Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2016, 08:11 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Every action creates a reaction, first thing first. Hence, white racism, naturally, has produced a reaction in blacks. Whites, in turn, then use the natural reaction/consequence (to and of white racism) .....to further justify their racism....and thus the cycle of white racism is self perpetuating because actions will always generate reaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efiW2K8gASM
I still miss Dave Chapelle ... although Key & Peele really hit the spot! Love those guys, incredibly talented & very attractive also even when playing women characters! ( Did I just say that? it is so true! )

Alright so admittedly I was a tad distracted by Mr. Key & Mr. Peele, although I think I get what you're saying here. Here's how I see it, it's sortof like a self-perpetuating vicious cycle. What confuses me most is when folks refer to themselves as being anti-anti-racist, I identify that as a type of sophistry & usually dismiss as nonsensical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 08:28 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You don't get to tell me what I went through is trivial. At this point, I just write off what you have to say as trying to be a "tough guy".
Then it is fortunate that I did not tell you that. I did ask a question and offered my perception of your comment. No "tough" intentions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Somehow, I don't think so. When someone goes through something, and another person accuses that person of being "oversensitive" about it, it says this to me: callousness. It doesn't say to me, "be dismissive about it". It just says said person doesn't care.
I can definitely understand that. While I made no accusation, I instead, posed a question. I was not attempting to communicate callousness, but looking deeper, perhaps that is the root of my thinking.

I have had plenty of comments both negative and positive addressed toward me, dealing in stereotypes, that I simply did not take offense to. i did not because the stereotype either did or did not encompass my actions. As I am content with my actions and decisions; Not since I was young, have I been emotionally hurt that someone expected less or even more of me.
Perhaps there is a callousness in that. Thank you for the food for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I honestly didn't know what he meant so I asked. Personally, in my real life, I listen to what the other person is saying, attempt to understand what is meant & then, I tend to respond in 1 of 2 general ways:

• I may ask further questions to clarify the other person's position or meaning.
  • Respond with my opinion on subject, continue discussing, et cetera.

For me, being dismissive is responding in a way that demonstrates what the other person is saying is unworthy of your consideration, in other words, tends to be disrespectful.

Sometimes it seems one might be better off by saying nothing at all - like the advice some grandparents give to their children, 'if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all'.

Personally, I value your opinions, insights, & when you share your experiences - all of these & more should not be dismissed or disrespected.
No, no intended disrespect. Perhaps dismissive of the level of the emotional response as being unequal to the level of malice in the initial comment being described, however. My analytical side lends itself toward not completely dismissing the validity of stereotypes. That, and I have a tendency to tell a person my thoughts, and decide after further investigation, if their position is worthy of indignation.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
...No, no intended disrespect. Perhaps dismissive of the level of the emotional response as being unequal to the level of malice in the initial comment being described, however. My analytical side lends itself toward not completely dismissing the validity of stereotypes. That, and I have a tendency to tell a person my thoughts, and decide after further investigation, if their position is worthy of indignation.
I think you're being overly sensitive to some constructive criticism, & your comments are rather trivial.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:50 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
I am Asian American who has lived mostly working class areas in suburban New Orleans, suburban Baltimore, and a rural area near Charleston, West Virginia with a very rednecky reputation. Maybe it's because I am very assimilated but I very rarely experienced racism, and a majority of the racist incidents I did experience came from other minorities.

The most racist event in my life was when I was stopped at a red light in downtown Baltimore. I still had my McCain-Palin bumper stickers 2 years after Obama took office. A ghetto woman in a beat up car next to me shouted to me that I should take down the bumper stickers because Obama's president. She went on to way "there's a black man in the White House, black people in charge now, and if you don't like that you can go back to China". Some Asians I've met have insinuated I'm not Asian enough because I prefer American, especially Southern food, country music and things like NASCAR and shooting guns while I can't name a single Asian singer, never watch Asian dramas (or any movies, shows or music that is not in English). Most of these are Asian Americans who grew up in heavily Asian areas though many were also Christian and Republican.

The only racist experience i ever had from a white person was from a 70 year old white woman in Baltimore who called me a foreigner when she thought I cut in front of her in line.

As for witnessing others being racist...well I have two examples. One was an aquaintance who moved to the city of Baltimore from Long Island, NY. He said growing up his parents were very strict about him not using the N word, but that after living in Baltimore (in a "gentrifying" neighborhood) he found it impossible to not use it in private. He told us that living in Baltimore and being around the ghetto people made him racist. But this was just his attitude and there was no evidence that he acted on it.

There was one time when this guy in college in Maryland who claimed he purposely drove into a puddle to splash an illegal immigrant walking by the side of the road. I'm sure he just assumed the guy was illegal because he was Hispanic. That was about it. I don't consider racial jokes made in humor to be that offensive. Many people who are not racist find these jokes funny. I also don't consider displaying the Confederate flag or hating Obama to be racist.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
I think you're being overly sensitive to some constructive criticism, & your comments are rather trivial.
I did not see any constructive criticism, and which point is it that you think is "overly sensitive" and trivial?

I also understand that your remark is simply a puerile rebuttal.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
I did not see any constructive criticism, and which point is it that you think is "overly sensitive" and trivial?

I also understand that your remark is simply a puerile rebuttal.
I'm gonna go with the 'if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all' strategy here. G'night & have a pleasant tomorrow.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:16 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Ive never really seen racism in action, in other words, i've never seen an action taken by a person specifically due to another person being of a different race. Ive HEARD racist words be used, but the words that were said didn't actually lead to an action against the person who was getting called the racist word. He or she got called a name, but that's as far as it went and i would say in my life, i've only seen this a couple of times, if that.

So, the cry that there's 'all this racism' in the world, i'm not sure i buy that to the extent its being reported by media, we all know media loves to sell you advertising and get you to watch their program, so if they can concoct a story that has racial overtones, you'll tune in.

You might have it in your head that there's 'all this racism out there' but try and separate what you've seen on television and in print media from real life experiences, what i've 'lived' and what i've seen on tv are two completely different things.
Yes, I have seen it many times in the workplace. Specifically, in hiring panels where people use names, addressed and/or schools/colleges to exclude African American people from being interviewed for jobs.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I'm gonna go with the 'if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all' strategy here. G'night & have a pleasant tomorrow.
I never believed that motto has any place in a mature discussion.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:08 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I am Asian American who has lived mostly working class areas in suburban New Orleans, suburban Baltimore, and a rural area near Charleston, West Virginia with a very rednecky reputation. Maybe it's because I am very assimilated but I very rarely experienced racism, and a majority of the racist incidents I did experience came from other minorities.

The most racist event in my life was when I was stopped at a red light in downtown Baltimore. I still had my McCain-Palin bumper stickers 2 years after Obama took office. A ghetto woman in a beat up car next to me shouted to me that I should take down the bumper stickers because Obama's president. She went on to way "there's a black man in the White House, black people in charge now, and if you don't like that you can go back to China". Some Asians I've met have insinuated I'm not Asian enough because I prefer American, especially Southern food, country music and things like NASCAR and shooting guns while I can't name a single Asian singer, never watch Asian dramas (or any movies, shows or music that is not in English). Most of these are Asian Americans who grew up in heavily Asian areas though many were also Christian and Republican.

The only racist experience i ever had from a white person was from a 70 year old white woman in Baltimore who called me a foreigner when she thought I cut in front of her in line.

As for witnessing others being racist...well I have two examples. One was an aquaintance who moved to the city of Baltimore from Long Island, NY. He said growing up his parents were very strict about him not using the N word, but that after living in Baltimore (in a "gentrifying" neighborhood) he found it impossible to not use it in private. He told us that living in Baltimore and being around the ghetto people made him racist. But this was just his attitude and there was no evidence that he acted on it.

There was one time when this guy in college in Maryland who claimed he purposely drove into a puddle to splash an illegal immigrant walking by the side of the road. I'm sure he just assumed the guy was illegal because he was Hispanic. That was about it. I don't consider racial jokes made in humor to be that offensive. Many people who are not racist find these jokes funny. I also don't consider displaying the Confederate flag or hating Obama to be racist.
This is what I might gather from your experience. I am not surprised about being made fun of by others of the same ethnicity. It has happened to me.

What I gather is that the police officer in Baltimore, I don't know what to make of that other than she has alot of problems and shouldn't be a police officer.

I am Black American. I've lived in several areas in the USA. I've lived in the South, Southwest, and Pacific Northwest. I spend middle school and high school in a very "redneck" area outside of Atlanta. You could say that I am assimilated into mainstream American culture. I still caught alot of racism. Alot of it from Whites. I got a sizable dose of it from other minorities.

I've been called the "n" word, some kids threatened to "hang me from a rope". Actually, several weeks ago, a few redneck types drove by in their truck and screamed the "N' word at me in public, where alot of people could hear it. I worked in a restaurant where the waiters were Hispanic, with the exception of one or two of them. Some of the waiters made racist comments at me, calling me "monkey" in Spanish and other racist terms. I've also ran into a few Black immigrants who looked down on American Blacks. One woman, a Haitian-American, mentioned that her mother told her "don't date African-Americans".

I have been made fun of by other Black Americans for being "lame" or "nerdy". I remember a few who mocked the way I talked. I also got "you act like a White boy" or "you talk like a White boy" comments from a few White persons. Some of this happened in high school, and some of it happened in college and beyond.

This is something else I gather from my own experiences. Asian-Americans do endure prejudice. I suspect that because Asians are perceived as "the model minority", you didn't endure as much racism. I look at it as a pecking order when it comes to minorities. I have heard women being told "don't bring home a Black guy". I never hear this being said in regards to Asian men or Hispanic men. I feel that in my case, I could be as assimilated as possible, and I am, but it wouldn't matter. I would still experience racism.

Last edited by green_mariner; 09-08-2016 at 10:19 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 10:16 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
I still miss Dave Chapelle ... .
He is incredibly talented and hilarious.

His comedy a black white supremacist, or blind supremacy OMG, super funny!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies