Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 02:16 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
You're the first person who has suggested that aging is a scam on the system. "taxpayers" like you pay for your own medicare (should you need it) and if you don't it goes into a pool for others. Let's review economics 101 for just you. Insurance works because many pay into it and some use more than others. The balance comes from high utilizers and low utilizers. Medicare is a single payer system with controls on cost not utilization. Now, allow me while acknowledging your pre judging people who age (everyone in the world) with their use of this insurance . The principle of substitution in economic terms posits that if a person wants a hamburger there are myriad of choices. If a person wants a car again, many choices. However with a bad gall bladder (potentially life threatening) there is not a substitute for the choice. One must go to a hospital and see a doctor, and while there are many hospitals and many more doctors the treatment mostly is identical and life saving. Built into the principle is equity. It would be unfair and against good mortality to force a a person with a hot gall bladder to go say to a chemist, or an acupuncturist. One must see a doctor or potentially suffer greatly and die.

So back to your "argument" which is really just an opinion and an uneducated one at that. You state that medicare recipients use far more and as such should be forced to pay or forced off the program. That would be like taking people away from doctors and letting them die horrible deaths....and you state that they are taking your hard earned (assumed) money to do it. You further suggest that by getting older and qualifying for medicare people are "scamming" the system. Ma Foie. (translation = My god man are you so silly that you cannot see the lack of logic as it pales my heart). Well sort of translation.

In any case, you really should quit shouting at the television and do some reading. To your point about the Poor and medicaid. Yet another principle of morality is to help those who cannot help themselves. So while medicaid does this in principle, the ACA has forced reimbursements so low that many (and I do mean a lot) of doctors and now insurance plans won't accept it. Medicaid reimbursements have followed suit with many refusing to accept it. (Try finding an endodontist). So the spirit of MEAN added to your own position (let em pay for it) for the elderly but interestingly not for the people who can't work forces combination and few if any people now actually can 1)obtain and 2) afford the deductible and copay which drive the ACA.

Now the piece de resistance suggesting that while I work in healthcare, I oppose prevention. Again when you return from Mars please do me the favor of creating a cohesive argument.

One can "prevent" all day long. Most illness and disease is idiopathic. (not idiot it means acquired through family history) that you can eat wheatgrass all you want if dad and mom had heart trouble you are going to have heart trouble and will need a doctor. Lifestyle changes sure but actually preventing? Maybe 10% of all changes except drugs to lower cholesterol and antidepressants have shown little effect on inherited disease. So while you suggest that the ACA helps prevention your idea is 1) poorly thought out and 2) not accurate as the ACA deductible won't pay for the actual tests (MRI or CT Angiography) which would reveal heart disease. Want to go for a cardiologist appointment? You have not met your deductible and you'll pay 40% on average of the $500.00 bill. Try that on in your "prevention" diet.

All taken your positions typically contain less than noble ideas, selfish suggestions and few if any accurate comments. Your positions do contain diatribe about the system being scammed by old people, empathy for people who are poor and other somewhat poorly researched thoughts and ideas.

The ACA is a failure. It doesn't pay for people who long have worked hard and it transfers their money to people who could not, would not and who chose not to work. In addition the deductibles for the working people who earn >80k a year combined with the co pays make it unaffordable. Now the real gut punch is that Aetna Untied and other large insurers simply won't take it. Go figure.

Please think out your arguments as writing this much before I go to the ER to keep a few people alive and kicking delays my morning coffee. You recall the scene on Dirty Harry (the bank robbery while he's trying to get a hot dog down?)

I feel the same way.
She's not educable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 05:18 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
She's not educable.
That appears to be accurate.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:17 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
She's not educable.
Another "Give me my Medicare! Gimme, gimme!" Right wingers sure do get greedy when it comes to Medicare, suddenly government health coverage is delicious. They sure don't mind taking my tax dollars.

Quote:
Got to you finally I see. Are you always this intrusive? I would think that you must spend a lot of time alone. Either way, again I sugget that you speak with a professional.
Because I read your posts and see the continual hypocrisy? You are constantly complain about those "takers" but you yourself don't pay your taxes, find ways to get massive amounts of health coverage you don't pay for, hate Obamacare because they don't pay for it when they are actually buying policies on exchanges but you have no problem dipping your hand deep into my wallet to get massive health coverage for yourself and you are clearly very expensive to cover to the tune of $8-$10K every other month. The aspect of Obamacare you really hate is apparently the Medicaid expansion (because the others pay for policies) but you don't seem to mind if seniors get that Medicaid expansion. Your whole premise seems to be you want us to pay for your coverage while pointing to everyone else as "takers". Yes, the hypocrisy is impossible to miss. Further, because you cannot defend your position, you resort to personal attacks.

Last edited by Seacove; 08-25-2016 at 06:40 PM..

Old 08-25-2016, 08:33 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Is single payer good for folks who work and have insurance through their employer?

Pros vs. cons on brief for the above?
To answer the question.. Yes.. I'm about as conservative as they come, and I support a single payer system, but not at all like its being done because it cant be paid for.

If they can relieve the stress off employers to provide and pay for these services, then they can focus on actually running the business, while the employees, dont have to be afraid of leaving a company that treats them like crap due to medical benefits.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:39 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,069,270 times
Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/20/up...ttom-well&_r=0

Anyone could have predicted that the signature achievement of "great leader" would implode. Now it is happening with costs through the ceiling and and unmitigated exodus of insurance companies and doctors from accepting the poorly conceived plan.

Thanks Obama. Looks like more time on the 13th hole for you flim flam man.
This can't be right. Obama told me that I could shop online (just like shopping on Kayak) for the best choice for my family. You must be mistaken. Obama said.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:42 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,069,270 times
Quote:
The original intention was to make the president look good and they sold an old car with no clutch to the American people. Now deeply flawed and characteristically un-courageageous he walks off the stage the same way he came in....inexperienced and black 1st and the president 2nd. WPE
Well that can't be right either. Cash for Clunkers got rid of all the old cars with no clutches.

OK I'll stop now.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:28 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Trump is going to repeal Obamacare and replace it with a single-payer system.
But that's exactly what Obama and democrats wanted. Republicans were against it.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:51 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
To answer the question.. Yes.. I'm about as conservative as they come, and I support a single payer system, but not at all like its being done because it cant be paid for.

If they can relieve the stress off employers to provide and pay for these services, then they can focus on actually running the business, while the employees, dont have to be afraid of leaving a company that treats them like crap due to medical benefits.
For these reasons, I think it'd also be very beneficial to Americans' entrepreneurial spirit, as well. More people will be far more inclined to start new businesses without having to gamble their health coverage (by leaving their employer to start their own business) or pay for that of their potential employees.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:11 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,816,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Another "Give me my Medicare! Gimme, gimme!" Right wingers sure do get greedy when it comes to Medicare, suddenly government health coverage is delicious. They sure don't mind taking my tax dollars.
Medicare isn't free for those enrolled in it.

The current Medicare monthly premium is about $121. It is projected to be $149 for 2017. That does not include any additional premiums that someone might pay for a Medigap plan plus the part D drug plan. Or the copays they pay if they opt for an Advantage plan. Of course a person could decide against both the Medigap and Advantage plans and stay with Original Medicare only. But that could possibly involve a huge deductible as well as no limit on the 20% portion that they must pay for all medical bills (since Medicare only pays 80%) which in itself could add up to a considerable sum.

Someone initially enrolling in Medicare and choosing a Medigap+drug plan would probably pay around $3000 a year. Or about $6000 for a couple. On an Advantage plan, likely around $3500 for a couple (if both are in good health). But as you age, the Medigap premiums rapidly go up in Medigap plans and more copays are paid in the Advantage plans. It doesn't take long for a couple to possibly be paying more than $10,000 a year on their medical expenses (not counting drugs). Thats quite a bit to pay if your primary income is social security only (lower income retirees are eligible to enroll in Medicaid as well).

Not exactly a lavish lifestyle for most thats for sure. Would you like to live that life?

Old 08-26-2016, 01:15 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
But that's exactly what Obama and democrats wanted. Republicans were against it.
Wrong.. We didnt get that because DEMOCRATS didnt want it either.. The GOP couldnt stop it if they wanted to..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies