Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 06:36 PM

35,681 posts, read 21,030,020 times

Advertisements

I'm pro Union, sorry not working under one now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 07:14 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
How in the world any working person could be anti union is just the absolute height of ignorance and stupidity. It's only through unions and their collective bargaining power that the vast majority of workers are not just "wage slaves". In the USA where unions have been under attack for almost 40 years that is becoming the reality of the working poor. In Canada the previous anti union conservative government managed in just 9 years to lower the standard of living for the working person significantly. Lucky for us the people rejected them and their support for the 1% over the interests of all the workers in the country. Sure enough unions do have their problems, more so in the USA than here I must say but the anti union workers are totally working against their own interests and are duped by the oligarchy into enriching them even more at the cost of their own standard of living.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:23 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The decline in the American middle class is exactly paralleled by the decline in American union membership. Think about it.

Actually the middle class has been doing a bit better than stagnant. Now the stupid ain't doing so well. Unions profit from good economic conditions. Economic conditions do not improve because of unions. Let's not put the cart before the horse.

But, no, unions are already decimated millions of jobs will not be created by ridding our nation of unions.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:20 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Unions had their place once. Now they need to go the way of the dinosaur.
Well, then, child labor laws; a standard 8-hour day (as opposed to a 16-hour day); a 40-hour work week (as opposed to 60 or 80 hours); lunch breaks; paid vacations; sick leave; pensions; unemployment insurance; employer provided health insurance; worker's compensation; occupational health and safety, and many other benefits we now take for granted need to go the way of the dinosaur, too.

Btw, I am not pro-union; I'm not anti-union. I'm just realistic. Like anything else, there can be abuse of union power, no question. But that doesn't mean we should throw the baby out with the bath water.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:01 PM

1,202 posts, read 641,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Why is he not mentioning labor unions in his campaign?

If all 50 states went right to work and labor unions were abolished, millions of jobs would be created because unions won't hire.

This should be a part of his campaign.
No thanks! Unions are what keep a people's standard of living above the third world status.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:28 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,222,624 times
Exclamation Union Representation is the foundation of Employee's having voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Well, then, child labor laws; a standard 8-hour day (as opposed to a 16-hour day); a 40-hour work week (as opposed to 60 or 80 hours); lunch breaks; paid vacations; sick leave; pensions; unemployment insurance; employer provided health insurance; worker's compensation; occupational health and safety, and many other benefits we now take for granted need to go the way of the dinosaur, too.

Btw, I am not pro-union; I'm not anti-union. I'm just realistic. Like anything else, there can be abuse of union power, no question. But that doesn't mean we should throw the baby out with the bath water.
!!!!! Can't believe the Anti Union Mindset.

Union Representation is the foundation of Employee's having voice - the average employee in a non union environment has no voice.

Truth is, there needs to be a re-emergence as Unions, to be the dominant organization to ensure labor is again respected in America.
The advent of the popularity of the University Degree Status game has been and continues to be the downfall of respect for the employee worker.
The ignorance taught today, that the only important people in a company as being the executives, is the biggest fallacy which has brought down the American Industrial Power which once existed to make this country great.
Any company can function without a CEO, there was a time when a company President was the highest and he was not driven by the Ticker Tape, where as today, the CEO is controlled by the Ticker Tape, the wild speculators on Wall Street and this madness is supported by the Banking Industry and the Attorney's, all of whom profit fortunes simply because of the "Ignorance of CEO's". Company Presidents were once focused on the actual "Operations of a company". The advent of the CEO, who's main duty is to increase stock holders value, has been the cause in decline of product quality, the disappearance of service quality, and has insulted the value of the employee worker in ways which show how a nation destroyed its Industrial Capacity.
The Circle group of the CEO plays to the Ticker Tape, over leveraging companies, selling off components and one of the major disasters is the give away of company stock to these overpaid puppets of Wall Street.

They are void of compassion and when compassion vanishes so does workers rights and worker benefits, so does the quality standards to actually manage and operate a company based on its core manufacture and production of goods and services.

The mis-use of education has turned the degree into a "money chase certification", no longer is it about a specialty to do a good job and make a positive and lasting contribution. They have lost sight of what is the core reason people created an industry and business model. It is to provide a service. Now it is driven by a mad group of over promoted imbeciles who spend an inordinate % of value pushing lobbyist, playing games to thwart the regulatory system of procedures and standards.
Among the worst things is not only the creation of the CEO, but allowing Board of Directors to be from the same small clique group, who push generic agenda, based on information from the speculators who drive and run the stock market.
These are the same people who have no idea why the Stock Market was created. It was to help business stabilize, invest in research and development and promoted "MANAGED Growth", "Managed Expansion", and LONG TERM INVESTORS gained a profit for their supporting investments.
Now, the delusion that a company must break a stock ticker record every 3 months, and take on debt beyond its ability to repay, and buying other companies based on Credit and selling off assets of the target company, and the Mergers and Acquisition focus has been directed toward creating covert styled Monopolies. None of these things have any regard for the employee worker.
Unions made companies think about their actions, made them stay responsible to the core of their business model and protected not just the worker, but the investment the workers made to sustain companies viability and stability.
Most Anti-Union people have been brainwashed by the mindset out of the 1970's of the Degree Riders, who resented any person being paid more then them, because their considered their 4 yr wonder certificate they assumed make them more important than anyone else. They came in created collusive policy, directly set out to destroy the Union scale pay rate, so they could promote increased pay for themselves. They attacked every benefit, so they could give themselves "premier perks", as they cut product quality, destroyed service and ultimately drove out the worker with their outsourcing, so they could claim themselves king of industry and pay themselves at a rate of absurdity. All while they killed communities, destroyed families and insulted the respect people had for the job and industry they worked. Ultimately their destruction led to States financial woe, and contributed to the downfall of public education funding and the cycle of their madness has weakened this nation, through University Trained and Groomed Ignorance.

They have no idea nor concept of a companies responsibility to city, community, state and nation. One thing I'd not be driven to hire above other candidates is an Ivy League Degree Selling Business Certificate Holder to head any company I'd build. If I want leadership, I'd consider with from within the company, or work with State Universities or Local or Regional Colleges where people learn for a different reason, understand how society is interwoven as a interactively supporting entity and do not think they should become instantly wealthy based on being a degree rider looking for a big payday, instead the candidate would need to feel more of a responsibility to be a contributor and do a quality standard of work, which respects the workers and understands the companies responsibility to the community of its employees and the function it has duty to do in serving the customers who make it strong. There would be absolutely no free stock options, unless all employed have the option, bonus would not be greater than 3 months salary of the lowest paid worker, and all employees would have the exact same level of medical insurance, and a fixed dollar amount contributed to Pensions, and if higher employees want to contribute more they can. Anyone for a leadership roles not agreeing to the terms can seek employment elsewhere. No more "King Make Madness" which has Destroyed American Industry. America Should Rebuild Industry On American Soil and Make it Union Based - Take Away the Arrogance which Degree Riders Brought into Business and Do Not Allow it to Keep Destroying Companies.

Secondly, Set Up Employee Stock Ownership Programs, So all employees have a vested Interest in Producing the Best and giveing the best level of work performance. ABSOLUTELY No Free Stocks to Executives.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:45 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times
Look at all the unemployment unions have caused and you'll see why they need to be crushed.

When I lived up north, in the city I lived in, the IBEW chapter there had an 86% unemployment rate.

The plumbers union there had an unemployment rate of 71%.

In right to work states there is almost 0% unemployment.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:58 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Despite my general conservatism, I was a member of a labor union (United Food and Commercial Workers) for eighteen years, and in retrospective, consider the dues well spent.

I worked in a distribution warehouse; most of us had sufficient general economic knowledge to know what our labor was worth in a free economy, but an astute union steward could bring an aggressive junior supervisor back to reality in no time. And it wasn't by accident that a number of stewards later became supervisors.

And there are successful unions today -- but almost always in capital-intensive industries where there is a great deal of investment per worker, such as oil and chemical plants, utilities, and railroads. These industries are also often characterized by greater risks should unsafe behavior cause a serious accident; so the employers pay more, and demand (and get) a better-disciplined work force.

But the problem today is that the most successful unions are in the public sector, where the consumer has no choice but to accept their (usually inferior) "product" -- public school teachers are far and away the worst example.

Such an arrangement is an agreement in restraint of trade -- every bit as much as price-fixing or other monopolistic practices -- and should be outlawed.
Great post! I am a retired 30 year Teamster from trucking and I have watched my union go from supporting the workers of this Country to supporting civil servants. I would still like to know why lawyers need union representation or why bad teachers deserve any protection - what happened to YOU'RE FIRED!

With the coming automation and current immigration policies; business has won this battle and America will never be the same. What is questionable is whether any American will ever again be able to afford the products businesses produce. Perhaps the top one percent of the one percent are picturing a model of where they own everything and they rent to the serfs that toil in their factories? It brings up our past with the time of the Molly Maguires where companies controlled everything and gave the workers little for their work - just another form of slavery. However, unlike secret societies like the Molly Maguires; companies will now have the ability to monitor everything with our new technology. It is evident that our companies already control the media.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:02 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
Quote:
Why is he not mentioning labor unions in his campaign?

If all 50 states went right to work and labor unions were abolished, millions of jobs would be created because unions won't hire.

This should be a part of his campaign.
I think all government unions SHOULD be banned since our taxes and Treasury make them wealthy elites with very high pay and benefits not found in the real world. But I don't think most care about private secular unions bargaining and Trump does want American jobs back which is great for our unions and American workers.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:16 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,222,624 times
Quote:
Look at all the unemployment unions have caused and you'll see why they need to be crushed.

When I lived up north, in the city I lived in, the IBEW chapter there had an 86% unemployment rate.

The plumbers union there had an unemployment rate of 71%.

In right to work states there is almost 0% unemployment.
Look deeper, it was not unions that destroyed that, it was the corporate mentality. Unions don't hire people, companies do. Unions Represent Workers whom are hired by the company.

You got it twisted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies