Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 01:58 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Nobody working at Walmart is a 'slave'. They work there voluntarily for mutually agreed upon pay.

Your wealth envy is showing.
Exactly right, and WM doesn't pay "slave wages" either. They make good money. That's why they stay there. Some I know have been there for many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 01:58 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This is bull. There is no truth here. I have done work for people that work at WM and they make good wages. Further, they like working there. Some have worked there for many years.

Many are married, with a spouse who also works, so they have dual income, and are not on public assistance.
Forbes Welcome

Facts > Anecdotes

Old 08-24-2016, 02:00 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Chelsea Clinton makes over $600k a year. I bet she doesn't nees more than $150k to live well considering her hubby also has an income.

So why hasn't she taken 500k yearly and given it to others as part of wealth redistribution?

Hillary's new buddy and multi billionaire friend Warren Buffet claims to donate his wealth after he dies. Really now, doesn't that mean he wants his now and screw everyone else?

Speaking of Buffet, Hillary's latest billionaire friend acquisition, doesn't he own Forest River, the huge RV manufacturer? He sure does. With all his wealth, couldn't he afford ...

To send a nice RV to everyone displaced in the recent floods in Louisiana? Out of pocket change he could. Not cheap models either, top of the line stuff.

Surely Buffet and Hillary see the need and tremendous burden on the people there and they have the means. It isn't like they couldn't do it.

Ah, but we come back to that choices thing.

Berkshire Motorhomes by Forest River RV

So, what has Hillary and her one of the richest people on the planet done for you lately?

Old 08-24-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Maybe if our welfare benefits weren't so generous, Walmart workers would quit for higher paying jobs and Walmart would have to increase wages to retain workers.

"Government isn't the solution; it's the problem."
This is horse manure too. Nobody enjoys being on welfare. If WM wasn't paying enough they'd look for a higher paying job just to get off welfare. Besides, many are married and their spouse also works. They don't need welfare.

Currently WM pays min. of $10/hr. That's starting. Most are probably well above that, because the employees where we shop have been with the company since it opened many years ago.

I notice that nobody that starts threads like this ever posts any data to back up their claim. They just don't like WM.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:03 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
402 for tax year 2013
You have a souce along with the pay rates for these people?

402 what, exactly? These are friends and family or people they don't know other than they were hired to donsome job?

2013? Really.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:09 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Perhaps so. The thing is though.....if it's a minimum wage hike, all businesses pay that. Online or otherwise.
One of the reasons and probably the biggest reason for Wal-Mart's success was because of their delivery system. They have one of the largest trucking firms in the country and work very closely with their vendors so stock is delivered to the stores "in time", note that's "in time". It comes off the truck and right onto the shelves.

Amazon has stepped that up a notch eliminating many of those brick and mortar jobs.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Forbes Welcome

Facts > Anecdotes
Your article is not fact. It's someone's opinion. I looked up the wages for WM. According to WM they pay $10/hr starting as of Jan 2016. Most employees at the store where we shop have been with the company since opening, so they are well above that.

Further, as I stated, I have known people that work at WM. Wouldn't their word be fact?

Old 08-24-2016, 02:11 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
The irony in this thread is supporting Walmart as an employer also supports free trade as Walmart got where are in large part due to imported goods. i.e. imports are creating jobs.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:13 PM

19,721 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Most beginning jobs in my area pay about $8 an hour. My stepson just started stocking at Walmart at $10.50. Will go to $11.00 after 90 days. He does only get about 38 hours a week.
Minimum at Walmart is $10.00 an hour. McDonalds starts employees at $7.35 an hour and they get about 25 hours a week.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:22 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Meanwhile, Walmart executives continue to receive huge tax payer subsidized bonuses while paying employees poverty wages. On top of all of this, you have Donald Trump who not only wants to reward Walmart executives through his tax plan, he wants to lower the minimum wage so tax payers will have to give up more. Yet another example of how Republican fiscal policies are not so "conservative" after all.
Trying to somehow tie this to Trump with all of Hillary's ties to Walmart?

That wasn't exactly well thought out....or you don't really know much about her.

Granted I hate Trump more but wow....if you think Hillary getting into office means good times for low wage workers you have no clue about her history and track record. She's a corporatist through and through, it's going to be hilarious watching her in office and people like you make excuses while she rams you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies