Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick your stance
FOR universal healthcare, FOR public schooling 39 39.00%
FOR universal healthcare, AGAINST public schooling 2 2.00%
AGAINST universal healthcare, FOR public schooling 22 22.00%
AGAINST universal healthcare, AGAINST public schooling 37 37.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 03:42 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times

Advertisements

I'm the only 1 out of 49 respondents to take the position
that universal healthcare is obviously needed, but would also like to
see the government out of the education racket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 03:45 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Anything government run sucks.
So why do we still have Medicare? I remembered during the infamous town halls that Tea Party people wanted nothing to do with Obamacare but carried signs stating "Keep Your Hands Off MY Medicare."

Old 08-25-2016, 04:35 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Public schools work well only if different classes of people are mixed in neighborhoods.
Nope. While test scores might be more equivalent across schools if all schools contained the same exact distribution of classes of people, that doesn't make schools better in the least. It just dilutes the effects of having higher and lower performing schools.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:37 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
I'm the only 1 out of 49 respondents to take the position
that universal healthcare is obviously needed, but would also like to
see the government out of the education racket.
That train of thought makes absolutely no sense.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:42 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Six to twelve months so some red stater gets sick and runs to a blue state for coverage on the premise that that is where the job has to be? Nope. I would want no less than five years and would prefer ten. Then state exchanges can be based on the true residents of that state and not a bunch of new comers shopping for benefits. If a red stater chooses to live in a state that voted against health coverage for their own state, they should live with the result and not move to suck up benefits in a blue state. After ten years, odds are the situation will have sorted itself out.
So, if someone goes to college out of state....
they have no insurance coverage until they are 31?
That's the problem with what you are proposing....

Old 08-25-2016, 05:50 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
I did address it. I'm surprised you don't see that, but let me break it down to a single sentence for you -

It's a necessary evil, one of the prices of living in a civilized society.
Ok, thanks for being clear (even though I disagree that it's necessary). I very rarely have anyone admit it's wrong. Most people do anything to avoid the topic.

My take is that I won't advocate anything I wouldn't do myself, as I'm sure you've gathered. If it's wrong for one person, it's wrong for every person, even if they're elected, or if the majority "decides" it's okay.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:13 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
So, if someone goes to college out of state....
they have no insurance coverage until they are 31?
That's the problem with what you are proposing....
If they are going to college out of state, they will need to buy a policy during their college years. There is no reason they should get to participate in that state's health coverage unless they remain there for five or ten years. The next thing you know they are bringing their family and the state is covering the whole crew. It's just a way to get around a system. A five or ten year moratorium is perfectly reasonable. Beyond that, I'm fine with universal health coverage by state. I just want to make sure my state only takes care of its own and no newcomers shopping health coverage.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:10 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
For those against universal healthcare -- are you against K-12 public schools?
I voted against both. Here's why...

Government-run Veterans Administration health care. No further comment necessary.

And THIS is where K-12 public schools have gotten us:
Quote:
"This exam, given in 23 countries, assessed the thinking abilities and workplace skills of adults. It focused on literacy, math and technological problem-solving. The goal was to figure out how prepared people are to work in a complex, modern society.

And U.S. millennials performed horribly.

...But surely America’s brightest were on top?

Nope. U.S. millennials with master’s degrees and doctorates did better than their peers in only three countries, Ireland, Poland and Spain.

...The ETS study noted that a decade ago the skill level of American adults was judged mediocre. “Now it is below even that.” So Millennials are falling even further behind."
US Millennials Post Abysmal Scores in Thinking Abilities, Math, Literacy, and Technological Problem-Solving
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...foreign-peers/

Important takeaway: "...a decade ago the skill level of American adults was judged mediocre. Now it is below even that. So Millennials are falling even further behind."

How did the unprecedented further dumbing-down of the millennial generation happen? It's been 50 years in the making, and it was intentional:
Quote:
"While students in the bottom quartile have shown slow but steady improvement since the 1960s, average test scores have nonetheless gone down, primarily because of the performance of those in the top quartile. This "highest cohort of achievers," Rudman writes, has shown "the greatest declines across a variety of subjects as well as across age-level groups." Analysts have also found "a substantial drop among those children in the middle range of achievement"

...The contrast was stark: schools that had "severely declining test scores" had "moved determinedly toward heterogeneous grouping" (that is, mixed students of differing ability levels in the same classes), while the "schools who have maintained good SAT scores" tended "to prefer homogeneous grouping [ability/skill-level grouping, aka tracking]."

If attaining educational excellence is this simple, why have these high-quality schools become so rare? The answer lies in the cultural ferment of the 1960s.

THE INCUBUS OF THE SIXTIES

In every conceivable fashion the reigning ethos of those times was hostile to excellence in education. Individual achievement fell under intense suspicion, as did attempts to maintain standards. Discriminating among students on the basis of ability or performance was branded "elitist." Educational gurus of the day called for essentially nonacademic schools, whose main purpose would be to build habits of social cooperation and equality rather than to train the mind."
The Other Crisis in American Education - The Atlantic

Much more at the link.

How's that dumbed-down for equal outcomes but supposedly "socially cooperative" thing working out?

BLM... "safe spaces"... accusations of "racism" at every action/utterance...

Old 08-26-2016, 07:18 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Your seniors seem to like the nanny state health care.
That's because they can use their pre-paid benefits (minimum of 10 years of pre-paid Medicare tax payments required for eligibility) at private facilities. Is the same true of K-12 public schools? Can students and their families choose whichever school they want, public or private?

Old 08-26-2016, 07:23 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's because they can use their pre-paid benefits (minimum of 10 years of pre-paid Medicare tax payments required for eligibility) at private facilities.
If seniors "pre-paid" for Medicare then it wouldn't be running a $300 billion annual deficit.

Quote:
Is the same true of K-12 public schools?
No, K-12 doesn't create the sort of unfunded liabilities to the Federal Government as Medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies