Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2016, 08:12 AM

1,504 posts, read 851,404 times

Advertisements

Back in the early fifties I remember being an immigrant child. I was born in the UK - my parents were Russian immigrants after the world war 2. We settled in a rural area on a little lake just north of Toronto. We spoke Russian in the house as kids...we must have had accents.

Kids would chase my brother home from school and beat him out side the house...we were called every name in the book...told to go back where we came from.

I remember having dinner and a rock would come flying through the window landing on the table. I was an outsider and had to gain respect with the local kids by fighting them one at a time - I never felt like I was truly part of the community.

Oddly- My family were blonde and blue eyed there were no Asian people or black or brown people...we were the target - we were the black people.

To this day I do not relate to being white...I considered Scottish - Irish and British as white...it was the white trash hick culture that persecuted me as a child...I was a foreigner. When I tell people who are black or brown that me as the white of white suffered racism...they do not believe me...they actually think that white privilege was a universal thing. It was not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 08:33 AM

524 posts, read 400,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
Back in the early fifties I remember being an immigrant child. I was born in the UK - my parents were Russian immigrants after the world war 2. We settled in a rural area on a little lake just north of Toronto. We spoke Russian in the house as kids...we must have had accents.

Kids would chase my brother home from school and beat him out side the house...we were called every name in the book...told to go back where we came from.

I remember having dinner and a rock would come flying through the window landing on the table. I was an outsider and had to gain respect with the local kids by fighting them one at a time - I never felt like I was truly part of the community.

Oddly- My family were blonde and blue eyed there were no Asian people or black or brown people...we were the target - we were the black people.

To this day I do not relate to being white...I considered Scottish - Irish and British as white...it was the white trash hick culture that persecuted me as a child...I was a foreigner. When I tell people who are black or brown that me as the white of white suffered racism...they do not believe me...they actually think that white privilege was a universal thing. It was not.
Thank you for sharing your story. I think one of the main problems of American's version of racism is that they have only compare America with America. Most have never been outside of the country or know other's from different places. Most people don't know how great and tolerant of a nation this place really is. Most people don't realize that, for instance, places like Russia, Croatia, etc, are actually made up with people from different ethnicies entirely (even though their violence against each other is mostly sectarian in nature). Most American's believe whites include all people that are not brownish of some sort (with the exception of Asians). Most Americans feel that whites coming over (like my family in the 1800's from Ireland) were whole heartedly accepted because they were "white". This belief couldn't be further from the truth.

On another note, I had a best good friend in the Navy, Shannon. She was dark-skinned, we both were from SC, and we bonded pretty quickly. Shannon would talk about racism that she experienced growing up. For my group of Navy friends, race, sex, whatever was never off the table for a discussion. It was actually pretty great if you ask me. We loved each other and lovingly teased each other about "your people over there" ect. Anyway, we were in Bahrain waiting for a cab to go to the mall during a port visit to pick up some hygiene products at the Haji wal-mart. Shannon went to get in the front seat and the cab driver said, "no, no, California" and pointed at me (blonde hair, blue eyes). I saw the color drain from her face and for the first time, I saw something happen to her that left her speechless. I waited to see what her reaction was. She said, "**** this ignorant *****, lets go to the mall" and got in the backseat and was silent the entire way there. On the way there, the Arab cab driver rolled down his window and yelled, "BLACK INDIAN!!!!" while shaking his fist at another cab driver. After we got out of the cab, and she had time to digest what happened, we all talked about it over a drink and a meal.

Walking away from that, I was hurt because my friend was hurt. I didn't think it was fair, but it was her battle and I followed her lead. No way am I going to pick a fight that she does not want to participate in. After that, I never heard her talk about racism in SC again. I guess after experiencing discrimination there (and I am sure it happened more times than that with all the ME port visits), it puts things in another perspective when looking at things back in the states.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:34 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
I see much more black on white racism than white on black, and yes I've seen it. The left encourages all minority races to stick up for themselves and basically be racist, while the majority race is oppressed.

White males are raised in schools to be emasculated little metrosexuals who go on to complain they can't get dates and women go on to complain about how men aren't men anymore, yet these same women raise men to be this way so they reap what they sow.. then they end up dating black men who haven't been emasculated in the same way.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:35 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
The racist white guy in the restaurant, the racist white guy in another restaurant, the racist white coworker, the racist black coworker and the racist Spanish coworker and the racist Asian coworker.
The Spanish coworker was a kid whose head was so far up his you know what he wasn't worth bothering with. The racist white coworker voted for Obama and was a staunch democrat. Yeah, explain that one if you can. The racist black coworker was just poison to have around, glad she got fired. The racist Asian coworker was just angry at everybody. The white racist at the restaurant , he was angry and blamed blacks for his crappy life. Yeah, he lost his job( for not working a schedule he didn't like) and his wife and that was somehow black peoples fault. he did trash Louis Farrakhan nicely, though. The other guy in the other restaurant was making racist jokes although he didn't seem to be able to differentiate between Spanish and blacks when talking about local crime.
What's the common denominator for racism in all these examples and in real life? Ignorance in not knowing or understanding the people you hate, blaming others for your failures and often times anger issues.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:49 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,225,328 times
Will People actually, read and think in open minded awareness, or seek more denials, deflections and avoidance to investigate, or will they engage only with an obstinate mind averse to consider being open to learn? Regardless if they do or don't, history has recorded all of it, when one looks beyond the fluff and puff, to look at actuality in and of its true reality.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
This is again is written for those who think beyond the surface fictions and understand what is American Democracy and the value of what Equality means to the stability of Democracy - in respect to the American Citizen and All People as Citizens of the world community
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Research if you will:
Links:
President Andrew Johnson
Confederate Mindsets
Antebellum Southern Ideologist

From the point after the assignation of Lincoln and Andrew Johnson tried to give back rights to the Confederate States to continue with similarly reformatted business as usual, they could not bring back the Pre-Civil War Slavery, so they created the institution of black codes (Jim Crow). Southern Confederate Ideologist tried and showed themselves to be "terrorist of unspeakable inhuman conduct", over time found themselves again facing the wrath of the Federal Governance of these United States. Still there are those who remain chasing the winds of the past, lusting for an evil that society has labeled in every aspect an evil that blemished the Constitution and over many decades the Nations has been wiping away the blood stains of such vile from the Constitution and all that it governs. The work continues to this very day, to rinse out the stench of those who defecated upon the legal systems and within our courts of law, with their vile, which infected our laws by the toxins of such evils.

The work continues to push away "The Walls of Hatred" built with Race Hater's mental defecated matter used as "conscience" mortar, in building such walls as barriers against "Civil Equality", "Social Equality", "Economic Equilibrium" and "Democratic Equality in Political Function and Process" .

As time moves forth more and more poor and destitute white's are finally awakening to understand they too, were pawns used as perpetrators in a fight that was unknowing against themselves as well. To this day, many have not figured it out, that they were sacrificed as "street pawns" by the wealth to promote havoc, while the wealthy amassed even greater fortunes, and used those same fortunes to ensure that their Walls of Hatred not only keep out the minorities, but held back any charge of force by the poor and destitute poor whites. The trip reality is, poor and destitute "white women, came to understand this way ahead of the poor and destitute white male". Yet, the poor and destitute white male used not only the laws by the social norms of gender bias to subdue the woman, and then tried to claim and pretend that he was protecting her virtue, at the expense of her spirit of self and individualism to be her own person. She awakened long ahead of the white males awareness, that she too was subjugated to a level, not much higher than that of a slave, except she had the liberty to enjoy the fruits of men's labor, but she was not to be allowed to gain any measure of economic parity with that of the white male.
She soon realized, that the cost of enjoying the fruits of white mans labor, was too high of a price to pay, which resulted to cost her not only a loss of spirit of self and individualism, but she found herself subjugated to his containment acts of trying to cast her as being "his owned object". Therefore no much more than a type of slave herself, that was considered human, only for the sake of the white males appeasing himself, by his claim to afford her not to be relegated to 'heathen or less than human" as long as she played the role of trophy and eager to provide servicing duties unto his desires. If she did so, She could only keep the label of "human" as long as she was subservient unto the demands and submissive to the controls of the white male. If and when she rejected him, she was considered by any name other than woman, or lady, and thus referred to by any dehumanizing label he could find to affix to her existences. In extreme cases, if he cloud not have her, his option was to desecrate her by every means, and if that did not satisfy him, he would take her life as if it meant nothing, if he could not possess her. Yes, love plays its part, but for love to work it takes patience, understanding and communications on level measure of equality respectfulness of each other. But when money has been the matter, anguish will not allow the patience love requires, and resentments go overboard and out of control, and tragedy happens more readily. People must engage to learn of each other on a different paradigm, one of equality of person, as a first step, then work with each other as distinct individuals, male and female, then they have a chance to weather the turbulence of past misguided models, and learn how to transform how they build and maintain relations. The ramification of slave ideology infected far more than people think it did, and the sooner society learns that truth, the quicker we all man and woman, black and white can move on to make a better world, a better society and enjoy better relations. It's a task we must undertake!!! not deny, deflect and avoid and try to skate around it, we have to face it heads up with mind open, to relearn how to live and build unity. This means too, we can't make money and material things the main goal or main focus of our measure of self. Not how much we have, or how much we earn, or what we can lure and entice with it, we must relegate it to a tool for necessity and convenience, not the basis of value as to whom we are as individuals. That is a task, many fear, but won't first admit such a fear. It can't be overcome until it first acknowledged and face, then we can deal with changing the paradigm of how it has infected our perceptions and receptions of each other.

We still see results of that ideological concept as it exist in the morphed stages of itself even today; men killing women, if he can't possess her, men stalking women if his material objects can't attract her, or if his ego cannot lure and dominate her. He will as history has shown, not only kill her, but all of her offspring's.
We wonder today, why do we see so much in the news of men killing women he can't have, and killing the family when he can't dominate them, or if he looses his money and cannot believe that she'd want to be with him if money did not contain and blind her, therefore, he loose any thought of her being with him for loves sake. He has not learned to trust her under the premise of love, because he relied on the tactics of material and monetary lures to catch, hold and control her. Therefore, when the money is gone, him killing her, may well fit within his mental framework more readily than any other thought or concern.

Among the more enlighten ones who were not groomed under such ideology, are those whom have learned that love is the basis, and money is simply a tool of conveniences. He is less driven by the pursuit of money by any and every means. These are the types who can not only love his women as an equal, but aspires to love his kids as individuals, without their being mandated to become money chasers as their primary motive. These types do not produce kids that are bully's, nor do they produce offspring's that engage in any form or sort of rape of women or anything else, These are the types who do not produce offspring's who are obsessed with a domineering mentality, but has a more team working mindset that works hard to build and sustain what it built of unity's building efforts.
These are the types who seek not to usurp the premise of God, but to honor the principles of God's wisdom's, that he may invest himself in being a good and honorable person with regards and good will unto other mankind.

We can see these difference even more clearly today, in the Trump VS Clinton Campaign. We saw the stark contrast in the difference in the RNC VS DNC. They were totally different, with totally different demeanor and different tonality.

Black society has shown compassion and tolerance, and the will to exercise compassion even under the most devastation oppression's and subjugation's, and have held a sense of tolerance to try and pursue equality and democratic values through the use of generalized peaceful protest. If we look back at history, we saw the brutality against peaceful protest even during the March to Selma, We saw the madness of attacks when the pursuit of equality, met with degrading and violent acts at the lunch counters, and we've seen a history from the abuse and misuse within being under slavery, to the repression and suppression of Segregation, and we currently still see the system of economic deprivation, by the systemic programming of seeking slaves of foreign soil, by the multiple decades of Outsourcing, as a means to cut off any pathway for economic uplift and deny any avenue for economic parity with the white male economic standard.
We now are faced with addressing the historical usage of the policing system to restrain and contain and even harm and kill as a deterrent to feeling and having a sense of civil freedom. We've seen the massive system try and cling to profiling by skin tone and economic measurement as a subjugation, interrogations, incarcerations and even death by policing conduct of abusive acts of dehumanizing motives, done to arouse even the sense of one standing for the rights to their own dignity and to be addressed and treated fairly, and have such a stand labeled as an offense punishable by death of unarmed individuals by the historical nature and mindset of policing conduct in the streets of America.

We seen countless black families devastated by poverty, driven apart by the destitution's anguishes, and the diminished means to feed and clothe a family, which has driven many to see hopelessness, and find only avenues of resorting to crimes of many sorts, not only for the sake of survival, but trying to gain the accouterments, with a vain hope to be seen and measured as being one who is regarded as having something, only to be met with more suspicions, even when such things are gained by honest work, skill and productive use of talents.

We see the devastation's of poverty's disasters of living in a system where people compressed into such hopeless and dire situation began to attack and devastate each other, chasing the elusive means to acquire what they think will lift them up and out of such cycles of destitution's madness. We see the rise of gang, to fill a void where nothing of activities offer the accouterments for improved self development, very little offer the accouterments for skill development and limits of avenues to offer the accouterments for talent developments. These are systemic programming designs of what is the "Ghetto", and what became the "destitute "inner cities", when business an industry abandoned these area, under a constructed programming to ensure a level of containment. It also created a manufactured environment, which could readily be used to promote a "denigration of a ethnicity of people" to fit with the long held promotions of such under the black codes (Jim Crow) ideology of social segregation and racial and ethnic containment, by defamation, both manufactured as well as those as a result of conditions which promote an environment of discord and dysfunction, to justify the continuation of "defamation's".

When people come to understand “Slavery” was not just about - working in the fields, picking cotton and being whipped, it was a system which entailed every aspect of whatever it takes to deny the process or right to be seen or treated as a human being!!!!

Many don't want to grasp this understanding, and there is guaranteed to be some who will even claim such truths to be excuses as their form of denial and deflection of fact.

Slavery was a system, that meant to "dehumanize in every way" the history, presence and future of the black American, and the Black race and culture. From the expanse of denial to read and write, the denial of educational gains followed by the brutal act of torture and even death to anyone who made the slightest attempt to be and become educated.
It was a system that by every conceivable means to deny the basics of humanity, with no regard to even remotely consider any aspect of those enslaved as having dignity. This is a system which used every profession to craft fiction to try and purport indifference and inequality, and to promote white supremacy by any and every minute aspect one could imagine and conjure to promote. It went so far as to promote the act of taking hostile acts and brutal repercussions upon and against any black person who dare to look a white person in the eye.

We have many black people who have race anger which we cannot deny nor should we claim to ignore, we must know, they too practice ignorance in the age of today. We must help them learn to get beyond the vile of such ignorance!!!!!
Thankfully, we have many black people who have compassion's and care for full unity as people with full equality for all, they are not unaware of the past, but they have chosen to utilize their awareness to strengthen their resolve to move ahead and live with a self maintained disposition of equality; and they push forward with aims and efforts to build and support the promotions of unity for ALL people.

For any people today not to understand the expanse of the evils of such a system of the past, and still in this day seek to promote a return to such evils. is itself a movement of evil that is against not only everything that support democracy, but it is against the very premise of Gods creation of mankind as all being of gods making as equal in being human beings. We must work together to stamp out such ignorance and evil... and we must do that work everyday in all that we do, and find reasons and seek ways to work together, and support each other as simply human beings.

Black and White who hold racist manner, mentality and demeanor or conduct, must let go, and deal with the reality of treating everyone with respect and equality as individuals, and not feed into any promotion of ignorance.

All people!!!! , Black and White must learn more of the history of this nation, accept and deal with the truths that are historical which can't be erased, but know that we can move on and be thankful for all the progress we have made as a human society of mixed ethnicity and mixed cultures and unite in spirit of good will for all. Then we can TOGETHER, work to dismantle the system of "economic inequity" that has been enacted upon against "The Poor", who is comprised of both black and white and other groups of people. This is not saying any of us should forget the past, but we should remember it that we learn, grow and work hard never to allow a repeat of such evils in America or any place in the world if we can help them to overcome such discord.

THIS includes changing and learning to be better in how we treat women in society, how we regard women and how we MUST learn to respect women as the TRUE HELPMATES God made them to be. Not treat them as object, not act as if we can own them, and seek not to try and dominate them, and we MUST LEARN, Understand and work to assure that at all times she knows that she is seen as being equal in life and equal as a human being in all things in all ways, within marriage and as friends and mates. Women raise the bulk of the children of the world, the more she is treated, seen and acknowledged as equal, the better she can continue to promote and teach equality unto the children.

In my personal sphere, I find white people to be very friendly, courteous and considerate and willing to be of assistance. I often too see, that many white people make good efforts to be nothing like the past history of society, and many simply want to be seen as a good person. This is a reality that many black people must too see and acknowledge. We hear often white people say, "don't judge me by the past", then we as black people must heed and acknowledge that request and work with each person as an individual without any thought of race difference.
I too find, many white people in work and in general society have a great sense of humor, they like to laugh and joke and have fun as simply living people. We as black people have to let go of the frown, (those who have them) and let go of assumptions that someone does not like you because of your skin, and realize someone black or white may simply not like you because of your attitude and conduct as a person. I've lived with women, black, white, and other ethnicities, and they are all the same in the principle sense of wanting to be loved and appreciated- Period !!!!

I think a lot about business, my aims and efforts has been and still is to have business built with black and white equal participation, equal contribution and equal sense and investment of self responsibility. To me, that is how to build a business that is 100% committed to give the best service to everyone without any concept or thought of ethnicity or racial indifference.
When I've supervised groups of people, there is no skin color favoritism, there is equal responsibility unto and for all, and equal help and assistance for and unto all as Individuals. Period. When I speak to groups be it for what ever the purpose of the speaking, it is speaking to all as equals persons. Period.

I will engage the subject of history with any and all, and address the positives and negatives of history and pursue understanding how we can make it better going forward for all. One can't shy away from such discussions, but one must make a commitment to self, to "learn", not hold hostilities or develop grudges of any sort. We all as human beings are living and learning every day that we live. I will not silently support anyone who promote the divisiveness or seek to recreate any element of the past as to racial divisions or delusions of inferior and superior madness. There is a reason the bible says" Seek the Truths and Truths shall set you free"... its likely not meant to be an easy task, it requires work.... first within self and then the work to deal with what is at point of situation or matter. There is no winning and loosing, there is the objective of gaining growth, understanding and embracing truths....

One should too read a few other post
(Especially -The Poor)

THE POOR
Why have so many white and others people discriminated against black?
American History - Policing
Expansions on subject "The Poor"

Last edited by Chance and Change; 10-02-2016 at 11:12 AM..

Old 10-02-2016, 01:46 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post

So why didn't you stay in Russia? Why 60 plus years later you're still here with an enmity to western Europeans? Yeah that's right. You didn't want to really be persecuted by non-Western "whites".

I'll accept your experience as a child with other children as true, although I question how you can conclude their ethnicity. Let me inform you in on a secret. Many, many purely Anglo Americans had the exact same experience in public school back then and to this day and it's being perpetrated by all ethnics and races.

You're under the fallacy that because you're not a NW European white, all privilege and being intolerant is reserved for them. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:08 AM

42 posts, read 176,830 times
Just because a person hasn't seen racism in action doesn't mean it doesn't exist and that the media is spewing propaganda. Racism continues to exist in various forms against various groups of people and/or individuals. Whether or not a person believes it is a totally different issue.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:09 PM

9 posts, read 7,382 times
There was a day where I was walking down the street and a lot of school children were just coming out of the building from across the store and i see a group of kids say something under their breath , calling out to me in a low tone “white a** girl” “too pale”. I wanted to turn around to get a better look at their faces but I just kept on going and ignoring that commentary offense.
Another time my family and I were being invited to a restaurant on a boat near a dock where there were many waves and I wanted to sit at the table , and you know, the usual conversation started with how we were enjoying the coast. And an unfamiliar waitress asks what we all want for our lunch and then she has this expression on her face and as to a surprise of mine - she went back to her manager and I can see the woman whispering in their ear as to something quickly. We all go quiet at the table and a few of our excitements and laughs dies down throughout that minute as the two workers from the restaurant arrive back at the table. She then insists that since we are Russian folks we cannot be in her restaurant and eat . This was unfair because we did not offend them directly in any way. She got angry when my mother tried to explain what the reason could’ve been and ... you know .. us folks got kicked out immediately. Smh

Last edited by MinnieMouse4321; 09-17-2019 at 06:26 PM..

Old 09-17-2019, 06:21 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post

You might have it in your head that there's 'all this racism out there' but try and separate what you've seen on television and in print media from real life experiences, what i've 'lived' and what i've seen on tv are two completely different things.
I could write a book.......

Saw many people not hired because upper class burb biz did not want black salespeople or installers.

Saw Factory only hire black folks for janitor and shipping.

Walked out of the Police station when I was busted for pot....black kid in lockup with me didn't.

Saw MANY white friends and relatives bailed out of arrests that should have cost many years in prison.....with little or no penalties...like 18 months for murder.....

Frankly I didn't see as much racism later in life because there were like 0.5% minorities in the white burbs......

But I would guess that most anywhere that the "races" were in competition for jobs or social status position, there were everyday examples.

You'd have to ask which came first, the racism or the effects of it. The answer to that one is crystal clear.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:31 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
I've seen it against Native American relatives and friends, Mexican relatives and friends, and black friends.

Me? If I had a dollar for every time I was called "honky" or "white bread b----" (that one was popular when I was a kid) I could probably take a pretty nice vacation.

Beyond name calling, I know myself and others have been excluded from social events because of our race. Passed over for jobs, or rental housing, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies