Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 02:56 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,674,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Food stamps at an all time high. Long term unemployment still much higher than before the crash. As a percentage of those unemployed 27+ weeks Mar 2006 19% July 2016 24.5%

Yes things are looking peachy.
Yup, suddenly black teenage unemployment is at 5% or better. After eight years of 0bama, democrats claim blacks have never had it so good.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:01 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You have been posting around here for a while. I and other self proclaimed black posters have already told you that the vast majority of black people in America, over 70% are not poverty stricken. Even those in poverty work and are primarily decent people.

A majority of black people now live in the suburbs so they do not deal with poverty or crime and most don't even deal with "bad schools." Both my kids go to the highest rated schools in our area.

It was not "overnight" that this occurred and it did not occur due to liberal policies regarding the "War on Poverty."

It happened because of liberals primarily championing in the 1960s forward the decrease of systematic racism and its negative effect on the lives of black Americans. Once systematic racism decreased, black people were able to educate ourselves in higher numbers, buy homes in better areas and move away from inner cities like whites did post WW2. Blacks started doing it post Vietnam so were behind 25-35 years in this regard compared to white Americans

We are still behind that span IMO and once our poverty levels are cut in half again, we will be similar to the white demographic who has 10% of their demographic living in poverty versus the now 23% of blacks living in poverty.

To characterize all of us as welfare users who are poor and who deal all the time with crime and bad schools is just a complete lie and is based on stereotypes from the 1980s. It shows how much conservatives and the GOP are ignorant regarding the black reality in America IMO. And FWIW, I also believe that white liberals also are ignorant in this regard as they too spout the notion that we are some lowly, inferior demographic always in need of their "help." Black Americans are 30 years past that time period in the 1980s when a lot of focus was on our demographic in the 80s regarding if "Civil Rights did anything" to help us. Now that we are a full generation away from the Civil Rights era we can plainly see that diminshing racism in our country actually DID benefit the black demographic. A lot of positive change has occurred to our demographic during the past 30-40 years because we have been "allowed" to be regular Americans like other demographics and are now able to take advantage of opportunities that we were shut out from prior to 1975.
Good post. I think most white people (myself included) are subtly fed this idea that while individual black people (and families) exist everywhere, that black people (as a group) live in abject poverty and misery either due to racism (liberals) or being lazy, criminal, etc. (conservatives.) The whole idea that black people can be successful, and more often than not fit into society, is not discussed very much. It's really a shame that this thought pattern is so prevalent amongst even well-meaning white folk.

Spending some time with "regular" people of color helped me to see how wrong this viewpoint is.

FYI I hope I'm not being offensive with this post.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:09 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,589,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayleah View Post
Successful black people have always existed even during the height of the civil rights movement. It's inconvenient for Democrats AND Republicans to acknowledge that. For the Democrats they need to be needed, so pulling out the poverty statistics helps the narrative that there is still work to do. For Republicans the "all blacks wants handouts" gives their base someone to blame for their lack of progress. I guess blaming blacks wasn't scary enough though because now they have moved on to Muslims and illegal immigrants.
The "need" for the programs has to be proven otherwise, they have to justify not doing away with them. There is a reason (I suspect) for those programs and it isn't the war on poverty.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:59 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Good post. I think most white people (myself included) are subtly fed this idea that while individual black people (and families) exist everywhere, that black people (as a group) live in abject poverty and misery either due to racism (liberals) or being lazy, criminal, etc. (conservatives.) The whole idea that black people can be successful, and more often than not fit into society, is not discussed very much. It's really a shame that this thought pattern is so prevalent amongst even well-meaning white folk.

Spending some time with "regular" people of color helped me to see how wrong this viewpoint is.

FYI I hope I'm not being offensive with this post.
Not at all.
People talk about black neighborhoods, but they dont know that most black people are not actively looking for neighborhoods that are 50% black or more, the middle class blacks life were the middle class whites live and even then a few predominantly black suburbs manage to spawn. About the only qualification most blacks have when choosing a neighborhood is that it either has a good black barbershop/salon or is more than the national average in percent black. When you think about it any neighborhood that is 15% black is already larger than national average, If you start looking at wealthy black neighborhoods as anywhere blacks are more than 25% (about double the national average) you will see their are a plethora of wealthy "black" neighborhoods.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:05 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 18 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,531,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
No sooner than Trump challenged the black community "what do you have to lose?" the air waves are full of stories how well off, happy and successful blacks are. How dare you say there is poverty and crime in black neighborhoods? Overnight, the war on poverty has been a resounding success. There are interviews after interviews with black small business men and women who all took offense at Trump's message. Of course, prior to this, Clintons would line up losers and downtrodden behind them on the podium and point to them as evidence how much more work needs to be done.
Just like Trump, you argued absolutism, and that is the problem.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:07 PM

148 posts, read 137,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
...and everything in the OP just flew right over your head, didn't it.
It didn't. I was responding to a different comment...I understood perfectly what the OP was saying.

We've BEEN saying it and if it takes Donald Trump saying something stupid to get the word out then - thank you Donald!!

Old 08-24-2016, 04:08 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,587,448 times
Zion Harvey is in the news a lot after throwing

the first pitch last night
in an Orioles game.
In case you weren't aware, Zion is a little black boy who received the
first double hand transplant.

Here's an older article, you'll see his mom.
No articles mention his father.
Feel free to look up today's news on him, its everywhere.

The operation and rehab costs must be well into the millions.

Somehow, I doubt his single mom paid for any of this, and I don't
see many black children in Africa getting double hand transplants,
so you tell me what the problem is about blacks in America.

Go ahead and tell me how they are discriminated against, and how
they aren't taken care of.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
No, the "War on Poverty" which has made no progress for one.
Yet your attemptt to deflect and ignore in a most Clintonesque manner.
How do you know? Because you're still poor?

Work harder.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:17 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Just like Trump, you argued absolutism, and that is the problem.
Yep..That is the playbook that GOP has used for decades..ALL Blacks are on the "Dole".. and never bother to mention the white poor/poverty populations ..Willing to bet the numbers are pretty close. BUT when it comes to crime..ALL blacks have been continually vilified as Thugs..while ignoring White crimes...then of course those silly rich kids who just act out..Awweee..That's just normal ..Geesh..Meanwhile those Rich/elitists with bottomless pockets of their parents who get those Judges to defer to alternate sentencing..meanwhile those "Others" get sent to life in prison or some sort of life ending sentence .. Justice has NOT been applied out equally..thats for sure!!

Old 08-24-2016, 04:32 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,350,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
It's called satire.

You don't see what was meant by that post, and others here?

Those posts were making fun of democrats who, when they want to run for reelection, they over hype the circumstances of blacks, make their communities and people out as never given a break, striving and struggling to climb out of poverty massive, overwhelming poverty, making the case that black lives are so horrible in the US they need to elect democrats in perpetuity to fix the horrible state of black American affairs, etc..

Then Trump comes out and basically says the same thing the dems always say, and suddenly blacks have it so great in the US, hell... I'm surprised we did not see dems call for a blanket repeal of all the affirmative action laws. BLM may as well close down, blacks have so good now, don't 'cha know.
A better explanation is that folks like you and Trump were talking nonsense about the African American community and got called out on it with solid facts and evidence from actual Black people!

You're just now trying to save face and backpedal by calling it "a joke" and "not being serious". Just like when your boy Donald gets called out on his flat out untruths and tries to put a brave face on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies