Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 07:51 AM

52,681 posts, read 47,928,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
From the WaPo -

"Obama just doesn't like to fake it. If he doesn't want to do something or thinks it's stupid to do it — regardless of whether it actually is stupid — he won't do it."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ding/#comments

There you go. And this from one of the better reporters at the WaPo.
Obama is just not interested. And even if he were, then he'd just pretend to care and just go through the motions. He just disgusts me to no end. I will be glad when that creep is finally out of office.

Quote:
I can't believe the excuses the media comes up with for Obama. Can you imagine any of the WaPo reporters trying to spin this excuse for GWB?
Liberals are all about excuses. I see through the press so much that nothing surprises me anymore.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:59 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,560,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Now he is going.

Gee, I wonder what changed? Kind of like the Queen of England after the British people turned on the royal family after Diana's death. The old bat went outside Buckingham Palace and started talking to the "people". She was advised you better take some action.

Yes, he has to bring race into it. Always stirring the pot.
Reminds me that Obama struggled with the courageous and hard decision to raid the bin Laden compound for months, only to time it so it could be announced during the finale of Trump's reality show. Had to wait for the right moment.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:02 AM

52,681 posts, read 47,928,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Hurting communities want their pain to be acknowledged and reassured that help is on the way, that people understand they are having a hard time. They really need that consistently through the crisis and during the after math. Their governor is doing that, but they need more. They expect that the government will do its job and send aid. Laura Bush was called the "comforter in chief" because she reached out after 9-11. The people are helping each other just like they always do in a time of crisis--race not mattering at all--they just need to be acknowledged and reassured.

Maybe the President and First Lady could take a picture with a sign that says something like "hang in there LA" and put it on Facebook. If that's too repulsive for them to do since LA is not exactly in their political camp, maybe they could send someone--like they sent Sharpton and Holder to Ferguson--even if it's just a press secretary or intern. If no one wants to go, since it is LA after all, maybe they could ask for volunteers.
I'll put it to you like this: At least Donald Trump took the time to go and assess the damage and go visit the people. That's compassion. That's what caring about fellow Americans is all about. Obama does not practice that sort of thing, and neither do members of his party.

And while government's not the real answer to everything, at least someone has taken time out to remind everybody that we must not forget about our neighbors in a time of crisis.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:55 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times
Obama is in Luisiana because it would serve no purpose. Floods happen in places at or below sea level. We really should think twice about rebuilding in such places. I am no Obama fan, but it would serve no purpose for him to be there. I am certain that he has aides, assistants, and FEMA at his disposal.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:25 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
From the WaPo -

"Obama just doesn't like to fake it. If he doesn't want to do something or thinks it's stupid to do it — regardless of whether it actually is stupid — he won't do it."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ding/#comments

There you go. And this from one of the better reporters at the WaPo.
"The I-can't-believe-he-is-on-vacation-while-terrible-news-event-happens narrative is neither new nor unique to Obama. George W. Bush was regularly pilloried by his political opponents for extended vacations at his ranch in Crawford, Tex. (Bush once took a five-week break during the summer of 2005.)'

The MAIN difference is that ALL of Bush's "vacations" were "working" vacations.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:28 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Presidents don't have to be at every disaster. A president being there is a dog and pony show. Besides, sometimes, if not all the time, the logistics of a presidential visit during, or in the aftermath of, a disaster takes resources away from the efforts of the emergency agencies helping those affected by it.

[stay home]
I agree but, THAT is NOT the issue.

Obama attacked Bush for NOT going which means he SHOULD have gone.

Then Obama does NOT go.

Hypocrite comes to mind.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:46 AM

27,118 posts, read 15,295,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Presidents don't just show up in the midst of a natural disaster. It's up to the Givernor to extend an invitation when Police resources can be spared to deal with the it and once thee state has conducted an assessment.

Christie invited Obama to see the mess left by Sandy in NJ about 9-10!days after the storm. Conservative medis immediately called it a publicity stunt intended to outshine Romney.

If I recall Bush 2 was criticized for a fly over Katrina instead of a touch down despite the Governor had not yet invited him and Bush respected this.

Trump and Pence made a spontaneous pit stop in their private jets this morning and spent 1 minute passing boxes of play dough to score some points.

As I understand it, the Governor has extended an invitation and Obama intends to visit on Tuesday.

What Louisiana needs and want is money, not politicians using the disaster as a photo op.

Yeah, Obama being the lead criticizer.

What a twist on fate this turned out to be, Obama, a victim of his own criticism.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:32 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,734,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I heard an interview with the governor of Louisiana asking President Obama to stay away for a few weeks because the security requirements for a Presidential visit would hinder the rescue and recovery efforts. The Donald will be visiting because it will be a great publicity stunt no matter what it costs the victims of the flooding.
Such a BS excuse. Obama came to Staten Island 4 blocks from where I live after Sandy DEVASTATED my neighborhood. Where were the he will hinder recovery efforts there? It should be clear to everyone know when Obama is on vacation and out of the country he dosn't want to be bothered. He stayed in Cuba after the San Bernadino terrorist attack. Why would he cut his trip short for just a little rain.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:34 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"The I-can't-believe-he-is-on-vacation-while-terrible-news-event-happens narrative is neither new nor unique to Obama. George W. Bush was regularly pilloried by his political opponents for extended vacations at his ranch in Crawford, Tex. (Bush once took a five-week break during the summer of 2005.)'

The MAIN difference is that ALL of Bush's "vacations" were "working" vacations.
Not a fan of either one, but Bush took three times as many vacation days as Obama.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:34 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,443,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Such a BS excuse. Obama came to Staten Island 4 blocks from where I live after Sandy DEVASTATED my neighborhood. Where were the he will hinder recovery efforts there? It should be clear to everyone know when Obama is on vacation and out of the country he dosn't want to be bothered. He stayed in Cuba after the San Bernadino terrorist attack. Why would he cut his trip short for just a little rain.
Then I guess your beef is really with the governor of Louisiana. Go ask him why he asked him to hold off on showing up.

Also, Obama showing up for a photo op does nothing for anyone. Obama getting the gears turning so that resources mobilize and disaster relief kicks up full steam does, and that is what he's already done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies