Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 08:02 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I'm still not sure the email thing is as big as many want it to be.
It's a big deal when it's top secret or classified information.
A Look at Federal Cases on Handling Classified Information | Military.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
He was tried in civilian court, he is not in the military.

He knew, and should be punished, but the punishment was way disproportionate to the crime. My opinion I know, but as someone who was in the submarine force, and did have first hand knowledge of people who broke security protocols, this was way more severe punishment than what people would get for such a thing.

I wish I could find the details, what it should come down to, and normally does is the contents of the photos. That would usually weigh on the severity on the punishment. Someone can take photos, but it can be of declassified items that are accessible to the public. The photo in itself would be breaking the rules, but the content would not have "damaged" US national security, which is what confidential means. For example, if there was a pic of maneuvering, him taking the pic would violate security, but a pic of maneuvering for an SSN is available online.
Sailor who mishandled classified info cites Clinton, seeks leniency - News - Stripes
and even more info on this
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/us-se...-submarine-and
Looks like he was being tried by a civilian court because it falls under National Security. Also between the date of the 2nd article and the ones from this past week, he was "awaiting an administrative separation board proceeding." So he got kicked out of the military and is going to jail. <-------Proof that it does happen.

Hillary should not be above the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 08:54 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
We shouldn't have politicians that are too big to jail.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:49 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
We shouldn't have politicians that are too big to jail.

No politician should be above the law, not even the President!

Old 08-22-2016, 05:53 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I'm still not sure the email thing is as big as many want it to be. I fail to understand how her "charity" isn't being investigated. To me that seems so much worse then the whole email thing.

Keep in mind, I will probably end up voting for her, but thats just because I still think she would do a better job then Trump.

Anyways....the sailor got what he deserved.

Stay tuned until November...

Word is that nice Mr. Assange will tie it all together before the election.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:57 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
No politician should be above the law, not even the President!
But they are. That's real life.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:59 AM

57,232 posts, read 26,172,300 times
He should have known better, taking pictures in a nuclear submarine or many federal secure facilities is a violation.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:08 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
The FBI prosecutor did not want to be the first person in history to throw major criminal charges at a Democrat nominee for President.

He outlined her guilt then ignored it.

Too big to charge basically.

It has also come out that supposedly there were so many other people involved in leaks (maybe Obama himself) that the prosecutor was unable to act out of fear of putting the whole country into turmoil.
That is why he laid out all Hillary's lies and illegal deeds before he said he chose to not prosecute.

The prosecutor choose to tell everyone she is crooked and to let the people judge her at the ballot box.

So no way anyone can really use the Hillary defense.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:51 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
This guy should count his blessings. If he had taken pictures of Hitliary's classified emails, the Clinton International Crime Syndicate would have staged his suicide.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:05 AM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
He was tried in civilian court, he is not in the military.

He knew, and should be punished, but the punishment was way disproportionate to the crime. My opinion I know, but as someone who was in the submarine force, and did have first hand knowledge of people who broke security protocols, this was way more severe punishment than what people would get for such a thing.

I wish I could find the details, what it should come down to, and normally does is the contents of the photos. That would usually weigh on the severity on the punishment. Someone can take photos, but it can be of declassified items that are accessible to the public. The photo in itself would be breaking the rules, but the content would not have "damaged" US national security, which is what confidential means. For example, if there was a pic of maneuvering, him taking the pic would violate security, but a pic of maneuvering for an SSN is available online.

This is what the sailor photographed:

Quote:
On at least three separate dates in 2009, Saucier used the camera on his personal cellphone to take photographs of classified spaces, instruments and equipment of the USS Alexandria, documenting the major technical components of the submarine’s propulsion system.

On Jan. 19, 2009, Saucier took two photos, one of the auxiliary steam plant panel and the other of the reactor compartment viewed through a portal. On March 22, 2009, Saucier took two photos that, when placed side by side, provided a panoramic array of the maneuvering compartment, the room from which the propulsion system of the boat is operated. On July 15, 2009, Saucier took two photos documenting the reactor head configuration of the nuclear reactor and a view of the reactor compartment from within that compartment.
But this is what sunk him:

Quote:
Following that interview and in an effort to impede the federal investigation, Saucier returned to his home and immediately destroyed a laptop computer, a personal camera and the camera’s memory card. Pieces of a laptop computer were subsequently found in the woods on a property in Connecticut owned by a member of Saucier’s family.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/us-se...-submarine-and

"Impede the federal investigation" is what sent him to jail (See: Martha Stewart).

Old 08-22-2016, 07:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Stupid is as stupid does. Suck it up cupcake. Do the time and walk away. Too bad you screwed up a decent career in the nuclear power industry.

The real irony of this is the big secret of the Nuclear Navy was made public in 1956. That secret was a uranium fission reactor could be made small enough to fit on a submarine. Recreating that is a matter of engineering and development. Oh, and lots and lots of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies