Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 04:00 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times

Advertisements

I thought that I posted this last night. I must have bee tired and didn't hit enter

Our daughter is a 911 dispatcher. This is a major issue today, please send petition to your Congressmen today

Here is the background. Please help

On behalf of the thousands of 9-1-1 professionals serving the public in every community in America, the National Emergency Number Association (NENA) is deeply disappointed that the federal government intends to continue classifying Public Safety Telecommunicators as "Office and Administrative Support” workers, rather than as the critical public safety professionals that they are.

On Friday, July 22, the White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB) published a federal committee’s recommendations for revising the Standard Occupational Classification (SOC), under which Public Safety Telecommunicators are inappropriately designated as office workers. In doing so, the committee ignored material differences between the work of public safety and commercial "dispatchers,” including the unique training and demanding standards required of 9-1-1 professionals.

"The men and women of 9-1-1 do so much more than just answer the phone,” said Brian Fontes, CEO of NENA. "They guide callers through life-saving procedures, provide advice on how to handle dangerous situations, and provide critical backup to field responders, all while under great stress and pressure.”

"In short, 9-1-1 call takers are first responders. Unfortunately, the committee’s work relegates them to second-class status. It disregards the complex, life-saving nature of their work, and it could deprive 9-1-1 centers of access to federal homeland security grants needed for upgrades to Next-Generation 9-1-1 technology.”

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-31-2016 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: we do not support petitions of any kind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 05:08 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I thought that I posted this last night. I must have bee tired and didn't hit enter

Our daughter is a 911 dispatcher. This is a major issue today, please send petition to your Congressmen today

Here is the background. Please help

On behalf of the thousands of 9-1-1 professionals serving the public in every community in America, the National Emergency Number Association (NENA) is deeply disappointed that the federal government intends to continue classifying Public Safety Telecommunicators as "Office and Administrative Support” workers, rather than as the critical public safety professionals that they are.

On Friday, July 22, the White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB) published a federal committee’s recommendations for revising the Standard Occupational Classification (SOC), under which Public Safety Telecommunicators are inappropriately designated as office workers. In doing so, the committee ignored material differences between the work of public safety and commercial "dispatchers,” including the unique training and demanding standards required of 9-1-1 professionals.

"The men and women of 9-1-1 do so much more than just answer the phone,” said Brian Fontes, CEO of NENA. "They guide callers through life-saving procedures, provide advice on how to handle dangerous situations, and provide critical backup to field responders, all while under great stress and pressure.”

"In short, 9-1-1 call takers are first responders. Unfortunately, the committee’s work relegates them to second-class status. It disregards the complex, life-saving nature of their work, and it could deprive 9-1-1 centers of access to federal homeland security grants needed for upgrades to Next-Generation 9-1-1 technology.”
" relegates them to second-class status." How?

If they believe they are doing a worthwhile job (and believe they are), isn't self satisfaction in doing so BETTER then what someone else thinks?

Do YOU worry about what others think of you? I don't.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-31-2016 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 08-29-2016, 05:21 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
What a bunch of whiners.
Why does it matter how the fed's Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) classifies a city or county job?
The SOC doesn't affect my job satisfaction or pay.

The SOC classifications WILL NOT hold back funds to upgrade 911 centers.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:26 PM

Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) System

"The 2010 Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) system is used by Federal statistical agencies to classify workers into occupational categories for the purpose of collecting, calculating, or disseminating data."

911 Operators DO have their own classification:

http://www.bls.gov/soc/2010/soc435031.htm

43-5031 Police, Fire, and Ambulance Dispatchers
Operate radio, telephone, or computer equipment at emergency response centers. Receive reports from the public of crimes, disturbances, fires, and medical or police emergencies. Relay information to law enforcement and emergency response personnel. May maintain contact with caller until responders arrive.
Illustrative examples: Police Radio Dispatcher, Emergency Operator, 911 Operator

Broad Occupation: 43-5030 Dispatchers

http://www.bls.gov/soc/2010/soc435030.htm

43-5030 Dispatchers
This broad occupation includes the following two detailed occupations:
43-5031 Police, Fire, and Ambulance Dispatchers
43-5032 Dispatchers, Except Police, Fire, and Ambulance

Old 08-30-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" relegates them to second-class status." How?

If they believe they are doing a worthwhile job (and believe they are), isn't self satisfaction in doing so BETTER then what someone else thinks?

Do YOU worry about what others think of you? I don't.
Do you want 911 calls going to the Philippines or wherever they outsource the jobs? Do you want someone on the other line who doesn't know the area or the individual police? Do you believe that outsourcing can save your life?

This change in status can lead to this

Old 08-30-2016, 10:31 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Do you want 911 calls going to the Philippines or wherever they outsource the jobs? Do you want someone on the other line who doesn't know the area or the individual police? Do you believe that outsourcing can save your life?

i rather doubt it.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:42 PM

Quote:
There is no change in status.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:25 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Do you want 911 calls going to the Philippines or wherever they outsource the jobs?
Yes, I do. They can spend money they save elsewhere.

Salamat.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, I do. They can spend money they save elsewhere.

Salamat.
I give, another sick response. You reap what you sow. Live with it

Old 09-01-2016, 02:57 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
im confused
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies