Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 01:22 PM

50,116 posts, read 46,724,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Colored and Negro have been out of the cultural lexicon for several generations. Black and African-American have been in use for decades now. Are you that slow that it takes you more than a few decades to catch up?
So a black person born in the US is an African American but a white person born in Africa that immigrated to the US is just white? Sounds logical, right?

Make up your minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 02:01 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,905,326 times
It can be seen this way...

A black is someone with dark colored skin.

An African American is telling you they are decended from slaves and want to be treated differently.

Don't believe it?

Two black people stand side by side. Which would any sane and reasonable person think is a "black" and which is "African American"?

Now before the woodwork starts to explode with the All African Americans are Black but not all Blacks are African Americans...I answer:

Then wear something so we know what you are since you see a difference and demand certain conditions and understanding because you were descended from slaves.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:20 PM

36,100 posts, read 30,596,879 times
If I must describe a person I will say black, or white or Asian or Hispanic, etc. I dont care what that person would rather me use as a descriptive term.

My mother, who would be 86, always used the term colored. This is what people in her time said. I always responded with "what color were they?". That made her so mad. She eventually started saying black.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:24 PM

If African Americans believe their culture is important and a distinction, then why on earth do African American not respect and see the difference in people they lump together as Whites?

Don't German Americans, Romanian Americans, Italian Americans, French Americans all have different cultures too? Yet, the BLM and many African Americans don't respect those different cultures and instead lump all White appearing people into one group.

"African American" is a farce of the highest order, made up to be used to declare a difference to be used to perpetuate extortion, degrade blacks and keep the next generation in shame.

Last edited by Mack Knife; 08-23-2016 at 02:38 PM..

Old 08-23-2016, 02:28 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,496,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
If I must describe a person I will say black, or white or Asian or Hispanic, etc. I dont care what that person would rather me use as a descriptive term.

My mother, who would be 86, always used the term colored. This is what people in her time said. I always responded with "what color were they?". That made her so mad. She eventually started saying black.
Let's say you are in a hotel and there is a NAACP conference going on. You're at the bar and start talking to a person there and they say they are in town for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People meeting. Would you ask, "What color are you?"

I'm just curious if you treat people of different races differently.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Let's say you are in a hotel and there is a NAACP conference going on. You're at the bar and start talking to a person there and they say they are in town for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People meeting. Would you ask, "What color are you?"

A good question to piggyback on that is:

At the same hotel where the NAACP is going on, are non-blacks treated different than blacks by those in attendance?

It often works both ways, one often acknowledged while the other is most often ignored or explained away as justifiable.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:42 AM

36,100 posts, read 30,596,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Of course not. Why would you even think that.

I said that to my mother because I thought the term colored people was out of date and I often cut up with my mother. Oh wait, you think that's racists. LOL. Banter between a mother and daughter over social changes in the 70's and 80's. Not politically correct enough for you?

But now that you've thought of it I just might to see if anyone still has a sense of humor or if they have the PC stick shoved so far up their arse that they find offense in every utterance.

Quote:
You know, my initial reaction to that question was no (well maybe not my initial reaction) but I believe to some extent we all treat people of different races somewhat differently. Just as we do people of other religions, genders, ages, cultures, geographical locations, economics, intellectual level, etc. Its human nature. That's not to say we treat them in a negative way or that we are racist (treating those of a different race poorly, with violence or feeling superior). I think most people would say no but when someone is different from you it can stir suspicion, fear, curiosity, isolation, awe, envy, inferiority or any number of emotions that must be processed. So yes, I think the more different people are the more awkward or cautions people are subconsciously at least initially.

Now if your asking me if I am a racist because I tried to get my mother to stop saying "colored people" the answer is no.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:41 PM

If everyone is treated the same then multi-cultural diversity is an unworkable idea.

Take a room full of people waiting for something.

The person in charge of handling the called out numbers for the waiting people is blind, they get the number via a two part braile ticket of which someone in the room has the other part. Their part has a printed number.

No one can tell the person is blind, they sit behind an enclosure and wear glasses, they appear just like anyone else.

As numbers are called it so happens that the first come first served rule results in people other than blacks being called first. Since not all people arrived at the same time no one really knows the order in which those before them showed up.

What do you think happened about halfway through the numbers being called?

Old 08-24-2016, 12:43 PM

25,781 posts, read 16,411,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Doesn't need to be born in Africa. It's the correct term, and you WILL use it despite your protestations.

"The blacks."

Don't worry about it.

Just make sure that YOU use the right label.
I got labels that have nothing to do with color. You fit more than one of those LOL

Old 08-24-2016, 12:45 PM

15,068 posts, read 6,128,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No it does not. It refers to any non-white person.

"Black" does tell a person something, it is an official term that the US government uses.
That's what I said. People of color refers to more than people of Africa origin..

Not black tells you nothing about an individual...their culture, religion etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies