Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2016, 08:41 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
In my opinion it does as well as probably the majority of other African Americans. You seem to have a very narrow definition of what racism is and isn't. For me I use the textbook meaning which includes, "prejudice and discrimination directed at a person or group because of their race"...
It's humorous, isn't it, the justifications, backpedaling, etc that some people will make insisting that certain behaviors aren't racist. We all know racism when we see or hear it, I don't care what the official definition is. These people change it to their liking so they can smugly say "See, I'm not racist" when the rest of us know that yes, in fact, they are. They're so transparent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 08:42 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Ive never really seen racism in action, in other words, i've never seen an action taken by a person specifically due to another person being of a different race. Ive HEARD racist words be used, but the words that were said didn't actually lead to an action against the person who was getting called the racist word. He or she got called a name, but that's as far as it went and i would say in my life, i've only seen this a couple of times, if that.

So, the cry that there's 'all this racism' in the world, i'm not sure i buy that to the extent its being reported by media, we all know media loves to sell you advertising and get you to watch their program, so if they can concoct a story that has racial overtones, you'll tune in.

You might have it in your head that there's 'all this racism out there' but try and separate what you've seen on television and in print media from real life experiences, what i've 'lived' and what i've seen on tv are two completely different things.

My parents pulled me from public school and enrolled my sister and me in private school when "bussing" was implemented in Richmond, VA in the 1970s.

I attended a Pittsburgh Steelers home game two years ago and the fans were making racist comments to Terrell Suggs of the Baltimore Ravens from the sidelines. There was a black couple sitting a few rows in front of me who looked visibly upset and scared.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:43 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
Racism within itself is not a bad thing. But what you can do as the result of racism makes a lot of difference. Everyone has the right to hate whomever they want. And if they want to feel they are superior to another race, that's fine too. We can't control other people's thoughts and opinions.

Racism becomes a problem when you can use the power of the government to inact your racist worldview. This is why I am against the idea of affirmative action or any specific policies from government set out to protect ethnic groups. All this does is reinforce the idea that these ethnic groups are not capable, and this reduces their overall credibility.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:44 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Not an example of racism.
Yes, it was, I was white and a bunch of black people started beating me up.. I was just walking.. something like the knock out game of today.. I believe if I was black it would have never happened. I was targeted for being white walking in a black neighborhood going to a bus stop.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
In my opinion it does as well as probably the majority of other African Americans. You seem to have a very narrow definition of what racism is and isn't. For me I use the textbook meaning which includes, "prejudice and discrimination directed at a person or group because of their race"...
The textbook definition is the view that you feel that one race is superior to another. Or that you feel that people are morally, intellectually distinct due to race. It's literally a race based view of the world. And in that respect 99% of the population of the world is racist.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Yes, it was, I was white and a bunch of black people started beating me up.. I was just walking.. something like the knock out game of today.. I believe if I was black it would have never happened. I was targeted for being white walking in a black neighborhood going to a bus stop.
It's not. Racism is the view that your race is superior to another. Being targeted because you're "white" is an example of hatred. But again, not liking someone doesn't make you racist. As a racist feels that his genetic stock is superior to another race. Hence your example is not an example of racism, as your story cannot accurately validate this core definition.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:48 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Racism within itself is not a bad thing.
I strongly disagree with this statement. And since your perspective is based on your belief in this statement, I think you are actually doing harm.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I strongly disagree with this statement. And since your perspective is based on your belief in this statement, I think you are actually doing harm.
How is racism within itself a bad thing?

Old 08-23-2016, 08:50 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I've never thought I was all that, or was better than everybody else. But I've said No to men, some times, they thought I rejected them because of their race. (it really has nothing to do with their race.) Being rejected doesn't mean you are not good enough, there are no bad people for you to date, only the wrong one. No need to bring "race" into the romantic relationship, in my humble opinion.

When it comes to attraction there is no racism. It is not racist to date only in your race or only another one, so even if you did reject someone because you were not attracted to their race it is not racism.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:52 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
It's not. Racism is the view that your race is superior to another. Being targeted because you're "white" is an example of hatred. But again, not liking someone doesn't make you racist. As a racist feels that his genetic stock is superior to another race. Hence your example is not an example of racism, as your story cannot accurately validate this core definition.
Racism and superiority are two different things.. Racism is unjustified hate for another because of their race or skin color .

Superiority is in all races. They put people in a class system.. The elites of any color can feel superior to the less fortunate. You are talking about superiority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies