Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2016, 10:17 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Ive never really seen racism in action, in other words, i've never seen an action taken by a person specifically due to another person being of a different race. Ive HEARD racist words be used, but the words that were said didn't actually lead to an action against the person who was getting called the racist word. He or she got called a name, but that's as far as it went and i would say in my life, i've only seen this a couple of times, if that.

So, the cry that there's 'all this racism' in the world, i'm not sure i buy that to the extent its being reported by media, we all know media loves to sell you advertising and get you to watch their program, so if they can concoct a story that has racial overtones, you'll tune in.

You might have it in your head that there's 'all this racism out there' but try and separate what you've seen on television and in print media from real life experiences, what i've 'lived' and what i've seen on tv are two completely different things.

If you are a whitre male, when you fill out a job application there is invariably an equal opportunity/ affirmative action statement at the bottom that describes how others who are not white males will be given preferential treatment over you.

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtoo...ionpolicy.aspx

White males are the only group legally discriminated against because of their race and sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 10:19 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No one is brainwashed in school about whites vs blacks...it's the parents who do that. Personal observation is such BS. We are all Americans no matter what skin color...... and it's not the vast majority as you seem to profess. How old are you
Pure nonsense, I experienced the progressive anti-white propaganda in school. There are plenty of stories about it now. We are not all Americans. Many are anti-American no matter their skin color. No one taught me or any white person I ever known anything non-PC about race, we learned it from observation and experience.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:23 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Pure nonsense, I experienced the progressive anti-white propaganda in school. There are plenty of stories about it. We are not all Americans. Many are anti-American no matter their skin color. No one taught me or any white person I ever known anything non-PC about race, we learned it from observation and experience.
Wow, not nonsense at all. Again I ask how old you are

Old 08-24-2016, 11:59 PM

50,812 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
How am I being "picky." Racsim is specifically about one groups superiority over another group.

From Merriam Webster:
IMO people are being to broad on their view of racism. It has ALWAYS been about perceived superiority/inferiority of one group over another. People choose to act upon those beliefs in various ways, including using "racist" language and also by attributing either positive or negative characteristics/behaviors to a particular group of individuals based soley on race.

However, just because someone says a racist word doesn't automatically make them a racist. For instance, I have a very calm type of personality. People can scream to me in my face and it doesn't bother me, especially not at work. Many times when I have been trying to calm customers/clients when I was younger (I worked at a bank) people would be upset about something they did wrong in their personal lives that caused them to have a negative balance in their account or miss a payment for a vehicle or something and because I didn't do what they wanted me to do (give them an extension or credit/refund) they would get super angry and curse at me and quite a few times I was called a "n*gg*r b**ch" to my face and on the phone. They did that because they were upset I wouldn't do something they wanted me to do for them and to try to get me to have a negative reaction. I'm similar in personality to what Michelle Obama has been endlessly quoted on in regards to her DNC speech "when they go low, we go high." People don't like that and they will seek to but a dent in someone's peace in my experience. I don't let them and they get angry and they lash out. I just called security and told them they had to leave. I don't think they called me that because they felt I was inferior to them. They called me that to make me mad and bring me to their level, as in that instance, I actually was superior to them in a way.
I usually like your posts very much. But do you structure all your discussions based on dictionary definitions? Because that's not really how people talk. You say racism has "ALWAYS been perceived about...", even though a number of posters (and many op ed type pieces) clearly differ with you. Therefore, shall I be picky about your word choice of using "ALWAYS"? Shall I get out my handbook on punctuation and critique that? Or spelling ("soley")?

I rather like this little presentation about the dictionary definition of racism: Why Using the Dictionary Definition of Racism Just Doesn't Work

I care far less about dictionary definitions than I do about what affects people in a negative manner, what affects their achievement, what affects their personal integrity, what affects their lives. Maybe if we were in a courtroom the dictionary definition might matter. But we're not.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:04 AM

50,812 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
I see quite a lot of racism on a regular basis. I do volunteer work that takes me to skilled nursing facilities and assisted living centers. Many of the residents are fairly overt with their racism, either because they are old and just don't care or they may have some diminished mental capacity that damaged their ability to filter their thoughts.

It is common for many of the residents to use the "n" word, complain about interracial relationships or children, especially if they involve younger members of their own family and use outdated words and phrases that most people would consider racist today - many of them refer to certain members of the staff as "negro", "colored", etc.
That's a very interesting post.

When I was young, you called Black people Negroes in order to be polite and respectful. I've adjusted. But I have an old White friend and neighbor who refers to "colored people". She means absolutely no harm and actually volunteers in a homeless shelter where there are quite a few Blacks. In her 80s, she's not being racially insensitive. She's just reflecting her past.

I think we have to differentiate a bit between the "why" of what somebody calls someone else.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:09 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,168 times
Yeah

I used to serve tables, and servers would tip out the hostesses to not seat blacks in their section
so they could make more money. It's pretty messed up, but I get it.

I've also seen a couple of black women in a fast food restaurant in CA attack a white woman for having a black BF. It was super uncomfortable because I almost had to get involved.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:21 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,168 times
Quote:
Because you are projecting your family on to the millions of other white families that never had one concern about race. We were all brainwashed in primary school that whites are bad and non-whites are just like us but victimized by us. We only had our observations of non whites at the school and in the neighborhood and wondered why they acted the way they did or were troublemakers. Now we're literally flooded with nonwhites everywhere from 1.5 million brought in every single year. For the vast, vast majority of whites it's entirely personal observation and experience that forms their views that go against PC.
There is a lot of truth to this. The majority of racism I see in Gen X or millennials isn't something they learned in the home or something that was passed on. It's a product of life experiences. In my experience, the most racist areas I've been to are the most diverse, and the whitest areas are the most tolerant.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:48 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
I've already explained it to you as if it needs explained. American was ~90% western European from it's founding and 350 years until it was purposely starting in 1965 to be made into a non-white majority country. Even though they think they do very few white Americans have any meaningful AmerIndian admixture when they test their DNA. I'm well aware that Spain and Portugal white Europeans colonized latin America but that history and culture is not the US history of British/Germanic. I know there are full Europeans in latin America. The issue is we're not getting just a reasonable number of legal immigration of Europeans from latin American, we're being flooded by ~1 million/year illegal poor, low IQ and higher crime rate mestizos and many thousand more allowed in legally. Then liberals are telling them to be anti-white pro-latino race activist. It's the numbers on top of the quality. You said you grew up in the early 70s and you didn't see the country being demographically and culturally changed?
5th generation (on my mother's side) Texan and born in 1965, so maybe that's where we differ. I'm used to Latino folks and traditions, they've been here longer than my Anglo ancestors. I find your comment about British/Germanic to be...well, odd. The German (and Irish, and Italian) people who arrived in the US in the 1800s were NOT well accepted.

Adding, the AmerIndian admixture comment. I'm well aware of the old "Cherokee Princess" genealogy bull. Those stories are a dime a dozen. I found my very teeny tiny bit of AmerIndian blood quite by accident and it is so far back...my mother, who has passed, didn't even know about it.

Last edited by TXNGL; 08-25-2016 at 03:14 AM..

Old 08-25-2016, 03:08 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
5th generation (on my mother's side) Texan and born in 1965, so maybe that's where we differ. I'm used to Latino folks and traditions, they've been here longer than my Anglo ancestors. I find your comment about British/Germanic to be...well, odd. The German (and Irish, and Italian) people who arrived in the US in the 1800s were NOT well accepted.
I lived in Texas. You're not making much sense here. You don't seem to understand Texas history. It was never originally very populated before the Anglos and was held by Spain for over 150 years and even held by France longer than the 15 years or so Mexico claimed it. It was mostly settled by Anglos, and the Mexicans just drifted back in over the years particular the recent decades. Irish and Germans have been in the US as far back as the 1600s and colonial times. When I say Germanic I was speaking broadly that the British Isle, Dutch, German and much of Scandinavia are Germanic people. Sure people weren't always happy with the surge of Irish in the 1850's and the surge of desperate Eastern and southern Europeans in the late 1880s which was restricted. But now were supposed to be happy with a continuous mass immigration from all corners of the earth primarily from outside of Europe.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:52 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
I lived in Texas. You're not making much sense here. You don't seem to understand Texas history. It was never originally very populated before the Anglos and was held by Spain for over 150 years and even held by France longer than the 15 years or so Mexico claimed it. It was mostly settled by Anglos, and the Mexicans just drifted back in over the years particular the recent decades. Irish and Germans have been in the US as far back as the 1600s and colonial times. When I say Germanic I was speaking broadly that the British Isle, Dutch, German and much of Scandinavia are Germanic people. Sure people weren't always happy with the surge of Irish in the 1850's and the surge of desperate Eastern and southern Europeans in the late 1880s which was restricted. But now were supposed to be happy with a continuous mass immigration from all corners of the earth primarily from outside of Europe.
Ah. Misunderstood your post when you referred to Germanic. I Thought you were speaking of the surge in the 1800s, and let me tell you why. Because I've had this conversation with white supremacists who's ancestors arrived in this country in the 1800s and have no clue that their ancestors were discriminated against terribly.

As for my experience in Texas, it is what it is. I was born and raised here. Growing up in the 60s and 70s in Dallas it wasn't very diverse. It was mostly Anglo, African American, and Mexican American. Things have changed but what hasn't is the fact that there is a Latin American influence here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies