Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 09:44 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
And many kids are making less money from going to college than they would in many blue collar fields.

Exactly, but they will still look down their noses at the blue collar guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 09:45 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Do you have any statistics that prove that "most drop out"? Everyone I know had graduated and is doing fine. ANy average high school student can graduate college.
That seems to depend on the selectivity of the school attended.

When the selective rate of the school is 25% or less, 89% graduate from a 4 year degree program within 6 years.

When the selective rate of the school is greater than 25% of applicants, the graduation rate from a 4 year degree program within 6 years falls to just 36%.

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=40

Generally speaking, the more selective a school, the higher its base tuition.

Generally speaking, acceptance at the most selective schools is need- blind.

Generally speaking, the family's home equity and retirement funding are not considered for financial aid purposes.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:45 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Do you have a white collar job? Do you care that blue collar jobs in the US are disappearing with companies that move jobs overseas or that workers in the service industries are losing their jobs to illegals?

I really want to know that if you and your spouse (if married), are college educated and have white collar jobs, then you care whether blue collar workers are losing their jobs or is it mostly a "can't see it from my house" issue for you and your family? Where does it rank on your "issues important to me" list?

Old 08-19-2016, 09:56 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Most likely in a factory staffed by other robots. Anyone that thinks manufacturing jobs are ever going to come back needs to put down the bong and go back to school. The days when you could finish high school, get a job at the factory and live comfortably middle class are gone for good. I am sick of all the whining and complaining from people that think their choice to skip out on the educational opportunities available in the United States should garner them one bit of sympathy. If a person living in a third world country with no education can do your job for a fraction of the cost, why should I and other consumers in the United States have to pay higher prices to support your lazy ass? You had the same chance to go to college as anyone else and chose not to, now it is time to suck it up and deal with the consequences of that decision.

I actually worked at a "robot" manufacturing plant, many years ago. It was called Fanuc Robotics. They specialized in painting robots for the automotive industry. There where plenty of designers, engineers, machinists, and assembly people working at that plant. I worked at the very end of the line, when the entire robot assembly was complete. I had to take it and set it up as if it was in the customers plant. Then we had to run it for 40 hours , debugging any mechanical and software issues. This was in 1988, I think I was making something like $13 and hour. It was sort of fun but I knew then , plant life wasn't for me.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:01 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Exactly, but they will still look down their noses at the blue collar guys.
You know what? I worked in banking in my 20s, and I learned quickly, that there are a lot of men who own the local car repair shops, HVAC companies, or trash hauling businesses, who can buy and sell some of the lawyers, accountants and architects in town. Those guys with grease under their nails were laughing all the way to the bank.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post

2. If we had a more robust manufacturing sector, there would be more blue collar jobs
(We do have a robust manufacturing sector) United States expected to lead as the top manufacturing nation by 2020 | Deloitte Singapore | Manufacturing | Press releases
Deloitte surveyed 500 CEOs around the world to determine the near term competitiveness of global manufacturing. The study concluded that by 2020, the US would regain the top spot for global manufacturing with the current leader, China sliding to second place.

This conclusion is primarily based upon the investment in industrial robotics and is supported with facts that the US has emerged as the largest investor in and consumer of industrial robotics.

It has nothing to do with politics or government regulations. If this conclusion is realized, the next POTUS will take a bow.

Regaining the top spot as the world's largest manufacturer does not however necessarily mean the masses will suddenly become employed in manufacturing. People with minimal education and marketable job skills will continue to be challenged to find employment that keeps pace with inflation.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:21 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
From my space yacht you all look like ants, so why should I care what happens to you? Actually you don't even look like ants. I can't see you at all, and your cities look like specks. There is only me and my serving wenches. I care about them though, I really do.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
But we had to **** up the Nations health care system because 30 35 or 40 million Americans were without health insurance.
The healthcare system was ****** up long before the ACA.

Do your homework and pull the transcripts of speeches Nixon made 40+ years ago and Hillary made 25 years ago to Congress about the state of healthcare in the US. They both remain as relevent today as they did back then.

According to the Kaiser Institute, who tracks healthcare, about 50 million people in the US were uninsured in 2010, about 16% of the population.

Fascinating that we get wound up by less than 1% of the US population that identifies as Muslim, yet ignore 16% of the people without insurance.

No worries.
Trump promised to " replace the ACA with something wonderful that will take care of everybody and the government is going to pay for it"

Old 08-19-2016, 10:26 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Blue collar workers share the similar fate as dodo birds.

In the old days, the balance of power between business owners and labor was more even because they both needed each other. But today that has all changed..

Big employers will continue to look for ways to replace men with machines, and there is nothing wrong with that. But there is another major trend that is also destroying blue collar jobs in America that we should do something about.

We were told that the "one world economy" would be great for America, but the truth is that it has only been great for the giant corporations. For the average working man, it has been a disaster.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What about those blue-collared jobs that can't be outsourced or automated? Why do Americans have to compete with cheap, illegal aliens for those jobs? Even if one can afford to go to college not everyone wants to be a white collared desk jockey.
Could it be that the small business that hire undocumented workers find them to be a better bang for the $.

Could it be the powerful Chamber of Commerce lobby, that represents small businesses likes things the way they are. And Congress does not bite the hands that feed them.

Could it be that with the exception of a handful of states, e-Verify of all employees is not mandatory.

Could it be that hundreds of Sanctuary Cities have existed throughout the US for decades. Heck, Florida has multiple Sanctuary Counties.

Could it be that Congress has been kicking the can for more than 30 years. It has not mattered who sat the oval or held the majority.

Could it be that the House declined to stand up and be counted and vote on the bipartisan Senate bill?

Could it be the House never gave traction to any Houseinitiated immigration bills?

Building a Wall is not going to put a dent into illegal immigration so long as small businesses continue to recruit and hire undocumented workers.And how many of those small businesses sub contract to larger businesses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies