Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 12:45 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,734,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Then I guess your beef is really with the governor of Louisiana. Go ask him why he asked him to hold off on showing up.

Also, Obama showing up for a photo op does nothing for anyone. Obama getting the gears turning so that resources mobilize and disaster relief kicks up full steam does, and that is what he's already done.
Since when does the President of the United States take orders from a Governor? If Obama wanted to be there he could. He doesn't want to go.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:06 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,704,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
From the WaPo -

"Obama just doesn't like to fake it. If he doesn't want to do something or thinks it's stupid to do it — regardless of whether it actually is stupid — he won't do it."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ding/#comments

There you go. And this from one of the better reporters at the WaPo.
LOL

Old 08-20-2016, 04:19 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
This is a guy who stopped his vacation to orate "Trayvon could have been my son!"
The dude injects himself into every race related incident he can get into! The floods have no race or divisive value... besides Louisianians vote red, so he REALLY doesn't give a crap.

Seriously, this is ridiculous.
And, let's not forget that he's in the final months of his second term as President. He's not running for any thing in this coming election, and after being President, I doubt he'll ever be running for any elected office again. Now that he's "free" of being in campaign mode (for personal reasons anyway), we'll find out what he really thinks about things.

I do think the 16 page treatise he fired off to the people in the flooding rescue effort, including explicit instructions "not to engage in unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, or national origin (including limited English proficiency)", was at best a snarky, and totally uncalled for pot shot from the "ivory tower" at those with actual boots on the ground working round the clock to help the victims out. Can you say "tone deaf" ??? Not to mention incredibly stupid, uncalled for, counter productive and insulting.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:09 PM

35,681 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Govs call-- the money n help has been approved - sad -but more to come all over. It's toooo hot. More - tornadoes -fires -floods and maybe hurricanes. Keeping eyes open - in Fl

Old 08-20-2016, 06:36 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
And, let's not forget that he's in the final months of his second term as President. He's not running for any thing in this coming election, and after being President, I doubt he'll ever be running for any elected office again. Now that he's "free" of being in campaign mode (for personal reasons anyway), we'll find out what he really thinks about things.

I do think the 16 page treatise he fired off to the people in the flooding rescue effort, including explicit instructions "not to engage in unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, or national origin (including limited English proficiency)", was at best a snarky, and totally uncalled for pot shot from the "ivory tower" at those with actual boots on the ground working round the clock to help the victims out. Can you say "tone deaf" ??? Not to mention incredibly stupid, uncalled for, counter productive and insulting.
Yep!

Old 08-20-2016, 07:20 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I heard an interview with the governor of Louisiana asking President Obama to stay away for a few weeks because the security requirements for a Presidential visit would hinder the rescue and recovery efforts. The Donald will be visiting because it will be a great publicity stunt no matter what it costs the victims of the flooding.
This.

Look, I'm not an Obama fan, but I don't see any reason the president needs to physically show up at places like this. Especially when doing so might hinder the more important relief efforts bc of all the security and other nonsense that precedes and accompanies his visits.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:25 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
From the WaPo -

"Obama just doesn't like to fake it. If he doesn't want to do something or thinks it's stupid to do it — regardless of whether it actually is stupid — he won't do it."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ding/#comments

There you go. And this from one of the better reporters at the WaPo.
He's so genuine and sincere and honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I heard an interview with the governor of Louisiana asking President Obama to stay away for a few weeks because the security requirements for a Presidential visit would hinder the rescue and recovery efforts. The Donald will be visiting because it will be a great publicity stunt no matter what it costs the victims of the flooding.
Nonsense. Trump told all reporters to stay away. He was NOT seeking publicity and it's disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:47 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
There's lots to read and mull over about this story but the simple truth is the media and all you libs bashed the hell out of Bush while giving Obama a free pass. It's all lies and bs from you people.

You cover for Obama no matter what he does, doesn't do or lies about.

Media predictably treats Bush, Obama differently on Louisiana disasters | Washington Examiner

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-21-2016 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 08-21-2016, 12:24 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
There's lots to read and mull over about this story but the simple truth is the media and all you libs bashed the hell out of Bush while giving Obama a free pass. It's all lies and bs from you people.

You cover for Obama no matter what he does, doesn't do or lies about.

Media predictably treats Bush, Obama differently on Louisiana disasters | Washington Examiner
I very specifically did not bash Bush for it. In fact, I would have the same criticism for those folks then, as I do today. Your response so far is "You did it to Bush, so its OK now". And the answer is no. It wasn't OK then, even your response indicates you didn't think it was.....but suddenly now it is OK? Or is it that you just want two wrongs to make a right?

Old 08-21-2016, 01:08 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,837 times
It's incredibly hypocritical for Obama to have so roundly criticized Bush for less than what he is doing now. He obviously doesn't care but at least the press should call him on it.

My brother lost everything in his house and both his cars to the flood, my sister's house flooded, and my nephew lost everything in the flood. My brother's disdainful of Obama and wishes he weren't coming, just send whatever help you're going to provide. My sister and brother-in-law are Obama supporters so I'm sure they're glad he's coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies