Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 09:17 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
My apartment complex, built a couple years ago, does not accept checks for rent, and as of this month no longer accepts direct transfers from a savings/checking account (which is how I had been paying). Now I have to use my credit card or sign up for some 3rd-party payment service that I don't want to sign up for. Very frustrating.

Wow. That is scary, do they charge a fee to use the 3rd party payment service?

I hate government regulations but this kind of stuff is ridiculous and needs to be reigned in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 09:23 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Wow. That is scary, do they charge a fee to use the 3rd party payment service?

I hate government regulations but this kind of stuff is ridiculous and needs to be reigned in.
Its the government that is in favor of it.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:26 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Went to Old Navy last Christmas. They would not take a check. It was Debt, or credit card only. Not even cash.

The majority of places in the Mall are the same way my wife says

A check is not cash. Many retailers refuse to accept checks.

Old Navy accepts cash. Perhaps they had separate registers for cash vs debit/ credit cards and/ or your wife misunderstood.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:28 AM

1,245 posts, read 923,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I hate carrying cash. Absolutely hate it. Unless you are running some kind of scam or drug business accepting only cash. There's no reason to only use cash.

I prefer CC only stores or services, speeds up processing.
That is a ridiculous excuse to hate on cash. Maybe you should find the national geographic documentary called American blackout. See how well your anti-cash attitude goes.
I'm going to post this link too, http://www.survivetheblackout.com/1/

Old 08-29-2016, 09:30 AM

I went to flea markets this weekend, also a small diner (cash only)for breakfast all cash. Then grocery shopping - cash. No credit card for two whole days.

We were talking about how the powers that be would like to get rid of all of this. Maybe the vendor who paid 20.00 for a spot and sold 38.00 worth of stuff might not claim his big profit so put him out of business. And Craigslist? Put that out of business too.

Some people who buy and sell used cars deal in cash, you see this on those tv shows, they drive in with 25K in a bag and drive off with the classic car on the trailer. Its legit business between people yet some want to stop this. The bank does not want to release cash to its own customers.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Its the government that is in favor of it.
Not all of them. Even Obama made the banks make some changes - for instance they cannot keep switching the due dates on credit card bills.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:35 AM

Heard of negative interest banks are using in Europe? Yes, they charge you to hold your money.

Follow the greedy hands.

Negative interest will eventually come to the USA and then you'll not only absorb the cost of using a credit/debit card through prices if good and services but also pay on the back end to even maintain a deposit on account in a bank.

This is not greed in business, it is greed in government because all those transaction fees and negative interest feea are taxed. This ends up being a tax on everyone without requiring a vote or common knowledge.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Not all of them. Even Obama made the banks make some changes - for instance they cannot keep switching the due dates on credit card bills.
You swallowed that?

Old 08-29-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
You swallowed that?
It happened, the cc bill due date for me locked right in, whereas they used to throw a surprise date at me before that passed.

Also regulating mortgage loans, etc., sometimes its got to be done. I think businesses should not be allowed to bully people into auto payments, refusing cash/checks etc. or limiting payment method to something that requires the payer to pay fees or give them access to your bank account. Its extortion and Im not sure why any consumer would defend it.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:49 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Quote:
Heard of negative interest banks are using in Europe? Yes, they charge you to hold your money.

Follow the greedy hands.

Negative interest will eventually come to the USA and then you'll not only absorb the cost of using a credit/debit card through prices if good and services but also pay on the back end to even maintain a deposit on account in a bank.
Yep, it's talked about in the War on Cash article (post #2 in this thread) and I mentioned it in my post (post #28 in this thread).

Last edited by Nepenthe; 08-29-2016 at 10:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies