Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 12:45 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Ellington View Post
I never understood why Obama kept his birth certificate from the public for so long.
The campaign released it in 2008. Then the Birfers moved on the the "long form", and President Obama shrugged that off for the longest time.

From where I sit, it worked beautifully. The more people harped on it, the sillier they looked. Crowned by Trump being roasted neatly over the subject at the correspondents' dinner. President Obama, for all his faults, is masterly at letting his opponents continue unhindered when they're making a mistake. Someone needs to engrave "Please proceed, Governor" over the entrance to his library.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:46 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Is this a surprise to anyone? Trump's entire campaign has been built in a large part around catering to bigots and ignoramuses. They call themselves the "alt-right". Pandering to fear of Brown people is Trump's bread and butter.
Correction: pandering to fear of brown men. These guys with their outdated and despicable views can't attract white women, so they try to go to Southeast Asia, China, and Latin America to get laid. They hate ethnic men, but tolerate ethnic women. Go to Reddit where it's on prime display, the home of the Alt-Right

Old 08-18-2016, 12:47 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
I never understood why Obama kept his birth certificate from the public for so long.
He didn't "keep his birth certificate from the public for so long," he released it before the 2008 election. And he never should have been required to do so in the first place.

Quote:
The birthers don't really bother me. matter of fact, if not for them we would not have got the bc released. IMO, we need skeptics in the world.
What did you learn from his birth certificate that the Republican governor of Hawaii hadn't already verified numerous times beforehand? Oh, that's right, absolutely nothing. It was just a tactic to smear the first black presidential candidate.

Birthers are idiots and/or racists. There is no dispute about that.

Donald Trump is a birther.

Enough said.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:53 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times
Default 20% of trump...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
He didn't "keep his birth certificate from the public for so long," he released it before the 2008 election. And he never should have been required to do so in the first place.

What did you learn from his birth certificate that the Republican governor of Hawaii hadn't already verified numerous times beforehand? Oh, that's right, absolutely nothing. It was just a tactic to smear the first black presidential candidate.

Birthers are idiots and/or racists. There is no dispute about that.

Donald Trump is a birther.

Enough said.

Thanks for pointing out the TRUTH here that it is a FACT, which I will repeat for the sake of emphasis, that Republican Governor Linda Lingle of Hawaii verified that Obama's birth certificate was valid.
No if's, and's or buts. Period. Case closed.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:54 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
I never understood why Obama kept his birth certificate from the public for so long. It is like Hillary with med records and Trump with taxes. When you hide it from us, we fill in the blanks. The birthers don't really bother me. matter of fact, if not for them we would not have got the bc released. IMO, we need skeptics in the world.
Why would he have to provide a birth certificate? Because some didn't realize Hawaii wasn't part of the US.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:55 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Why would he have to provide a birth certificate? Because some didn't realize Hawaii wasn't part of the US.
Well, I did say that birthers are idiots.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:56 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
So 20% of President Trump's supports are 150 years old? Who knew?
You have a reading problem?

Old 08-18-2016, 12:56 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
As usual, the way a question is presented, and whether or not the person polled understands it has a great effect on the outcome. I wonder how many objected to the executive order that "freed all slaves in the states that were in rebellion against the federal government" not because it freed those slaves, but because it only freed the slaves in those states, leaving slavery intact in the other states.
When I read exactly how the question was phrased, I could see multiple reasons why someone might disagree with it. Besides what you pointed out, you may also have people who would argue with the statement "states in rebellion" as being an inaccurate description. You may also have people who would object to the use of "executive orders".

Of course, there is probably a solid chunk who are disappointed slavery has ended, but I agree it is a pointless and loaded question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Lurker View Post
Everyone is the USA is a slave, a slave to the government!

Don't believe me, go tell the IRS you're not paying income tax anymore and see whats happens. Oh you want to opt out of Obama Care, well that to is mandatory so you will be penalized. You're not free at all you just have enough choices that you think you're free.
...and where, pray tell, may one go if they wish to be "free" per your definition? Seems to me that one of the basic premises of civilization is that we all give up some of our freedoms/choices in order to have a functioning society.

Quote:
I never understood why Obama kept his birth certificate from the public for so long. It is like Hillary with med records and Trump with taxes. When you hide it from us, we fill in the blanks. The birthers don't really bother me. matter of fact, if not for them we would not have got the bc released. IMO, we need skeptics in the world.
Nothing wrong with skeptics, as long as they have logic on their side. Sadly most skeptics operate at the absolute fringe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
They are also misogynists, and hate that white women don't believe their lot in life involves being chained to the kitchen, barefoot, and pregnant
Trump has certainly build a coalition of the hateful. It's his biggest issue with trying to "tone it down" and move to center. If he does that, his base will evaporate.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:00 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
The rest of the story:

Exit Poll Says 20 Percent of Trump Supporters are Pro-Slavery? : snopes.com

It was a Republican that moved to free the slaves and the most racist POTUS was Johnson a Democrat.

Comparing Dems and GOP:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...ite-democrats/ Obama being in office has not done the blacks any favors!

Old 08-18-2016, 01:15 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,337,759 times
100% of Democrats didn't approve of it either...check your history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies