Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 09:11 AM

474 posts, read 603,060 times

Advertisements

Magnulus: My nephew just returned from Iraq after serving fifteen months there. He is not a crazy kid, nor easily influenced. He is fifty years, old, long time member of Massachusetts National Guard, has two teen aged kids, one in college and earned less at being a soldier than in his private business. And would do it all over again, after knowing Iraqis and the real issues there. One evening, he called to tell me just cooked eight pounds of spaghetti, (we sent over with sauce, garlic, olive oil etc.) and two of his Iraqi friends joined the conversation. " Please tell the American people, they said, that we appreciate all they have done for us. We are brothers, Mohamed and Ahmed, and were employed as traffic controllers in Paris. We gave up our jobs to save our country. They were stealing our daughters, sisters, mothers off the streets, raping and murdering them. We cannot believe that America would send their sons and daughters half way around the world to save us. Thank You." Now, that is the truth I heard. So Obama who never visited the troops, served etc. can't change my mind. I heard it from those who experienced it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 09:49 AM

5,169 posts, read 11,461,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Nobody is spitting in anybody's faces. I don't know how sending people off to die in a pointless war is "supporting" them. I would think preserving their life would be true support, but what do I know, I'm just a godless commie liberal that probably eats babies, right?

The current military industrial complex is a racket that benefits the few at the expense of many. I feel sorry for people who lose loved ones in war, but I'm not going support an unjust, pointless, and illegal war. If Berkley wants to kick out recruiters, more power to them.
just gave you some positive rep.
Agree 100%. My husband was in the military for 13 years. He joined in the early 1980 and got out in 1993. Would he join todays military? No way.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:30 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,317,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly blogger View Post
Magnulus: My nephew just returned from Iraq after serving fifteen months there. He is not a crazy kid, nor easily influenced. He is fifty years, old, long time member of Massachusetts National Guard, has two teen aged kids, one in college and earned less at being a soldier than in his private business. And would do it all over again, after knowing Iraqis and the real issues there. One evening, he called to tell me just cooked eight pounds of spaghetti, (we sent over with sauce, garlic, olive oil etc.) and two of his Iraqi friends joined the conversation. " Please tell the American people, they said, that we appreciate all they have done for us. We are brothers, Mohamed and Ahmed, and were employed as traffic controllers in Paris. We gave up our jobs to save our country. They were stealing our daughters, sisters, mothers off the streets, raping and murdering them. We cannot believe that America would send their sons and daughters half way around the world to save us. Thank You." Now, that is the truth I heard. So Obama who never visited the troops, served etc. can't change my mind. I heard it from those who experienced it.
This post is nothing more than pro war propaganda. It is shameful and insulting to any intelligent American. Why?

As a result of our invasion of their country 1 million plus Iraqis are dead, and millions more have either fled their country or are displaced within it. Basic utilities for Iraqi society are essentially non-functional, the government is essentially a puppet regime wholly out of touch with the vast majority of the population, religious extremism has increased dramatically in what used to be a secular state. Gangsterism and criminality are the rule of the day sending the misery index skyrocketing.

Face it warmongers we ruined their country!! They are not thankful to the US, they HATE us for it.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:54 AM

20,387 posts, read 20,020,089 times
Quote:
Nietzschean Gangsta;2919893]This post is nothing more than pro war propaganda. It is shameful and insulting to any intelligent American
. Why?

A mother offering up her heartfelt feelings is shameful and insulting? Are you that heartless?

Quote:
As a result of our invasion of their country 1 million plus Iraqis are dead,
Rosie o' said it was 600,000. Which is it?

Quote:
Gangsterism and criminality are the rule of the day
You left out "imperialist lackeys" and "running dogs." Those are always good for a laugh.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:54 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,339,280 times
Because of our involvement with "the troops", I have met a number of these Gold Star Mothers. A finer group of people you will NEVER meet! They are passionate, yet, as the video shows, calm and collected in their demeanor.

They are the "best of the best" in my opinion.

We often forget the sacrifices that the families of our men and women serving have made.

And, even in the death of one of our nations finest, again, we often forget the "ultimate" sacrifice of the families too -

If you encounter a member of our military somewhere - anywhere, go up and shake their hands - thank them for their service to our nation. They will appreciate it.

And, thank Mom and Dad also!

Old 02-23-2008, 10:58 AM

20,387 posts, read 20,020,089 times
Quote:
katzenfreund;2919539just gave you some positive rep.
Agree 100%. My husband was in the military for 13 years. He joined in the early 1980 and got out in 1993
[/quote]

Reps to your husband's service. Did he actively participate in any conflict areas?

Quote:
Would he join todays military? No way
Why not?

Were you impressed by the mother's presentation? Especially when juxtaposed againt the Code Pinker's way of presenting themselves.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:05 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,863,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
This post is nothing more than pro war propaganda. It is shameful and insulting to any intelligent American. Why?

As a result of our invasion of their country 1 million plus Iraqis are dead, and millions more have either fled their country or are displaced within it. Basic utilities for Iraqi society are essentially non-functional, the government is essentially a puppet regime wholly out of touch with the vast majority of the population, religious extremism has increased dramatically in what used to be a secular state. Gangsterism and criminality are the rule of the day sending the misery index skyrocketing.

Face it warmongers we ruined their country!! They are not thankful to the US, they HATE us for it.
I would argue that your post is anti-war propaganda, and that you are calling someone a liar.
I hear it brought up again and again about how we are sending troops into harms way described as if the TROOPS are scared little appeasers like the anti-war crowd. I assure you, they are not. Why do you think most military members vote Republican?
I surely am not aware of a "vast majority" that is anti-war, just a lunatic fringe, and some sheeple who do not pay attention to what is going on in the world and just follow what the MSM spoon-feeds them. Like it or not, being the top dog country comes with alot of responsibility. Sometimes it gets ugly. I would most definitely preserve OUR way of life over THEIRS. If we hurt some feelings...so be it.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:57 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,513,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post

Who in the devil have you been listening to? You sound like the MSM. Do you remember how many millions died at the hands of Saddam? Do you know they have the right to vote now? Peace is returning slowly but surely to their country. Why do YOU hate America so much? It's sad.....

Old 02-23-2008, 01:01 PM

7 posts, read 29,464 times
I think Gold Star Mom did a great job with her speech. Even if I would have disagreed with it, she delivered it in a calm, collected way and deserves to be commended.

Maybe the recruiters at Berkley are differet, but the recruiters my husband went to were honest with him and me. I asked a lot of hard questions, and so far every answer given to me was true.

These men and women do not choose which battles they fight or where our nation is fighting a war. They should be praised, not degraded, for choosing to die for their counrty.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:02 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,149,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
Who in the devil have you been listening to? You sound like the MSM. Do you remember how many millions died at the hands of Saddam? Do you know they have the right to vote now? Peace is returning slowly but surely to their country. Why do YOU hate America so much? It's sad.....
Nothing in the quote conveyed hatred for America. Hatred for America's unjust and expensive actions, yes, but not the country. What I find sad is that people blindly think that America's actions should be supported. Um, why do we have brains? I think because we should use them! It is illogical to think that if you criticize America's actions, you are somehow insulting the country. I for one do not sanction murder and torture being done in my name, nor should any other American. You cannot pick and choose what you want from war to tout its success, it must be viewed in its entirety.

But let's go back to our accomplishments there...define this peace that is slowly returning to Iraq. If "peace" is forced upon you from some outside entity, a force that kills thousands of your fellow peaceful countrymen, is that really "peace"? Are a dozen high security FOREIGN military bases on your land a way to instill security for you or control over you? If said foreign invaders told you that you couldn't plant your seeds in your farmland, seeds that had been genetically pure for several thousand years to specifically grow on your land, would you welcome the genetically modified seeds and would you feel right in eating the "alien" crop? Iraq, cradle of civilization and agriculture can not now grow its own food. It has to be American bio-engineered food with far less nutrients and god knows what else in it.

I'll confess that some individual lives may be better now but the country America invaded is not better off, not stronger, not healthier, not wealthier and certainly not more "peaceful".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies