Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 03:15 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Watch how much it's value crashes with homeless sleeping on your street.
That's one reason we have new SUVs. Plenty of ground clearance for those "speed bumps."

Old 08-18-2016, 03:16 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
The fact that you seemed aghast at the idea of looking at and moving to a less expensive part of the country, a 'middle of nowhere' type place. It strikes me as a little condescending. I don't know, maybe I'm misreading you.

I've seen this attitude in a few friends and acquaintances, extended family, some of my girlfriend's family -- this complaining about how much things cost while insisting that the ONLY place that's worthy is a cosmopolitan city with all the amenities. The attitude exists, maybe I'm wrong about you having it.
Moving to a middle of nowhere place will get you cheaper rent and a long streak of unemployment. Cities are where jobs are. What I do you can't do in a rural area. So rural living isn't an option.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:17 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Funny, because I pulled up Tampa metro apartments and found over 2000 available right now for under $1000
Over 1000 in Miami metro, over 700 in Jacksonville metro, 300 in Orlando.

If there were no affordable rental units out there, these would have had a waiting list and they wouldn't have to list them as available.

This nationwide CRISIS!!!!!!! that you are going on and on about can easily be shown as not much of a crisis by simply showing that there ARE IN FACT units available all over the place for under $1000 a month even in metro areas. Maybe they aren't the location that you want, but they are in fact out there.

Lots of 1BR and 2BR under $1,000 but location matters, especially for low income people who don't have cars and are thus dependent on public transportation.

What use is a cheap apartment if there is no transit and you cannot get to work?

Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL MSA
Efficiency 1 Bedroom 2 Bedrooms 3 Bedrooms 4 Bedrooms
Final FY2016 FMRs $668 $795 $992 $1,319 $1,575

Old 08-18-2016, 03:19 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
Quote:
Funny, because I pulled up Tampa metro apartments and found over 2000 available right now for under $1000
Over 1000 in Miami metro, over 700 in Jacksonville metro, 300 in Orlando.

If there were no affordable rental units out there, these would have had a waiting list and they wouldn't have to list them as available.

This nationwide CRISIS!!!!!!! that you are going on and on about can easily be shown as not much of a crisis by simply showing that there ARE IN FACT units available all over the place for under $1000 a month even in metro areas. Maybe they aren't the location that you want, but they are in fact out there.
Another thing. Just because you see a posting doesn't mean there are many units.

I checked out apartments listed on Craigslist recently. Went in to the complex with the price quote only to find there is one unit available and the price is slightly different (always more) and many fees associated with the rental. If there is a liar about rental prices it is googling it. The sales tactics will do anything you get you into the complex and lock you in.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Only if they have the money to buy in the first place. You don't just walk up to a house and call dibs and get to have that house, you have to BUY it.

That's why I said owning. Owning means you have already bought it or otherwise acquired title to it.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:22 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,960 times
Quote:
Remember to that the face rental price is but one piece of actually cost. You also have fees associated with rent, water, electric isn't included, as well as rental insurance.
What fees associated with rent? I rarely had to pay for water separately and it was very cheap when I did. Electric was quite cheap. These fees absolutely pale compared to the costs of normal house upkeep -- see my earlier post about $8K AC, $2.4K new door and frame, $4K water heater costs... expenses renters will never have to pay. All I'm saying is renting really doesn't have a lot of other costs, in terms of money, time, or effort. That's part of its charm, frankly.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:23 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Incumbent homeowners got theirs, everyone else can go to hell, is the prevailing attitude.
I don't understand; you say this as if it were a bad thing.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
Building code laws prevent private sector from rehabbing old houses. They dictate even how many mini-holes there should be in a screen window. So I guess they must go to someone who is a friend of the man who is the building code inspector.

"Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall"

Old 08-18-2016, 03:24 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,960 times
Quote:
An established builder. One who has the business already but it currently only building expensive apartments.
If that builder wanted to do that, wouldn't they be doing that?

Old 08-18-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I don't understand; you say this as if it were a bad thing.

It is a bad thing when incumbent homeowners use government policy to curtail the property rights and economic liberty of other property owners.

By definition, renters necessarily depend on the property rights of property owners, so I defend those property rights, especially when some property owners want to curtail them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies