U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 04:27 PM

24,473 posts, read 16,478,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
the point wasn't the word used. the point of the post was Great Society and other social programs and how is that working out for you. From where I sit, they have done little good for anyone but the politicians.
The point is; Bent Bow said the point was supposed to be the Great Society in the title of this mess, but once inside the thread, it wasn't about the Great Society at all. It was about LBJ's use of a derogatory word. I called it obfuscation, a polite term for deliberately intending to confuse, not to clarify or discuss honestly.

It's a troll's favorite tool, according to a lot of people's definition of a troll. Other folks call it playing cute. Still others call it throwing out a red herring. Lately, it's called click bait a lot.

You can tag it anyway you want.

Since I'm a white westerner, there wasn't much about the Great Society that affected me one way or the other. I live in a state that's 91% white.

If you want a better answer than mine, which I doubt, I think you you should ask someone who WAS affected.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 05:56 PM

8,654 posts, read 5,362,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Sounds familiar for the last 50 years.
Whites receive the largest percentage of food stamps and the elderly use a ton of benefits as well. I don't get your point.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:16 PM

9,517 posts, read 13,452,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Whites receive the largest percentage of food stamps and the elderly use a ton of benefits as well. I don't get your point.
Point is whites don't riot and play the victim.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:23 PM

9,315 posts, read 4,987,953 times
You are statistically lying. Since the government provides us with all sorts of statistics, the truth is easy to find. It is in the percentage of particular racial or ethnic group, who are recipients, that matters. Not a percentage of total benefits. You are no dummy. You know that.

You think a racial group that is 77% of the whole might use a larger percentage of anything versus say a racial group that is only 13% of the whole? You think? Huh?

Fundamentally though it does matter. If folks are dependent on government and they associate a particular party with that dependency, they vote for....that particular party.

Dependence is dependence.
Quote:

Old 08-21-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Point is whites don't riot and play the victim.
Yes they do. Go to youtube and type in whites rioting.. Intelligent people don't believe your misinformation.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
You are statistically lying. Since the government provides us with all sorts of statistics, the truth is easy to find. It is in the percentage of particular racial or ethnic group, who are recipients, that matters. Not a percentage of total benefits. You are no dummy. You know that.

You think a racial group that is 77% of the whole might use a larger percentage of anything versus say a racial group that is only 13% of the whole? You think? Huh?

Fundamentally though it does matter. If folks are dependent on government and they associate a particular party with that dependency, they vote for....that particular party.

Dependence is dependence.
I was very clear in what I said. I stated a fact. You can twist numbers all day long to try and paint a picture but nothing you can say will refute this fact. People like you love to speak about how things are today but you always fail to state the reasons why...

Old 08-21-2016, 07:34 PM

24,783 posts, read 13,016,345 times
Quote:
Yes they do. Go to youtube and type in whites rioting.. Intelligent people don't believe your misinformation.
Mainly soccer fans.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:40 PM

410 posts, read 223,871 times
Quote:
Nope.

The politics and demographics of food stamp recipients | Pew Research Center

Old 08-21-2016, 07:52 PM

Sorry, I'll get my information from the us department of agriculture. I didn't mention all time but even that data seems shaky. There is one group that is the all time leading oppressors in the history of the modern world so there is a reason the people that were disenfranchised, undervalued and robbed for centuries might have needed a little helping hand. The perpetrators of the Maafa have no leg to stand on when speaking on the past...

This is recent data pulled directly from the SNAP program itself... So it's not NOPE, it's YES... Thank you very much..

Old 08-21-2016, 08:28 PM

10,681 posts, read 10,341,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Straight from the horses mouth.

"These ni**erss, they're getting pretty uppity these days and that's a problem for us since they've got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we've got to do something about this, we've got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference... I'll have them ni**ers voting Democratic for the next two hundred years". - Lyndon B. Johnson,

How is is working out for ya?
Johnson got the Civil Rights Act of 1964 passed. He than secured passage of the Voting Rights Act of 1965. He obtained passage of the Fair Housing Act of 1968.

Funny how instead of dealing with substantive accomplishments, you instead want to pull a statement or two out of some obscure historical record. In fact, you don't actually cite the source at all.

I don't have any use for conservatives who want to reject an accomplished legislative record that did more for the cause of civil rights than every Republican president put together accomplished after Abraham Lincoln.

Trump didn't know what he was talking about the other day. Problems certainly exist in the African American community, but to portray the whole community as a "basket case" the way he did is both erroneous and insulting. For example, 59% of black teenagers are not unemployed. The number is closer to 19%.

Go on with your polemics. Anyone with an eighth grade education can see through them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or