Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 09:49 AM

1,188 posts, read 959,399 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about this recently. The average person in Western society is going to live to be 80+. That's a pretty long time, especially considering that the majority of it will be spent beyond your prime years of health, employability, mental ability, etc. No wonder we see people trying to delay adulthood, relive their "glory years", etc. In summary, what I see is an epidemic of lonely, confused people in their 30s, 40s and 50s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 10:08 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
I've been thinking about this recently. The average person in Western society is going to live to be 80+. That's a pretty long time, especially considering that the majority of it will be spent beyond your prime years of health, employability, mental ability, etc. No wonder we see people trying to delay adulthood, relive their "glory years", etc. In summary, what I see is an epidemic of lonely, confused people in their 30s, 40s and 50s.
It's too long in the sense that it is unprecedented and our social institutions are not keeping up with it.

But I doubt that it has anything to do with loneliness and confusion. Whether your life is long or short, existential questions will always have to be dealt with, and I think a society where people are mostly seen as consumers does a really poor job of preparing people for facing those questions.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
I've been thinking
ok, yes, good.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:39 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
I have a grandmother in law who is in her mid 90s. She said she didn't really start to "feel" old until she was about 73 years old.

Not sure that I understand the OP. Are you saying that older people are immature or that younger people are old people in younger bodies.

Confusing.

I will state though that I have a quite a few older relatives. Most of the women in my family live well into their 80s and 90s. My 2nd great grandmother lived to be 105 years old. I have a female cousin who is 100 years old this year. I expect to live at least to 80 and past that even if I don't stay in relatively good health.

All my oldest relatives are female. I do have a male older cousin (first cousin of my grandmother) who is 91. They all say that getting older is not all that bad but also not all that great either. My grandmother in law has outlived all her biological children. My 100 year old cousin is the last of her generation left in our family on that side. My 91 year old cousin and my 86 year old great aunt are the last of their generation. All have said it is lonely not having any of your friends anymore, everyone is dead. It is sad to have to bury your children and nieces/nephews. It is lonely not having anyone in your age group anymore and especially your siblings dying.

That could make people lonely IMO. Luckily our family doesn't have a history of dementia or alzheimers and all of my relatives aged 75 and above all have good mental capacities. But they also said dealing with being old is interesting since your mind doesn't feel old. You don't realize your physical limitations until you try to get up too fast lol.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:45 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
This is not politically correct, but I think everyone above 50 should be able to obtain euthanasia if they wish, no questions asked.

Hell, I think anyone over 18 should have the right, but that'll never happen. 50, however, is reasonable. That's when quality of life, healthwise, declines. That's when a lot of people lose their spouses, get laid off and can't find another job, etc.

It'd save a lot of misery and money, because unfortunately, humanity has focused mainly on living longer rather than on living better.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:50 AM

45,233 posts, read 26,457,645 times
dont worry, single payer will help with any longevity issues

Old 08-19-2016, 11:45 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
The government would like it if we all died about age 60. Any volunteers? Probably not.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:59 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
This is not politically correct, but I think everyone above 50 should be able to obtain euthanasia if they wish, no questions asked.

Hell, I think anyone over 18 should have the right, but that'll never happen. 50, however, is reasonable. That's when quality of life, healthwise, declines. That's when a lot of people lose their spouses, get laid off and can't find another job, etc.

It'd save a lot of misery and money, because unfortunately, humanity has focused mainly on living longer rather than on living better.

I agree, we should be able to take that pill when we want to check out. I'm 78 and in very good health except for a MESS from a hip replacement which has been a huge set back in my life. My mind is sharp and I'm never sick. I do take supplements for 25+ yrs.

I've had some "dark days thinking" over the last 6 yrs with this hip mess but I'm feeling better lately. Seeing a doctor of Osteopathy and he's keeping me walking better. He does some interesting work to move the body.

My folks lived into 90's and my dad was so ready but he finally died at 95+. He was lonely and everyone in his life was GONE. Mom at 90 wanted to hang on but she did finally go at 91.

I have a bridge friend who will be 95 and she runs circles around me. She never had joint surgery.

Surgeries are traumas to the body in many many ways.

Keeping an open mind and using the mind is HUGE.

My money may run out before I run out.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:08 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,278,689 times
I can only speak for myself. I'm about 42. I could probably make it to 95 without much trouble, considering my genes. But I plan to exit at 75, *before* I have any major health problems (my parents are 74 and 72 with only minor stuff). There are several reasons for this but I won't delineate them [again] here.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:17 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times
Quote:
Although I agree that people living past 90 is questionable as most are not capable of enjoying life (especially males) and need assisted living, you are quite over the top when you speak of 30's,40's and 50's. I mean CMON. . These are life's best years and a 55 year old can be as healthy as a 30 year old if he/she takes care of themselves. The slide SEEMS to start at 70 for most and the period from 70-90 all depends on how bad that slide is for the individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies