Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2016, 09:41 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am glad nobody is saying he is mentally ill.
I never thought about the "mentally ill" part. But you pose a good point. When Dylann Roof did his dirt, there were people trying to consider if he had mental health issues. I would basically say this. He knew what he was doing. He went into a church, shot alot of people who couldn't fight back. He admitted he hated Blacks and wanted to start a race war. His reasons were right there for all to see. No amount of mental illness, just alot of hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 09:56 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I never thought about the "mentally ill" part. But you pose a good point. When Dylann Roof did his dirt, there were people trying to consider if he had mental health issues. I would basically say this. He knew what he was doing. He went into a church, shot alot of people who couldn't fight back. He admitted he hated Blacks and wanted to start a race war. His reasons were right there for all to see. No amount of mental illness, just alot of hate.
The Key to remember about mental illness is that it IS NOT a legal defense like insanity is.

If a person is found to be insane, they are NOT GUILTY of the offense. If a person is mentally ill they ARE GUILTY of the offense BUT will almost certainly receive a lesser punishment at sentencing. The burden is on the defendant to plead insanity as a defense and prove insanity. In order to find a defendant guilty but mentally ill, the defendant must present some form of evidence as to mental health, the court cannot make a finding in a vacuum. As a practical matter, the defendant has usually put on an insanity defense but has failed to prove it up.

Any lawyers will tell you insanity defense is hard to prove in court.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:03 AM

23,551 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Scary, you never know what can happen these days in public.

Biracial couple stabbed for kissing - CNN.com
As obama says, 'we may never know his motives'

Old 08-21-2016, 10:12 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Does anyone feel completely safe around people wih neck tattoos?

ABSOLUTELY!!!!! I dont always agree but my grands all into the sleeve tats and some go up the neck- has NOTHING to do with their character -- more hate coming from ---

Old 08-21-2016, 10:13 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguars010 View Post
the guy was an admitted trump supporter

nah who said? nah can't be someone twisted words in his mouth after some heavy meds--

Old 08-21-2016, 10:17 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
You don't have to be a died in the wool white supremacist to feel a bit uncomfortable when seeing whites (especially white females) flirt in public with blacks or other non whites. Not too long ago, up until 1967, miscegenation was illegal in 16 states stretching as far north as Delaware. California did not repeal its anti-miscegenation law until 1948.

Older whites like me are still getting used to the new reality of very wide spread interracial dating and marriage. The younger generations for the most part are very accepting of the new reality. But I can't help thinking that this behavior is being actively encouraged by certain elements who see whites as intractably racist.

The linked commercial ran on Fox News today. What do you think?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AYjw/bertoll...stir-things-up
That's your own problem if you feel uncomfortable with interracial dating. It's 2016 by the way, try to keep up.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
You don't have to be a died in the wool white supremacist to feel a bit uncomfortable when seeing whites (especially white females) flirt in public with blacks or other non whites. Not too long ago, up until 1967, miscegenation was illegal in 16 states stretching as far north as Delaware. California did not repeal its anti-miscegenation law until 1948.

Older whites like me are still getting used to the new reality of very wide spread interracial dating and marriage. The younger generations for the most part are very accepting of the new reality. But I can't help thinking that this behavior is being actively encouraged by certain elements who see whites as intractably racist.

The linked commercial ran on Fox News today. What do you think?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AYjw/bertoll...stir-things-up
I don't think there is right or wrong feeling. If you feel uncomfortable, then you are entitled to your feeling or your opinion. I doubt you will ever date a person outside your race, and that is perfectly okay. This doesn't make you a racist or a bigot.

This said,

I doubt anybody can really control whom they are attracted to. I was born in 1985, majority of my own friends still date within their own race due to physical attraction.

My boyfriend's older sisters dated black guys, and one sister had two mixed children. Needless to say, his dad didn't like it very much because the guy happened to be a deadbeat. I have many white friends who told me they have problems with pretty white women dating outside their race, but if the white women are big fat cows (their words, not mine), then they have no problem with it.

People say crazy things and I have no doubts in my mind that a lot of people have mixed feelings about interracial marriage. Many have no problems with other people dating outside their race, but if it is their own children, their reaction will be completely different.

Bottom line for me is that, society has changed, like you said. I think this is still a free country, there will be people dating outside their own race, there will be people dating within their race, This kind of diversity is acceptable in my eyes.

Live and let live.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:39 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The Key to remember about mental illness is that it IS NOT a legal defense like insanity is.

If a person is found to be insane, they are NOT GUILTY of the offense. If a person is mentally ill they ARE GUILTY of the offense BUT will almost certainly receive a lesser punishment at sentencing. The burden is on the defendant to plead insanity as a defense and prove insanity. In order to find a defendant guilty but mentally ill, the defendant must present some form of evidence as to mental health, the court cannot make a finding in a vacuum. As a practical matter, the defendant has usually put on an insanity defense but has failed to prove it up.

Any lawyers will tell you insanity defense is hard to prove in court.
Insanity and mental illness are two different things in the legal sense, as well as the medical sense. What I was speaking of was the persons who might try to make excuses for such abhorrent behavior.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Insanity and mental illness are two different things in the legal sense, as well as the medical sense. What I was speaking of was the persons who might try to make excuses for such abhorrent behavior.
I agree with you.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:04 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Most people are still a little put off seeing Blacks and Whites in a physical relationship...

With no stats to back this up, I am vehemently waving the BS flag on that claim.

If you have data, let's see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies