Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 11:51 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,985,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Welcome to Sodom and Gomorrah, folks. The Bible foretold these things.
I wonder what action of our leaders will break the last seal mentioned in revelations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 01:10 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,047 times
Outside of freshman, which despite containing "man" is a gender-neutral term, why do you non-PC types insist on gendered terms when they are unnecessary? For example, it makes more sense to generically refer to the police as "police officers" rather than "policemen" because there are women police officers as well. Same with "cleaning staff" versus "cleaning lady."

Much ado about (mostly) nothing.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:16 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times
They are correct in removing the word "man" in any sense it is used because when all there are there are biatches why would any man want to go there?

I bet women would hesitate as well because so far, not many want to be associated with biatches either.

Man is often used to refer to species, not gender. I know, lets use "human" because man isn't part of that word.

See how PC this gets? When was the last time someone referred to a man working in a cleaning service as a "cleaning lady"?

What the PC crowd doesn't understand is that the perception of some harm when using any term a problem they have because they accept it.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:31 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,239 times
It doesn't really bother me either way.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:06 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
The famed Ivy League institution rolled out a series of gender-neutral terms aimed at removing the word “man” and other male-leaning language from official school material.

As first reported Thursday by the conservative campus news outfit The College Fix, Princeton’s Human Resources and Office of Communications issued a four-page memo filled with examples of gender-neutral terminology that must now be used in official school documents, such as:

The word “actress” should be replaced by “actor.”
A “cameraman” must now be called a “camera operator.”
There will be no more references to a “cleaning lady,” but instead an “office cleaner.”
New students are no longer “freshmen” but rather “first-year students.”
A “mailman” no longer delivers letters or packages, because that’s the work now of a “mail carrier,” “letter carrier” or “postal worker.”
Nothing is to ever be done for the betterment of “mankind” but instead for “humanity,” “human kind” or simply “people.”
A “waiter” or “waitress” will no longer dish out grub, as that’s now the work of a “server.”
An “average man” is now an “average person” or “ordinary person.”

PC at its finest.

Princeton begins to remove 'man' from official school material | Fox News
Well answer absurdity with silliness. Write a long letter stating your disapproval. Use the word "man" as many times as possible while remaining coherent.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:10 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,196,312 times
The insane and stupid are in control of education. We're [censored].

Old 08-20-2016, 02:10 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
And the band plays on ... Looney tunes .... over and over.

But what about the "man" portion of "woman"? Should we now refer to woman as wo's?

Mass mental illness. That's the only explanation for this idiocy.

I'd really like to know who finds the term "man" as so offensive that it must not be used? Pretty soon, we will no longer have words to use, and we will simply have to grunt and groan at each other like cavemen ... errr .. "cave-person". LOL.

Womyn. I'm not kidding. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Not all of us are that kind of crazy, but I have seen it. I prefer chick.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:30 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times
Man, that really pizzes me off. Look man, stop being the man. Man-up and get rid of the PC at Princeton where man created an educational facility instead of a bunch of MAN-ic depressed people who have MANifested into little more than MANiacs.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:41 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
The famed Ivy League institution rolled out a series of gender-neutral terms aimed at removing the word “man” and other male-leaning language from official school material.

As first reported Thursday by the conservative campus news outfit The College Fix, Princeton’s Human Resources and Office of Communications issued a four-page memo filled with examples of gender-neutral terminology that must now be used in official school documents, such as:

The word “actress” should be replaced by “actor.”
A “cameraman” must now be called a “camera operator.”
There will be no more references to a “cleaning lady,” but instead an “office cleaner.”
New students are no longer “freshmen” but rather “first-year students.”
A “mailman” no longer delivers letters or packages, because that’s the work now of a “mail carrier,” “letter carrier” or “postal worker.”
Nothing is to ever be done for the betterment of “mankind” but instead for “humanity,” “human kind” or simply “people.”
A “waiter” or “waitress” will no longer dish out grub, as that’s now the work of a “server.”
An “average man” is now an “average person” or “ordinary person.”

PC at its finest.

Princeton begins to remove 'man' from official school material | Fox News
Are people really concerned about this? Also, you do realize that a few of the examples you mentioned renamed female-leaning language, right?

Old 08-20-2016, 03:59 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,239 times
In all seriousness, those that disapprove strongly about this should indeed write letters to Princeton. However. It would only be effective if you're an alum and regularly donate though. Princeton doesn't have an obligation to cater to others. I'm sure if the students and alumni were outraged by it, they wouldn't make the change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies