Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 07:31 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Both parties are working to drive down wages, send American jobs to foreign countries and to reduce the middle class in economic status. But its the democrats under Obama and Hillary who are leading the push to bring in millions of illegals to further drive down wages and to make the lower economic classes completely dependent upon the government for their very survival.
Democrats may be leading the push but Republicans like Ryan are seeing that it gets funded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 07:41 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So there are even fewer choices for those on the low end of the rung.
You can't save everybody. Time to create your own ladder.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:45 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
You can't save everybody. Time to create your own ladder.
A meaningless statement. You don't run a country off fortune cookie ideas.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:27 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
I'm all for criticizing Walmart, but let's look at what you're saying. Tax payer money going to welfare is not the fault of Walmart. They don't decide welfare exists. It is true that a while back, they would tell their employees how to enroll for welfare rather than paying them more. I've heard pretty much everyone and their mother complain about it. Most of them still shop there.

Something worth noting, national minimum wage isn't even $8. That's pretty low. Last year, Walmart employees had a minimum hourly wage of $9. Recently, that's been bumped up to $11.50. Granted, this could be regional, but every Walmart I'm aware of has a starting wage of at least $11.50. Granted, that still only amounts to $23,000 before taxes, but I bring this up because Donald wanting to lower the minimum wage probably won't affect Walmart. In fact, I think it's unlikely to affect most business, except those that are struggling. I don't see McDonalds, Walmart, Starbucks, and whatever other uber chain that provides low quality products for cheap suddenly paying everyone less just because it's legal now.
Starting wage at our local Walmart is $10, or $10.50 on night shift. My stepson started night stocking there a couple months ago. But the starting wage for local fast food places is $7.35 to $8 an hour. Convenience stores start at $10. I think the Walmart wage goes to $11 after 90 days.
3 M company has a factory here, last I knew a production worker there started at $9.50, although most they hire are temps and they can only work 89 days. If they worked longer they would have to give them benefits.

Waitress minimum is $3.85 here. Pizza Hut has been classifying many of their employees as waitresses to pay them less. Even the drivers get waitress wages while they are waiting between deliveries.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:06 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Both parties are working to drive down wages, send American jobs to foreign countries and to reduce the middle class in economic status. But its the democrats under Obama and Hillary who are leading the push to bring in millions of illegals to further drive down wages and to make the lower economic classes completely dependent upon the government for their very survival.
Wait, how does driving down wages send jobs overseas?

I don't like any liberal policies but things at least need to make sense.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:27 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Like almost everything else, choices are those you create for yourself, they are not provided for you.

Working for Walmart is a choice. Even if they are the only employer in town, there are nearly endless choices available for other way to earn a good living.

There will be two types of replies to this idea:

Those that see the opportunity and figure out how to create other choices and;

Those who ask "what other choices could there be" and then start listing reasons why nothing else is possible.

Those in the first group strive for success and often obtain it but at least try.

Those in the second group wait for the first group and then demand the first group give them some.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:36 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Meanwhile, Walmart executives continue to receive huge tax payer subsidized bonuses while paying employees poverty wages. On top of all of this, you have Donald Trump who not only wants to reward Walmart executives through his tax plan, he wants to lower the minimum wage so tax payers will have to give up more. Yet another example of how Republican fiscal policies are not so "conservative" after all.
No its our government inability to create good jobs while making our money worthless ....

Old 08-25-2016, 12:40 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
One of the reasons that I retired and closed my flooring business is that immigrants are installing flooring for less than I made in the 1980s. They live 16 or 18 to a house and so I guess they can live on those wages. Most do horrible work, but apartment owners don't seem to care. Many of the tradespeople can make almost as much working at Walmart as they can at a trade competing with immigrants.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:43 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,887,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Actually, what's costing taxpayers billions in public assistance dollars is having children before one can afford to support them--regardless of whether or where one works.

Illegitimacy is the surest route to poverty.
I agree. Not everybody starts life on equal footing. But along the way you do have opportunities that can affect your life forever.

This is to me what's so impressive with certain immigrants. Especially from East Asia. After the first generation makes the sacrifice, many of their children attain professions, income levels and wealth beyond most people's dreams.

Life in this country is especially about choices. Most of us screw up along the way, however many accomplish their dreams. Personally, I applaud them, I don't condemn them for being successful and having more "stuff" than me.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:17 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
our local shipyard will actually hire you and teach you how to weld on the payroll. so it not all wally world and pizza hut
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies