Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2016, 08:25 PM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

So this guy only made a 'mistake' according to his attorney, and shouldn't have to suffer the consequences of his actions for the rest of his life, huh?

Sounds mighty familiar, don't it? Guy rapes woman, people excuse his behavior, and he gets off with a slap on the wrist.

Truly, us as a nation have no moral right to criticize how other countries' treat their women.

High school athlete sentenced to probation for rape charges | Miami Herald

Quote:
But after a judge in Palmer decided last week to continue the case without a finding for two years, on Monday Becker was sentenced to only two years probation, according to MassLive. Additionally, he’s being allowed to serve the probation in Ohio, where he plans to attend college.

“He can now look forward to a productive life without being burdened with the stigma of having to register as a sex offender,” said attorney Thomas Rooke, who represented Becker in court. “The goal of this sentence was not to impede this individual from graduating high school and to go onto the next step of his life, which is a college experience.”

No conviction will appear on Becker’s record if he serves his probation without issue. His probation mandates he remain drug- and alcohol-free, submit to an evaluation for sex offender treatment and stay away from the two 18-year old victims.

“We all made mistakes when we were 17, 18, 19 years old, and we shouldn’t be branded for life with a felony offense and branded a sex offender,” Rooke said. “Putting this kid in jail for two years would have destroyed this kid’s life.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 09:22 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Technically, this is a duplicate thread, however, the other op is written so badly I can't even read it. At least there was a link, so I'm familiar with this case, and IG infuriates me , no end. Rapisgs are a particularly low form of life to me. The hatred that books over whenever I hear of courts coddling them threatens to consume me. The way investigations are handled, which can see already traumatized women drug through the mud, by the people that are supposed to be the "good guys" just fry me.

A special someone in my life was brutally assaulted, and I still deal with the aftermath , every day. I totally believe in REAL justice for rape victims, and seeing stories like this alternates me between red rage and tears. Rapists should dance at the end of a rope. Sometimes, victims can turn the tables. My lady did. But that is small consolation. The nightmares, the anxiety and depression, and people who know about the attack can say the STUPIDEST things.

No cases like this should see the judge disbarred, and be re tried. Or let the victims pick the sentence. This is ridiculous!!

Old 08-23-2016, 09:26 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Duplicate topic.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:02 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Technically, this is a duplicate thread, however, the other op is written so badly I can't even read it. At least there was a link, so I'm familiar with this case, and IG infuriates me , no end. Rapisgs are a particularly low form of life to me. The hatred that books over whenever I hear of courts coddling them threatens to consume me. The way investigations are handled, which can see already traumatized women drug through the mud, by the people that are supposed to be the "good guys" just fry me.

A special someone in my life was brutally assaulted, and I still deal with the aftermath , every day. I totally believe in REAL justice for rape victims, and seeing stories like this alternates me between red rage and tears. Rapists should dance at the end of a rope. Sometimes, victims can turn the tables. My lady did. But that is small consolation. The nightmares, the anxiety and depression, and people who know about the attack can say the STUPIDEST things.

No cases like this should see the judge disbarred, and be re tried. Or let the victims pick the sentence. This is ridiculous!!
I just don't understand this. Two girls and a boy got drunk, went upstairs, hung out on a bed talking and fell asleep together. At some point in the middle of the night the boy copped a feel. Why would you want to compare that to the "brutal assault" suffered by your friend?

Old 08-23-2016, 10:24 PM

8,238 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Well, it is horrible and somewhat expected result. Many cases do not even go to trial. But other countries not only condone the rapist, but they inflict physical punishment on the rape victims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies