Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 07:15 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times

Advertisements

Like most issues reduced to liberal and conservative, this isn't actually a liberal/conservative issue.

I dislike both words. Both parties are liberal parties. I dislike the term "conservative" as it basically means nothing. It means to conserve what once was. By this definition, the Republican party and other "right wing" parties are still just liberal, continuing the trend of liberalism started in Europe (mostly England) in the 1600s. The US is a liberal democracy, so it makes sense that our two major parties, as well as most minor parties, are also liberal. But there are different kinds of liberal. To keep the overly simple left/right narrative alive, a liberal believes in equality and liberty, it just so happens that the left leaning ones prefer equality while the right leaning ones prefer liberty. Again, way over simplified and filled with various contradictions, but that's the general premise that at least make more sense than the unnecessary liberal/conservative dichotomy that makes the parties seem as if they represent massive ideological opposites when this really is not the case.

In regards to this, it's far more complicated. The issue of immigration comes down to globalism against nationalism. The globalist argues that the future will have a world centric economy and not taking this into consideration would be foolish in the long run. Thus, we should encourage or accept multiculturalism to show our willingness to become part of the world economy rather than just focusing on our own. The nationalist argues that heiritage and nations matter more. Unified culture is what makes a successful country and we should care about our own kind before we start worrying about others. Many will be quick to say we have our own problems, so why try and solve the problems of others?

I'd say the issue is somewhere in the middle. Cultural heiritage and unity is necessary for social cohesion. If there is great social unrest, there's no sensible reason to assume that the economy wouldn't suffer as a result. However, globalization is inevitable. We have the luxury, however, of shaping what that looks like. There's no reason we can't want secure border and pride in our heiritage without being part of the world economy. That also does not mean we do not respect the culture of others, nor does it mean we allow no immigrants who want to change their own culture (as well as ours; cultures are not static).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 07:24 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I've chatted with a few of my LGBT friends, and they are indeed concerned about having in influx of ME immigrants who would be totally against their lifestyle and the gains they've made in US society accepting gay marriage and such.

Of course, Obama is really a recent convert to their cause.
I dont blame the LGBT community for being concerned. Honor killing is also a popular concept in those countries when kids dont align with their values & dare to rebel. Canada, UK has this issue among immigrants. Please understand the concept of FREEDOM. West is freedom for a ME woman but a prison for the man. He is no longer in control of women, kids & society. He has to give equal rights to his wife, allow her to drive & dress as she wants, cannot practice polygamy or stop kids from marrying same gender or outside religion. Some of these actions have death penalty in ME.

There are liberals in ME who are misfits but they have already moved to west through a valid visa or planning their escape. I am sure even refugees have lots of liberals who escaped but how do you determine the filters that will send back conservatives & accept only liberals? Assuming that everyone is a prisoner in those countries is the biggest flaw of liberal ideology. A lot of them want to live under those strict rules. I understand that liberals mean well but West is not necessarily 'freedom' for some people. To the conservative religious male, western democracy is enslaving him, not giving him freedom so ofcourse he is going to rebel against his masters.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:20 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
I dont blame the LGBT community for being concerned. Honor killing is also a popular concept in those countries when kids dont align with their values & dare to rebel. Canada, UK has this issue among immigrants. Please understand the concept of FREEDOM. West is freedom for a ME woman but a prison for the man. He is no longer in control of women, kids & society. He has to give equal rights to his wife, allow her to drive & dress as she wants, cannot practice polygamy or stop kids from marrying same gender or outside religion. Some of these actions have death penalty in ME.

There are liberals in ME who are misfits but they have already moved to west through a valid visa or planning their escape. I am sure even refugees have lots of liberals who escaped but how do you determine the filters that will send back conservatives & accept only liberals? Assuming that everyone is a prisoner in those countries is the biggest flaw of liberal ideology. A lot of them want to live under those strict rules. I understand that liberals mean well but West is not necessarily 'freedom' for some people. To the conservative religious male, western democracy is enslaving him, not giving him freedom so ofcourse he is going to rebel against his masters.
Agreed.

Even many mild conservative dudes think the ME is bad news for the reasons you said.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:31 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Nice deflection.
Boring novel.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:44 PM

31,006 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Yes you are right. I used to be a democrat but for this election I feel like the labels have been swapped so I am voting for Trump. A post-graduate independent immigrant non-religious woman from a third world country voting for Trump. Everything about me shouts liberal but I am all for the GOP this year. Its an identity crisis for me. When people ask me why Trump, I tell them because I support LGBT, abortion, gender equality so I dont want whats happening in europe to happen here. I am all for legal immigration if people show they are willing to work hard, go through proper visa application process & align with the Western values.
Exact view point here but left the Democrat party in 2000.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:45 PM

31,006 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed.

Even many mild conservative dudes think the ME is bad news for the reasons you said.
Ditto, well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies