Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2016, 12:54 PM

18,493 posts, read 9,161,666 times

Advertisements

OP:

Yes, right here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Simply because Canada does not have two big populations like US does: a group of people only 14% of overall population but manage to commit 50% of all murders and crimes, and a group of people (30-50 million) who entered US illegally and continue to remain here.

If we take out crimes committed by these two group of people, Canada would look like a war zone compared to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 12:55 PM

776 posts, read 580,687 times
To the OP, if your interested in seeing racism come on down to Central Illinois, there is plenty for all to see. 1. When I was in college I was handed a petition to reinstate slavery, my class mates weren't very happy when I didn't sign it. 2. Had a AM friend that I worked with in a general store that was from Chicago. Had to try explaining that he couldn't work the front counter, not because he couldn't, but the customers where racist. They actually told me they where happy not to have minorities that would steal from them. It was funny because I was autistic and F*** up there change all the time so he would of actually been better. 3. Near the end of my stay I was refused service as a white male by AM clerks at Decatur, large AM popu. 4. Ran out of Walmart in Decatur for being racist, if fact they had a broken electric door and the high pitched sound was killing me. 5. Hispanics ran me out of my last place of resident, "we don't want retards here". Not exactly racism but you get my drift. I hate to be rude but it is all over and in many forms, please tell me where you live so I can move there.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:56 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
It could be because of experience. If I were to tell you that I'm a conservative do you believe you're better than me?
I don't allow any excuses for that. I've had some bad experiences with some Whites and Hispanic persons. I don't think I'm better than them, nor do I look down on them. I judge by the individual. I don't give into looking down on someone because of their race/ethnicity.

And comparing being conservative to being of a race/ethnicity is stupid and disingenuous. You can change your thinking. You can't change what race you area.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:56 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Do you think random strangers treat white and asian people the same? That's the question. In my opinion, they would treat you differently if you were Asian. Obviously there are cavaets and exceptions to this theory. For one, if you live in a majority Asian city like Sunnyvale, California you may not get that "different" of treatment. But the reality is in most cases Asians are treated differently than whites, whether it's better or worse is something I can't answer. My clam is only that you're treated differently. And the way you live your life is largely going to be based on how other people treat you and view you.
How so? Could you be specific?

Old 08-26-2016, 01:02 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Just because my definition of racism is not the same as you or anybody else in this thread, doesn't mean I live in a bubble.

I will give you another example,

I dated a guy from Detroit, Michigan a couple of years ago. His dad never allowed anybody to park their foreign cars in his driveway. He knew I was 1/4 Japanese (I know you dislike the term, but excuse me because I don't have any better ways to describe myself), he had no problems whatsoever telling me in my face that internment camp was 100% justified. He also had no problems whatsoever telling me in my face that he loved me and wish I could marry his son right away.
If you look white, then it doesn't matter if you're 1/4th Japanese. It has zero baring on who you are or how other people see you.

Quote:
The one-drop rule is a sociological and legal principle of racial classification that was historically prominent in the United States asserting that any person with even one ancestor of sub-Saharan-African ancestry ("one drop" of black blood) is considered to be black (Negro in historical terms).

Let's not pretend other races are immune to this one drop rule.
One drop rule is only for black mixed with anything. Other ethnic groups are immune. Mostly because white/asian mixes usually just look white. Where black white mixes generally look more black.

Quote:
I just don't view my ex's dad as a racist. Matter of fact, I think he is one of the most giving, understanding, kind person. The way he treated people has a lot to do with his own political views. I am not pretending to be more worldly. I just don't view a lot of people as true racists. Isn't that really that bad?
I don't think every racist is a bad person. My view is that a racist is someone who believes his ethnic group or other ethnic groups can be superior to another ethnic group. Does that automatically make you a bad person? Of course not. But I don't believe there are bad people. There are just people with a certain mindset who act in bad ways. Like I never considered Hitler a horrible person, just someone with issues, and who let his demons control him. People are of course multi-dimensional. So just because someone believes that whites are superior to blacks, doesn't mean he also worships Satan, and want to kill babies.

I will says such thinking does have an impact to society at large, which I think most people overlook. But I can elaborate on what I feel this impact is at a different time.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:04 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Do you think random strangers treat white and asian people the same? That's the question. In my opinion, they would treat you differently if you were Asian. Obviously there are cavaets and exceptions to this theory. For one, if you live in a majority Asian city like Sunnyvale, California you may not get that "different" of treatment. But the reality is in most cases Asians are treated differently than whites, whether it's better or worse is something I can't answer. My clam is only that you're treated differently. And the way you live your life is largely going to be based on how other people treat you and view you.
So what is the point you are making. You have been accused of being a white conservative male by some posters here because of your different view point. I know you are a black libertarian with interesting views.

This thread is

Have you ever SEEN racism in real life? The key words: YOU and SEEN

If you asked me Have I seen. .. I would say Nope simply because my definition of racism is not the same as yours. But this doesn't mean I think racism does not exist in real life.

You really need to get over yourself.

I never accused of others of being a liar. we all are who we are through experiences.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:05 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
People who think such deplorable things could put them in action, and some cases these days do such things.
I don't think there are bad beliefs, just very flawed people who use bad beliefs as an excuse to make a lot of deplorable actions.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:07 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
If you look white, then it doesn't matter if you're 1/4th Japanese. It has zero baring on who you are or how other people see you.

One drop rule is only for black mixed with anything. Other ethnic groups are immune. Mostly because white/asian mixes usually just look white. Where black white mixes generally look more black.

I don't think every racist is a bad person. My view is that a racist is someone who believes his ethnic group or other ethnic groups can be superior to another ethnic group. Does that automatically make you a bad person? Of course not. But I don't believe there are bad people. There are just people with a certain mindset who act in bad ways. Like I never considered Hitler a horrible person, just someone with issues, and who let his demons control him. People are of course multi-dimensional. So just because someone believes that whites are superior to blacks, doesn't mean he also worships Satan, and want to kill babies.

I will says such thinking does have an impact to society at large, which I think most people overlook. But I can elaborate on what I feel this impact is at a different time.
Again, this thread is

Have YOU SEEN racism in real life? NOT Does racism exist in real life.

My answer is NO to the first question, my answer will be a yes to the second.

Why is it so hard for you to understand.

Different people have different definition of racism. I simply haven't experienced, maybe I will experience one the moment I step out the door today. But so far, I haven't experienced that.

I found it quite annoying that you force others to accept your definition though.

I have to lol at your post here, my definition of racism is quite the same as yours, because I haven't seen anybody who thought their "race" to be superior. THIS DOESN"T mean such people don't exist, I just haven't met one myself. what is wrong with that?

Old 08-26-2016, 01:19 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Absolutely. Asian Americans are composed of many groups with divergent histories. Is a 4th-generation Japanese American in Hawaii going to have the same outlook or experience as a Hmong refugee in Minnesota? There are also wide divergences...you have Asian Americans with very high family incomes (which is skewed by concentrated in states like California and New York, with high costs of living indexes) yet with high poverty rates among certain groups.

There are folks like Yuri Kochiyama who worked as an activist along with Malcolm X, and you have folks like Michelle Malkin who are part of the rightwing contingent.

I think it's a credit that you haven't been too exposed to Asian folks that were too crudely racist, but I've heard pretty bad stuff from Asian folks about black people, lucky you.

And yes, the model minority myth is used as a wedge issue, but it affects Asians too in that it's often used to deny or downplay social or economic problems in Asian communities as well.
I know this as someone who reads about history. A 4th generation Japanese-American from Hawaii might even have a different outlook from another 4th generation Japanese-American from the mainland. It was mainly Americans of Japanese descent from the mainland West Coast who were put in the internment camps. Very few from Hawaii were put there.

And I brought up Hmong for a reason. There are Hmong gangs in places like St Paul,MN, other parts of Minnesota, and Wisconsin.

And cost of living is never really considered. The same is true for Korean-Americans. Many are successful. At the same time, Large numbers of Koreans live in New Jersey, a very expensive state. You made me think of some thing differently now.

I think I know who you are talking about, Yuri Kochiyama. I found out about her when a Google Doodle of her was made. That is when I learned of her work.

I think it is a credit. I have some friends of different Asian backgrounds. Maybe I got lucky. Then again, I live in metro Atlanta. I haven't met many Asians who were crudely racist. I have, however, heard one or two mention that their parents would freak if they brought home a Black guy. Oddly enough, I've run into more Black immigrants who spoke disparagingly of American Blacks.

Something else. I kind of wanted to discuss the other part of what I wrote, the part that was omitted.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:37 PM

8,235 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Call me an idiot, but I think if people were encouraged to be more openly racist, we would have a fraction of the issues we have today. I think the issue now is that racism is so unacceptable that it has mostly been driven underground, and now people are more passive aggressive about it. This leads to new terminology like "microaggressions". The bottomline is that the idea of racism is so subjective and so mallable, that one has to basically define what racism is up front.

This is why we should just make discrimination perfectly legal, and let the chips fall where they may. People who are not racist will prove themselves not to be, and people who are will similarly do the same. But this anti-racist mandate from the top just isn't working out. Political correctness has not made anyone any less racist than they would have been 80 years ago.

The only reason why we may have less hardcore true racist now than we would have had 80 years ago is because people interact with people of other backgrounds more regularly. Voluntarily I may add. And that is really how you eliiminate racism. Sure politicians will never tell you that, because they want you to believe that something as complicated as racism can be wiped out with a pen stroke. But it's up to people not to be racist, and not the government to regulate people's racism.

PC makes things worse. People who are not racist end up becoming resentful of constantly being falsely accused just because they're white. People don't like being told what to do all the time. Someone ends up taking the resentment out on others because of reasons other than racism. Having to walk on eggshells gets tiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies