Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 07:54 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Some commercial construction is going still.
Some all cash visitors building or rebuilding as well, but we are at a 45 year old low for home ownership.
So called homeownership rates peaked with the housing bubble when anyone with a pulse could get a mortgage.

Reasons for the decline include:

Long term trend of delaying marriage and starting families, consistent throughout the developed world

Uncertainty of home ownership as a sound investment

Student Loan Debt

Tighter lending standards than existed during the housing bubble

Strong desire to remain in hip urban areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 07:55 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
This has been going on for decades. There are still plenty of blue collar jobs. Plus most kids these days go to college and don't want blue collar jobs grandpa.
And most of them fail or just drop out of college too because they aren't equipped for college, junior.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:59 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Do you have a white collar job? Do you care that blue collar jobs in the US are disappearing with companies that move jobs overseas or that workers in the service industries are losing their jobs to illegals?

I really want to know that if you and your spouse (if married), are college educated and have white collar jobs, then you care whether blue collar workers are losing their jobs or is it mostly a "can't see it from my house" issue for you and your family? Where does it rank on your "issues important to me" list?
If they support the Democrats, I'd laugh my behind off.

If they support the Republican or Libertarian, I feel really bad.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Do you have a white collar job? Do you care that blue collar jobs in the US are disappearing with companies that move jobs overseas or that workers in the service industries are losing their jobs to illegals?

I really want to know that if you and your spouse (if married), are college educated and have white collar jobs, then you care whether blue collar workers are losing their jobs or is it mostly a "can't see it from my house" issue for you and your family? Where does it rank on your "issues important to me" list?
Blue collar workers have been loosing their jobs for decades.

Employment in coal mines peaked in the 1920's. Closing in on 100 years and perhaps it's time to get over it.

Employment in the steel mills peaked in the 60's. Wages and benefits made US production less competitive in the global market. Today 2 workers can produce as much output that once required 12 workers due to technology substitution.

15% of all manufacturing jobs were permanently eliminated between 2000-2010 due to technology substitution. It's likely another 15% will have been lost by the end of this decade for the same reason.

Small business owners in the trades employ undocumented workers because they are a better bang for the buck.

Millions of former rule- based based white collar jobs have been eliminated by technology substitution.

Tens of thousands of accounting and tech jobs have been offshored to India with cheaper, well educated, competent English speaking workers.

US companies are not willing to cap their potential by limiting the sale of their products and services to 5 % of the world's population. 60% of GE's profits are now derived from offshore business. Starbucks is building 700 new coffee shops this year. Most are in Asia.

The Tupperware brand peaked in the US decades ago. They went global with a focus on Indonesia where Tupperware parties became the rage. They were not foolish enough to think the typical Indonesian household had enough disposable income to pay for Made in the USA Tupperware So they built a factory in Indonesia and created jobs in Indonesia for product destined for the Indonesian market.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Obama claims he fixed all that? The way he and liberals talk life is great for everyone, so much so they're voting for Obama 2.0... Hillary.

No shortage of Conservatives who talk as if 315 million people are going to hell in a handbag.

It's never great for everyone.

It never sucks for everyone.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The liberal elites certainly don't. THey're not the ones who lose jobs to illegal aliens, and their kids can also afford the additional college tuition hikes that are implemented to fund illegal aliens going with the Dream Act.

Liberals look down on blue collar Americans. But for some reason, they really love ghetto people, Section 8 leeches, illegal aliens, and Muslim refugees......from a distance!
Blue collar is a broad term.

Historically it meant the trade people and manufacturing that worked under collective bargaining agreements.

I might be wrong but I thought most Unions tended to favor the Democrat party.

Looking down on people by profession, race, ethnicity, religio and reverse snobbery is as bipartisan as it gets in the US.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:21 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times
Quote:
Do you have a white collar job?
No.

Quote:
Do you care that blue collar jobs in the US are disappearing with companies that move jobs overseas or that workers in the service industries are losing their jobs to illegals?
Yes, it's very concerning to me. Those who place love of profit over the well-being of their countrymen/women feel Ferengi-like to me. They make me feel icky.

Quote:
I really want to know that if you and your spouse (if married)
I'm single.

Quote:
are college educated and have white collar jobs
I actually did go to college, but advanced Algebra kicked my butt. Hard.

Quote:
then you care whether blue collar workers are losing their jobs or is it mostly a "can't see it from my house" issue for you and your family?
Outsourcing has definitely had a really bad effect on our economy. I don't have a house, but I do see it from my apartment.

Quote:
Where does it rank on your "issues important to me" list?
Probably 3, maybe 4. I have a pretty long list though, so even though it's not a 2, or even a 1; it's still pretty important to me.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Care to list all those "Blue Collar" jobs you say there are plenty of?? Maybe Walmart, McDonalds??
Most blue collar jobs have either left the country or are now being filled by illegals.
Most?

I assume you are referring to those employed in manufacturing.

Back when millions toiled in factories 12-16 hours a day, 6 days a week making crap wages. Unions lifted these workers into the middle class, decent wages, benefits and of course pensions. It worked reasonabley well for white men for a blip in time.

Who is willing to pay a premium to sustain the blue collar US middle class when the average wage in Bangkadesh is . 33/ hr and brown men work 12-16 hour days, 6 days a week if they are lucky.

12.3 million Americans are employed in manufacturing , despite shedding 5 million jobs since 2000. The US continues to dominate the commercial aircraft, weapons and auto manufacturing- big ticket stuff with minimal competition.

How many manufacturies built new state of the art plants in Right to Work states? A seasoned worker at the Boeing plant in Washington could earn enough to support a family of 4 , after taxes. A seasoned worker in a Right to Work state performing the same job function makes considerably less than his counterpart on the West coast. He might even qualify for an Earned Income Tax Credit and some welfare benefits.

The higher the manpower cost, the easier it is to justify an investment in technology substitution.

How many of the jobs lost were lost to technology substitution versus outsourcing to cheaper labor pools? We know with certainty that 15% of manufacturing jobs were permanently lost due to technology substitution between 2000-2010.

U.S. has lost 5 million manufacturing jobs since 2000 - Mar. 29, 2016

Old 08-18-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Fairly high.

However,

(A) I think blue collar workers are losing their jobs primarily to technology and various labor-saving methods, not trade, so I really haven't been very amenable to the anti-NAFTA / Pro-Trump arguments. I think they're missing the big picture.

(B) I have much less sympathy for people in heavily polluting / extraction industries who lost their jobs who complain about the EPA. As far as I'm concerned, nobody should have a 'right' to pollute the public air and water for profit, even if it is traditional.

on the other hand, I think that work visas and illegal immigrants screw over blue collar workers. Even though economic consensus is that "immigrants create jobs for native-born workers," I don't think economists are correct about that.
We are on the same page.

I cannot imagine what the wall is going to eventually cost once the cost of acquiring the privately owned land is factored in. That Mexico will pay for it is bunk.

So long as undocumented can continue to find employment, they will find a way. 70 million people enter the US each year for tourism and business. Once here they are free to travel anywhere. A small percent overstay their visas.

Better to invest in upgrading e- Verify for biometrics and making it a federal law. Sieze the assets of anyone or any business employing or harboring undocumented workers.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:13 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:

I read this on a monitor, typed this response on a keyboard, with a computer all made in China in a hotel room cleaned by Juanita...

[so I guess not]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies