 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
It seems the the poor folks down in Louisiana would like the POTUS to stop his golf game and visit.

Our Views: Vacation or not, a hurting Louisiana needs you now, President Obama | Our Views | theadvocate.com

I believe the future POTUS made a big fuss back when President Bush only flew over the Katrina affected area. I guess the golf game is pretty important.
To be fair, there is a huge difference between Katrina and this flood.

Honestly, I don't feel Obama should travel to Louisana over this flood.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:30 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times
Angry Louisiana newspaper urges Obama to end his vacation and visit flood sites

Last week, as torrential rains brought death, destruction and misery to Louisiana, the president continued his vacation at Martha’s Vineyard, a playground for the posh and and well-connected.

We’ve seen this story before in Louisiana, and we don’t deserve a sequel. In 2005, a fly-over by a vacationing President George W. Bush became a symbol of official neglect for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. The current president was among those making political hay out of Bush’s aloofness.

The Advocate says if Obama was able to “interrupt his vacation for a swanky fundraiser for fellow Democrat Hillary Clinton, as he did on Monday, then surely he can make time to show up for a catastrophe that’s displaced thousands.”

Obama is not the only one who has been criticized for not paying enough attention to the battered state. Both Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton and Republican nominee Donald Trump have stayed mum on the floods. (Clinton tweeted about them once on Tuesday, but that’s it.)
Louisiana newspaper urges Obama to end his vacation and visit flood sites

Politicians only care about the money they can steal from citizens to enrich their own lives!

Old 08-18-2016, 10:54 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

There is huge difference between this flood and a golf game.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:57 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,447 times
Default Louisiana Record Floods, Obama on Vacation

Where is the outrage? Shouldn't the president be in his office, lighting a fire under FEMA to save the day?

Old 08-18-2016, 11:01 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,447 times
These things only matter when the president is a republican. A democrat can do whatever he wants, any time, and news media will cover for him. Notice how this is not even being discussed in the media.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:02 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
There is huge difference between this flood and a golf game.
Please don't force me to continue defending Obama, I already had to defend him in another thread today, and twice in one day is a little overwhelming for me. I'm feeling a little ill.

That being said, if Obama went and toured Louisana, that would require resources to be diverted which shouldn't be. It would be an unnecessary distraction.

Even having Airforce One enter that airspace would mean flights carrying supplies or support personnel would be delayed or diverted.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:04 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:

With all the electronic media there is no need to go anywhere, when it can be viewed virtually.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:06 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Besides screw up traffic and hamper recovery efforts with his security detail, what is a half assed lawyer going to accomplish with his presence? Oh I suppose he can fill a few sandbags for a photo op and hold a press conference to heap praise on the helpful govt employees while conjuring a fake tear for the victims.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:07 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

This was just declared the worst disaster since Hurricane Sandy. It is a huge flood, my friends from Louisana are posting pics of entire neighborhoods flooded up to the roofs. People have formed civilian rescue teams because there are not enough resources to save everyone from their homes.

I have tons of empathy for the people in LA. They are being ignored by Obama and not getting the media coverage or public attention they deserve due to the Olympics.

In 2010, Nashville flooded the same weekend as the failed Times Square bombing, and we got almost no coverage. It's surreal to have your city going underwater, watch people standing on their roof as their flooded house burns, hoping to get rescued in time, and yet no one outside your area even realize what is happening. CNN finally made it here almost a week after the flood, and they were shocked at the devastation. Anderson Cooper issued a public apology for ignoring us.

Obama never came to Nashville or even made a public statement about our flood. From personal experience, when your city is experiencing a tragedy like that, you just want people to hear your story. To acknowledge what is happening. You want to hear that your leaders care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies